Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What paintballs

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Paint is so over priced for what it is. Other than doing one of the big walk ons many years ago, I've never been able to check out different paints and their quality as my local site made you buy from them. All to make profit.
Isn't that what the site is there for? It is a business after all......... no site = no paintball.

Michael_Peat

Aug 17, 2014
I fully accept that there is money to be made buy only allowing to buy on site. But they make so much money from regular public, they could allow for players to bring their own choice paint for walk on days. I'd even be happier to pay a slightly higher playing fee, so the site is still benefiting, for the privilege. Just a thought. Although I never had any major issues, a lot of people I went on walk ons with complained about using a lower grade paint for a higher price of better grade paint that they could buy from paintball shops. Mike

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I fully accept that there is money to be made buy only allowing to buy on site. But they make so much money from regular public, they could allow for players to bring their own choice paint for walk on days. I'd even be happier to pay a slightly higher playing fee, so the site is still benefiting, for the privilege. Just a thought. Although I never had any major issues, a lot of people I went on walk ons with complained about using a lower grade paint for a higher price of better grade paint that they could buy from paintball shops. Mike
This is the age old argument with walkons

For punter play it's fairly obvious - they take greater resources, use the rental gear, need full marshalling and all the cleanup afterwards
On top of paying the staff all of that the site has to secure its overheads in an industry that is seasonal and heavily influenced by weather, there are people who even after paying deposits of £10 will just not turn up because it rains, is overcast or they have a hangover - and the staff have still been scheduled and expect payment
There are the other days when there are minimum or no bookings but crowds turn up

With walkons it's a real balance, and varies from site to site and crowd to crowd
Sites get people saying they will pay more green fee to save on paint or will then buy more paint, but when it comes down to it buy the same paint, complain about the entry price compared to others etc
There are also people who shoot limited numbers of paint - why should they subsidise the paint sprayers by paying a bigger green fee?

Site owners carefully balance their prices, and also have to manage the paint they bring in
If there is a small walkon crowd it may not warrant stocking a special better paint. When they buy by the pallet load they could be having half a pallet sat unused and ending up putting it to the punters
Also one mans best paint is another mans hated paint

Get together with the guys and agree on paint brands and grades (idealy from the sites supplier) and confirm the dates. The site will probably bring something in, the times they won't are if the walkon crowd is far too small and it's not viable or if there are constant moaners. If all they get is negative feedback and get told to change their pricing they are less inclined to change
If they get constructive ideas then they ought to be positive

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
With regard to byo paint there are a couple of reasons why sites may not allow it, there's the income theory, but that can be covered by a higher green fee for the byo player
There is also the history of how they brought in walkons. If it was started primarily as a punter site then risk assessments may state site paint only, and this is then reflected in the insurance. The site can change the risk assessment but it can mean a new insurance price
Another alternative is how walkons and punters are seperated or not. Even if they don't play together punters complain if they see the 'local pros' using their own paint