The Home Of European Paintball

What 'Really grinds your gears'?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
normally the second from the lelft if in the uk is ahead, or road markings
Actually - the ahead lane is the one that does not have a default, and should always be taken in line with road markings

To turn left is normally the left lane
To turn right or turn back on yourself are normally the right lane

For ahead there is no default, in the picture shown in the Highway Code straight ahead is the left lane, but it clearly states that for ahead always check signs and markings

On my regular routes I have a dual carriageway roundabout with the first two lanes being correct for ahead - if using the second lane then you should exit into the second lane, and there is also a town dual carriageway roundabout localy which says to use all lanes when turning right (in other words stick to whichever lane you were in on approach)

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190
186 Signals and position

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Zondo

One of eight bosses
Aug 31, 2014
United States
When I spend most of my work day fixing other people's mistakes that I can't get to anything that I needed to do without staying late.

Ben H

Grandad
Jun 2, 2013
Actually - the ahead lane is the one that does not have a default, and should always be taken in line with road markings

To turn left is normally the left lane
To turn right or turn back on yourself are normally the right lane

For ahead there is no default, in the picture shown in the Highway Code straight ahead is the left lane, but it clearly states that for ahead always check signs and markings

On my regular routes I have a dual carriageway roundabout with the first two lanes being correct for ahead - if using the second lane then you should exit into the second lane, and there is also a town dual carriageway roundabout localy which says to use all lanes when turning right (in other words stick to whichever lane you were in on approach)

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190
186 Signals and position

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

I knew people felt as strongly about this as i did! The worst offenders are the ones that then decide to pull into your lane at the last minute KNOWING they're in the wrong and then for some reason fell it necessary to land on their horn!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I knew people felt as strongly about this as i did! The worst offenders are the ones that then decide to pull into your lane at the last minute KNOWING they're in the wrong and then for some reason fell it necessary to land on their horn!
You've obviously got one of those invisible cars like mine that no one else can see

Reactions: Ben H

Ben H

Grandad
Jun 2, 2013
Obviously mate, also completely oblivious for the old fella who ploughed into me on tesco car park. I obviously attract them ;)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I'll tell you a story about car parks

I know a lady who reversed into a tank in a car park covered in cam net
(Not a public car park)

She didn't see it because it was camouflaged
However it was camouflaged in a green scheme in grey concrete car park / square

Reactions: Ben H