Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What you Expect in a Tournament

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
have an entrance that takes you straight onto the fields and have another entrance with someone on it checking i'd cards as you go through.....like at the zap indoor id cards not like millenium. i.e. those without one of those cards can't get in the area. all the kit that's being robbed is getting annoying......

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Originally posted by sjt19
Grandad, its not possible to start all the games at the same time, as they may run for 10 mio utes or 30 seconds, why waste time waiting for another field to finish when the next teams are ready?

sam:)
Whilst in principle I agree about the possible percieved waste of time, you obviously have never played in any tournament run by Doug Setters. All fields started at the same time and with no exceptions, the game timetable of game 1 starts at say 8.30 and last game at 4pm worked time and time again...I never played or reffed in any tournament organised by Doug that ran over time. The problem arises when teams don't get to the field on time so Doug said quite simply "you don't get there in time you don't play!"
When teams find that field 2 is running ahead and field 3 is behind then the gaps between games vary and then confusion sets in and the timetable goes out of the window as a field that was ahead ends up waiting for a team that wasn't aware that they were up to play in 10 mins rather than the 20 in said in the timetable. It is rare that one field will always go to time, so the "gaps" in play will even out over the entire day as far as the refs are concerned. Start all the games at the same time...so other than a torrential downpour the time table can be adherred to.

camsmith

Just call me Cam...
Jun 12, 2003
Surrey, UK
Visit site
setup area?

One other thing that I think would be a good idea, as well as a chrono area near the fields, there could be a "setup" area near the players section. This would also have a chrono (if possible), but more importantly would be an area for people to sort out problems with their markers without having to walk through the staging area for games.

As another suggestion, this may be able to have some tools made available for basic adjustments, although I doubt this is an option due to the number of these tools with the ability to grow legs. ;)

Dredgey

May 29, 2002
Bournemouth UK
Visit site
Something to consider perhaps when you want to keep the tournament running to schedule is the layout of the fields.

If they are setup to be fast fields, games rarely go to time and you are always running early which is a better situation to be in than running late.

Some fields were running up to half an hour early at Heavens Gate with Marshals being told to slow down as some teams couldn't keep up.

Just a thought.

Lee

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
In addition to the suggestion in other replys about a chrono area, I think it was suggested that a dedicated chrono judge is allocatted. This was done to very good effect at the World Cup last year so that the two teams required to play were chrono'ed and ready to go on field with the next two teams "on deck" chrono'ed and ready to go on field as soon as the game being played finished. It is the teams/players responsibility to be on time NOT the Organisors nor the Judges. Fast field setups could be argued as an idea but them only if all the fields were set this way, ideally all fields should be close to each other, as also the safe area should be too, these parts are a given. Toilets and rubbish dumping areas as well this isn't radical nor inovative but what should be at every event. More people whine when things aren't going their way, for whatever reason, and then look to the event organisor and start to pull holes in the setup as some form of vieled reason as to why the event was bad......get your own house in order before you complain about others. I witnessed a player of rather long standing giving both "polite" and "non-polite" abuse to a member of an event staff and the player was TOTALLY in the wrong and tried to lie their way out of the situation...the wrong doing would and should have meant major penalty points...it was allowed to slide but unfortunatly this situation is what is holding back ALL tournaments, players you are paying customers, yes, but you have a responsibilty to adhere to the schedule and the rules of the event, a badly postioned barricade or flapping marquee side or even an area of bouncing paintballs would be forgotten very quickly if you got your act together and stopped acting like an over paid football star and just got on with playing the game...'cos that's what it is A GAME!