Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Where do people stand on Paintball Bounce Vests?

TNT_UK

TNT_UK
Apr 18, 2015
I got badly "lit up" in a Capture the Flag Game about a year ago. It was my own fault trying to be the hero, and rushing in when greater paintball players would have waited. Twenty Five paintball hits, and requisite bruises later, from multiple opposing team players (I learned not to be the hero). I thought I would invest in a Bounce Vest, Slide Shorts, Elbow Pads and some playing trousers (another lesson learned).

I have noticed that in the paintball community opinion is divided on whether bounce vest are "cheating" or OK. I just wondered what peoples opinions of bounce vests and the like were?

I personally have invested my money, so I will wear the padding no matter what. Last time I played a game of paintball I walked away with four paintball bruises, largely because of the padding, though I will confess to have been a little bit warm towards the end of play. A bounce vest is an awesome piece of kit to wear when its cold as you are toastie, so slightly warm in the summer.

Bertz

instagram above
Nov 26, 2014
coventry
cant be classed as cheating if everyone has the choice to use one or not.

if you walk away from the day with less bruises and the feeling you enjoyed the day more then surely its a good thing to use one ,
but there not everyone's cup of tea

Reactions: NotScottyG

Narkadox

The Man With The Golden Gun
Jan 3, 2013
I like mine. When I wear mine it's usually with a T-Shirt over it and arm pads (usually too warm to wear under a jersey) so it's obvious I'm wearing one and I've never had anyone accuse me of cheating lol. At the end of the day it does what it says on the tin. Promotes bounce shots to keep you in the game longer. I can't see how someone can see it as cheating when it's a widely avaliable and pretty much standard bit of kit. I hear stuff about it not being "manly" or whatever but personally as far as I'm concerned I've earned my stripes in the pain department so I'm not really bothered what people think of it. For me it's all about staying in the game longer.

Pillage and Plunder
Jun 14, 2011
Bognor Regis
Never play without my padding (elbow/knee pads, bounce vest and slide shorts).
Got the vest after taking a couple of hits in the kidney area at a supair game and boy did that hurt, so went and got padded up the next day at LIPS.

roy2k14

FE
Oct 13, 2014
East Midland, United Kingdom
The only reason I wear bounce vest and slide shorts so that I can increase the chances of paints bouncing off me and saving me from being eliminated from the game and protect my chest from impact during a dive. Honestly I don't see wearing bounce vest as cheating or cowardice because you can't stand the pain, it's more of a smart thinking in my opinion.

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
Can't stand 'em, to be brutally honest. I find that bounce vests hinder my movement & are always too tight around my neck. The only pads I wear are arm pads, and that's only if I remember them.

Bounce vests aren't cheating by any stretch - if I'm playing someone who has a bounce vest on, i'll just shoot for the mask and leave it at that.

Reactions: TNT_UK

Ashleypowell

May 27, 2015
Im with Emisnug on this, i feel too restricted wearing a bounce vest, and i dont think its cheating, its a personal choice if you want to wear one, you have the option. plus they are helpful when diving and can absorb some of the shock from that!

*Pd.

Jun 16, 2007
As regards to 'cheating' it would have to be written into some sort of rules, which as far as I'm aware it isn't. So wear a bounce vest if you want, or don't, its personal preference, just make sure you enjoy playing the game. Simples.

TNT_UK

TNT_UK
Apr 18, 2015
Thank you everyone who replied.

Using the word "cheating" was a strong word to use, in hind sight in the original post, I should have said frowned upon. I must admit I like my bounce vest. and I don't feel restricted in it at all. The only real problem is keeping cool, as it does retain the heat.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Wouldn't play without mine. I play once a month at least and would be a permanent mass of bruising otherwise! Knee and elbow pads are essential to avoid bein injured