Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why do people cheat?

DJForbes

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2009
petitions.number10.gov.uk
your right. however stronger punishments makes reoffending a tough choice.

example. ill use paintball.

lets say you get caught cleaning of sum paint. fine you get a slap on the wrist and sent out liek you were supposed to be anyway. big deal.

however if you was then banned from 3 games would you still do it next time ?

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
cheating has been ingrained in paintball since it's conception as a sport. From the first time you played a rental game to competeing for the world cup it will happen.

Unfortunately getting away with it is usually as easy as the act, I have stood in the dead box and complained like crazy about a guy cheating then went back out and lost a hit in the very next game. Hypocritical? very but every person that has set foot on a paintball field has at some point cheated, be it lose a hit, play on or wipe but you have done it. Some unintentionally with a hit on the nose of a hopper they couldn't see but the guy that shot you can see it and makes them think what the hell, if he is doing it....

Hell i remember in the old days lists of how to cheat in magazines and quizzes on how well you cheat. this isn't a phenomenon of the xball field it's a way of diguising your short comings as a player in you're search for a win.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
your right. however stronger punishments makes reoffending a tough choice.

example. ill use paintball.

lets say you get caught cleaning of sum paint. fine you get a slap on the wrist and sent out liek you were supposed to be anyway. big deal.

however if you was then banned from 3 games would you still do it next time ?
If the chances of me getting caught were one in a million, hell yes.
Again, it's not the punishment that's the deterrant, it's the enforcement.

RobbieG1966

Shoot first .. Ask later!
Sep 20, 2009
Middle England!
My personal take on cheating is this:

It is going to happen. Fact.
Some people will get away with it. Fact.
Some people will not get away with it. Fact.

What goes around comes around.

So. It is down to who cheats, and whether or not they cheated deliberately.

You will get the chancers whose standards dont conform to anyone elses. And they probably also dont care whether or not they get caught.

You will get those who didnt know they broke a rule until they are informed.

And then there are those who are conscientious, honourable and fair minded people who will stick their hand in the air, and would be mortified to have someone think that they cheated.

Ask yourself a question. What type of person are you? You will live and play by your standards. You expect everyone else to do play by your standards. You will however have to accept (not necessarily be happy about) that other people will have standards different to your own.

How do you go about reducing cheating? As previously stated, improve the reffing is one option. Professional Rugby has gone down the route of a video referee - not that I am suggesting it here - as we are talking about events in a totally different universe of speed! It would be difficult to hold the action whilst checking the replay!

But, for example and open for debate, what if you subsequently proved (by video or otherwise) that a player was hit in a tournament game, the ref missed it at the time. Possible sanction: that player misses the next game or part thereof. Yes - the team would be one player down for some or all of their next game!

Whilst I am not saying it is possible to video every player, from every angle, in every tournament game. What I am suggesting is if the majority of people felt so strongly about the amount of cheating going on - then a solution of some sort should be possible.

Your thoughts/comments?

Hobo Mofo

I shoot to thrill
Jun 16, 2011
South West London
I play alot of punter days and the amount of guys that cheat is unreal. For example, last week me and a guy were trading paint from bunker to bunker and i clearly hit his hopper. He then poped out again about 30 seconds later with a freshly wiped hopper. What a ****!

I think what encourages people to cheat is seeing their oponents cheating.

joshypop

May 26, 2011
Essex
Cheating is a part of all sport and will remain to do so, whether we outlaw it or not. But, what grinds my gears is when i see players with blatant hits just volleying ball after ball at opponents. Makes me start to feel whether marshalls really do their jobs as well as they can, at the end of the day i realise that the marshalls cannot be everywhere. But when you get players screaming at you for a paint check you should bloody well move and check him for paint! Especially if you are getting paid for it!

My 2pence worth :)

dodge-gnome

Save a rock, throw an Ion
Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire
Cheating happens, and it changes the sport you play. Look at premiership football, the amount of dives is unbelievable.

This next comment is slightly irrelevant, but back in sixth form me and friends used to play ****head (a card game), in which we adapted it so we had to cheat as much as we could to win. The only rule was if you got caught you got punished, but when you won; all bragging rights were yours. This evolved a fairly basic and boring card game into something more exciting, which can be seen to be similar in paintball.

When it comes to tournament paintball however, i can safely say i have never actually cheated during a tournament. Sure, i've had a shot to the pack i genuinely didn't feel, and i've been pulled for it, but there's not a lot i can do about that. But when everyone else is cheating, the sport adapts with it and changes accordingly. As people before have said, if they're breaking banks to be there and they get shot on the break, they have two choices;
1 - Rule #5 and get better at running
2 - Wipe, Enjoy your day, and make the most of it.

I don't agree with 2, and generally stick to 1. But when the sport becomes as competitive as it is, there will always be those who will fight and continue to act like this so their team wins. That's sport.

I can however say i've cheated at big games. North Vs South for example. I paid an arm and a leg in tickets, transport, paint, food, tent equipment etc... And i get hit in a woods in the middle of nowhere and i'm given the choice; Walk for 15-20 minutes to the nearest spawn point and run the risk of never seeing my team/friends for the entire game, or take a few yards back behind a tree or bush, wipe off, and enjoy the rest of my day with my friends, with no direct consequence to the guy who shot me; compared to the impact it would have on a tournament game.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I can however say i've cheated at big games. North Vs South for example. I paid an arm and a leg in tickets, transport, paint, food, tent equipment etc... And i get hit in a woods in the middle of nowhere and i'm given the choice; Walk for 15-20 minutes to the nearest spawn point and run the risk of never seeing my team/friends for the entire game, or take a few yards back behind a tree or bush, wipe off, and enjoy the rest of my day with my friends, with no direct consequence to the guy who shot me; compared to the impact it would have on a tournament game.
That was you?
You sonofabitch!