Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why is air soft so popular? Is it to do with the T/A?

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Its not so much the game that's cooler, it's the guns. The guns are way, way cooler.
The guns look the same as they do in the Video Games, same names, operate pretty much the same, and can be dressed the same with all the sights, foregrips etc. Airsoft is COD/Battlefield brought to life, Paintball not so much.

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
I can tell you now mate they do not operate the same. Not even close. I suppose the real issue I have is plastic guns pretending to be the real thing and men pretending theyre soldiers when theyre not. Ive seen the real thing and that is awesome, plastic pellets and rubber knifes just arnt

Reactions: CAMDENELECTRIC

CAMDENELECTRIC

KU Nemesis
Jun 4, 2007
Newcastle Under-Lyme
Its not so much the game that's cooler, it's the guns. The guns are way, way cooler.
The guns look the same as they do in the Video Games, same names, operate pretty much the same, and can be dressed the same with all the sights, foregrips etc. Airsoft is COD/Battlefield brought to life, Paintball not so much.
Strange also how the US Army use paintball as a training aid....

bizy43

Jun 25, 2006
basingstoke
i play both so let me answer some of these question the guns mostly are not plastic some are even the real thing with internals removed they weigh the same and the kit bit is the big thing but then how many ballers you seen with all the latest kit and if you look wrong then you aint cool so as bad as each other

some of the fun of it is using combat techniques mainly cqb and section movement but no it is not any good for training

the softers have a lot of serving and ex regular and t/a soldiers (i am ex rm) and it is a breeding ground for future forces but a lot of the wannabes would not join the army cadets but just love the bull so are not candidates for forces

so whats good and bad about both well airsoft is cheaper and you get more game time down side is the bull and you get people doubting you all the time for cheating

ball is more adrenalin and better reffed but again the possers and expense is the down side

so has the change to the t/a impacted on airsoft i would say no if anything i would say that there are still units who use both for team bonding and a way to let of steam
and just for the record ball always come 1st for me

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
They don't use paintball in preference to airsoft due to any reality.
For more 'reality' they use the real thing with blanks, but avoid shooting at each other, the real thing with lasers to get an indication of kills, and paintball to bring in the element of avoiding pain
There is no need for the look of airsoft in training

By the way its not very common but paintball is available in the British army as a training aid

Last edited:

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I do tend to generalise when I don't realy know what I'm talking about (the TA post is a classic example)
However, when it comes to Airsoft/Paintball this isn't the case.
I distribute every relevant paintball item and about 180 different types of Airsoft guns, plus all the ancilliary equipment. I supply Police forces, Swat teams, Military police, regular army and many other government agencies, up to and including the the Foundation for the Protection of Kodiak Bears (although I don't supply the Stabs, but during my stint in the US I did cut a deal with the National Guard, which is kinda the same thing (but better funded). I know what they used 5 years ago, what they use now, and what they would like to use in the future, so I am not in a position where I need to guess at current or previous trends.

They want Magfed equipment.

They have been using Tiberius products, occasionally Milsig, very occasionally they use M98's, but only when they called Tippmann first, and got sold the wrong gear. Agencies that train with simulated rounds choose the Tiberius product because the First Strike round is the same size and has much the same flight characteristics. Those that are not training with simmunition, will switch to airsoft with their next purchase.

I can tell you now mate they do not operate the same. Not even close. I suppose the real issue I have is plastic guns pretending to be the real thing and men pretending theyre soldiers when theyre not. Ive seen the real thing and that is awesome, plastic pellets and rubber knifes just arnt....
The Airsoft guns I'm talking about actually eject spent shells when you fire. They are all metal, and have simulated blowback recoil. They are the closest thing I have ever seen to real firearms, and I handle real firearms regularly. I also know the guns you're talking about. I sell both types. people don't want the cheap plastic stuff anymore.

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
.......infact I know a company commander who has never been on tour and turned up on Ex with a civvy daysack and a wax jacket. Im sure there are certainly Regular equivalents....

.....They're not Walts, as unfortunately many of the milsim and airsofters are...
Don't be dissing the civilian daysack, back in the 80s we sent an army off too war carrying their equipment in day daysacks and suitcases

Regarding walts - do remember a walt is not purely someone who plays soldiers in the woods (and do remember the difference between woodsball and milsim) but a walt is someone who falsely claims and impersonates the real thing

CAMDENELECTRIC

KU Nemesis
Jun 4, 2007
Newcastle Under-Lyme
Fairenough Missy, I have never played airsoft or milsim paintball so I dare say you have far more experience on the matter. I was just commenting on the TA side of your post. I assume you know what STAB means? Not the best thing to call TA soldiers :p

CAMDENELECTRIC

KU Nemesis
Jun 4, 2007
Newcastle Under-Lyme
Don't be dissing the civilian daysack, back in the 80s we sent an army off too war carrying their equipment in day daysacks and suitcases

Regarding walts - do remember a walt is not purely someone who plays soldiers in the woods (and do remember the difference between woodsball and milsim) but a walt is someone who falsely claims and impersonates the real thing
Oh dont worry I know the difference, although some of the people you see at sites do seem to blur the line slightly....

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
My point being, if you think paintball will win a race against airsoft because it's cooler, and is a 'Sport', then I don't think you're correct. Most of the people (I estimated last year that the number was 75%, and I still think thats ballpark-correct) that buy airsoft never shoot that gun at anyone. They bought it because it looked cool (like a real gun) and they mainly shoot beer cans in their back yard. Paintball does not attract this customer.