Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why paintball will never be football. (Popularity)

Oct 1, 2012
London
www.youtube.com
The paintball - airsoft debate is settled by two things. First is what you want out of your hobby; airsoft is a much more milsim based hobby, whilst paintball is a more competitive sport. Also price, correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), airsoft overall including weapons and ammunition is cheaper over a long period than paintball.

That's my 2cents any way.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
Not the case , the vast majority of Paintball is played as milsim , have you ever been to a big game ?

3/4 years ago none of the big names (Angel ,Dye, Planet Eclipse) promoted any type of military accessories on there sites (other than the camo comeback for ironic purposes) ,now they all produce a milsim marker or add on ..

Out of the small minority of us that play tournament paintball there is stil a portion who also dont consider it a sport.

Last edited:

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
I don`t know why people go on about comparing Paintball to Football, I first came over here to England when I was 8, stayed with my Grand Parents until parents got a house as most of the houses were Bombed to ruins or propped up at the side to keep them in line from the WW2, There were NO televisions then, only radio`s, after the War everybody was on a Massive Huge Party that went on and on for years, My Grand Parents were the only people to have a Television in the whole street, Yeah I can remember the little school girl in front of a Blackboard as a warm up and to tune in properly, anyway there wasn`t much going on BUT we were glued to the TV just to see something, then it would go off for a while until a certain time to come back on again, we watched this right up to the end then watched the Dot disappear from the screen. My point here is that the Television Network BBC had to find something that was Entertaining enough to get a viewers rating, so they tried Football, and Wow !! it was a hit !! but not without It`s faults, such as , and I can remember buying them .. Hard toed football boots, because that`s how players hit them .. with there toes, not like to day to get your foot underneath, the goalie could only bounce the ball 3 x times before he had to get rid of it, absolutely No movement from a goalie at penalties, No-One understood the off side rules, It was just Boot and hope one of your players gets the ball, every thing changed when a Mr Stanley Mathews and a few others showed the world skills with Dribbling.
Hey, all this to get entertainment onto TV, most people didn`t have much money then and Pubs were Booming on every street corner, those that stayed at home either listened to the radio or watched ( Usually somebody elses ) if they could anything that was entertaining.
IT TOOK TIME to get where it is today, and Richly Deserved Too.
Price of a Pair of Paintball Trousers, second hand at that, is more than a footballers whole kit and ball.
I tried to put an advert in the National Newspapers on PAINTBALL , Knowing it`ll cost me probably a few thousand Pounds, and all 5 x Major Newspapers either passed the buck to another department then Hung up or If I was lucky, they Hung up straight away , saves money on the phone bill perhaps, Even they are Blind to the fact of Paintball being a Sport or at least pretend to be, What`s more at the time I had all the Stats and Rankings , who , what and where most of the UK Teams were Playing.
I`ve had reporters say they`ll come to different Events... They don`t even turn up !!
I have come to the Conclusion that the Government have Gagged the Newspapers on ANYTHING related to GUNS
If it doesn`t get Published , It will never get to the Masses.
I say Bring Back PGI , at least it was on the shelf for anybody to see !!!
Not everybody uses a Computer in the way we do !!!

Oct 1, 2012
London
www.youtube.com
I don`t know why people go on about comparing Paintball to Football, I first came over here to England when I was 8, stayed with my Grand Parents until parents got a house as most of the houses were Bombed to ruins or propped up at the side to keep them in line from the WW2, There were NO televisions then, only radio`s, after the War everybody was on a Massive Huge Party that went on and on for years, My Grand Parents were the only people to have a Television in the whole street, Yeah I can remember the little school girl in front of a Blackboard as a warm up and to tune in properly, anyway there wasn`t much going on BUT we were glued to the TV just to see something, then it would go off for a while until a certain time to come back on again, we watched this right up to the end then watched the Dot disappear from the screen. My point here is that the Television Network BBC had to find something that was Entertaining enough to get a viewers rating, so they tried Football, and Wow !! it was a hit !! but not without It`s faults, such as , and I can remember buying them .. Hard toed football boots, because that`s how players hit them .. with there toes, not like to day to get your foot underneath, the goalie could only bounce the ball 3 x times before he had to get rid of it, absolutely No movement from a goalie at penalties, No-One understood the off side rules, It was just Boot and hope one of your players gets the ball, every thing changed when a Mr Stanley Mathews and a few others showed the world skills with Dribbling.
Hey, all this to get entertainment onto TV, most people didn`t have much money then and Pubs were Booming on every street corner, those that stayed at home either listened to the radio or watched ( Usually somebody elses ) if they could anything that was entertaining.
IT TOOK TIME to get where it is today, and Richly Deserved Too.
Price of a Pair of Paintball Trousers, second hand at that, is more than a footballers whole kit and ball.
I tried to put an advert in the National Newspapers on PAINTBALL , Knowing it`ll cost me probably a few thousand Pounds, and all 5 x Major Newspapers either passed the buck to another department then Hung up or If I was lucky, they Hung up straight away , saves money on the phone bill perhaps, Even they are Blind to the fact of Paintball being a Sport or at least pretend to be, What`s more at the time I had all the Stats and Rankings , who , what and where most of the UK Teams were Playing.
I`ve had reporters say they`ll come to different Events... They don`t even turn up !!
I have come to the Conclusion that the Government have Gagged the Newspapers on ANYTHING related to GUNS
If it doesn`t get Published , It will never get to the Masses.
I say Bring Back PGI , at least it was on the shelf for anybody to see !!!
Not everybody uses a Computer in the way we do !!!
Okay... I'm not comparing it to football, I'm saying it will never be near the popularity of football.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
bring out the zimmer frame and i will contact the people i work for AGE UK for care bear and give him a big hug.
sorry care bear you can`t drop this on the players of today,they don`t understand it`s not FREE :p

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
I was just trying to say , It takes time for anything good to come across to anyone, Have You tried to tell somebody , anybody !! that you`ve got something very good or amazing... They just Don`t believe you !! Then walk away.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Yes 99% have played football in their life... But do not play it as a sport, often and play it seriously. Unlike paintball.
Nonsense, its all we did at school, at lunchtimes, 1 hour of footie, everyday and not a competition. I also play footy every wed evening, a bunch of guys who just go for fun. Nothing serious.

Paintball is not a sport. We compete against each other, yes, but thats a very small minority. At best, paintball is a weekend hobby for 99% of the participants.

People who literally are just getting into the sport will be deterred by price. Doing anything to play, if you do that than that is pretty reckless. I know people who quit playing it regularly due to the price, yet they love the sport. E.g college fees, other schooling and just paying bills are more important than paintball should ever be to you. It's just a hobby/sport after all.
If you want to play paintball, you will find the money. If you quibble about price of stuff, you probably dont want it that bad. Paintball is expensive, no doubt about that, but there are plenty of other hobbies/sports that are equally or more expensive. Im not advocating selling the dog and not eating to play pball, all im saying is if you are serious......really serious, you will find the money to play.

People often want the best, its human nature, people don't want a rusty ex rental tippman when they start out nowadays. The game is too competitive, you won't normally have as much fun with a semi, mechanical marker, whilst being blasted by a ramping EGO.
And they want the best for nothing right? Yes, thats human nature alright.

No-one said anything about a rusty ex rental tippman. There are plenty of cheaper options out there. Why are you only dealing with this debate at the extreme end of things? "Oh well if you dont buy an EGO, the only option is an ex rental rusty Tippman" ludicrous logic there pal.

Please reply to this, I'm not arguing, I just like debating with people who don't just shout at you if you don't agree with them :)
I know you arent arguing, all cool here mate!

Last edited:

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
No-one said anything about a rusty ex rental tippman. There are plenty of cheaper options out there. Why are you only dealing with this debate at the extreme end of things? "Oh well if you dont buy an EGO, the only option is an ex rental rusty Tippman" ludicrous logic there pal.
It's one thing the industry can definitely pride itself on, is that there is no real jump from going from a 'beginners' gun to a 'pro level tournament gun'. As above if you want to play you will find the money. whether that's £1000 or £150 it doesn't matter but the good thing is at both extremes and everything in between there is an option for everyone. I'm glad that while i was working my ass off at the start of uni i was able to save quite quickly and get myself a geo, rotor, guerilla, grillz etc i know i definitely couldn't do that now and i'm just glad that i've still got a good setup that has lasted me well. But if it came down to it and i needed to get a hold of a full setup for CPPS by 7th April for £200, i know i could find something.

Chenko0860

Jun 7, 2013
Aberdeen, Sco, UK
Most sports could say the same about football. Football is a global behemoth with 24 hour news updates, multi billion pound media deals, established teams with state of the art stadia, filled with passionate, almost tribal fan bases that have had the customs and traditions installed in them since birth. To play footy will cost you about £100 for your favourite teams kit, 100-£200 for a top pair of boots, £20 for shinnies and a tender for a ball. There are five/7 a side sites all over the country and plenty of grassy fields if you don't want to pay.

I think the culture in the UK is that a) guns are bad. B) paintball is for military try-hards. C) it's expensive.

I play woods all because I enjoy it. Not because I want to pretend I'm in the SAS. however I do chortle to myself at the fellas who turn up wearing full military gear complete with body armour, tac vests, ISAF patches, etc. to the rental player who may be swayed, that is also what they are seeing. And it's not cool.

And yes paintball is expensive. I've been playing for years but only recently got to a level of income where I could justify splashing out on my own kit (I'm 29, and stay in aberdeen, one of the uk's most affluent cities.) my point there being that if kids parents don't get inboard with paintball, under the belief 'guns are bad', there is no way the kid will take up the sport.

Turned out to be a bit of a rant but hey, I'm passionate.

Reactions: Care_Bears

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I think the culture in the UK is that a) guns are bad. B) paintball is for military try-hards. C) it's expensive.
I'm going to agree with you in overall principle but disagree on some points
A) I disagree that there is a uk culture that guns are bad, and this impacting on paintball
Yes - 'gun culture' is pretty much accepted as bad. But not a culture in Britain that guns are bad
There are people who think guns are bad. But also amongst them are intelligent parents that consider restricting children from guns makes the child more obsessive about guns
The 'anti gun' debate is often quoted but I see most of this originating from US arguments where there is a major complex of contradictory arguments
The element of the uk where this was relevant was the Michael Ryan incident. This almost ended paintball, it is people such as the UKPSF that got us through that. It is the only major point I'm aware of in the uk where there has been a true avoidance of a camouflaged paintball image. We got through it

B) paintball is for military try hards/ wannabies
What about air soft? They don't seem to have a bad general perception from the public
The general perception of paintball that I have seen is that it is for stag & birthday parties
C) no need to comment - paintball needs money spent. It's like drinking - you just shoot your money instead of pouring it into a urinal

I'll defend the assault vest type as I'm one of them, it's not all about pretending to be army. However there are those who do
This does not mean it puts people off. It could put some off and could be of interest to others
On an equal basis there are people who think the power rangers in paintball look funny, and equally for each type of paintballer who gets looked at by a rental player you give a first impression. Whether you are Rambo, a power ranger or something inbetween you give a first impression, when you play you give a second impression
All the gear no idea, or punter hunting don't give a good impression. Talking with rentals does

Reactions: Biscuit