Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

WOODLAND or Suppair

MJ

IM AGG...my mom says
Oct 24, 2007
Tamworth
you mean there are still trees down south?

this is an outrage.

also

find me a perfectly identical sup air field.

they are never identicle, walk both sides of the field there will be something on one side that is not the same as the other, i.e. this sunday at the masters, on one side there was a lane that could be shot without being seen or being shot at, on the other side it was different and harder to get.

bunkers are never in exactly the same place on both sides.

yes, maybe not always identicle. but you dont have 20 bunkers infront of one team and 2 the other where as woodsball you have to sprint an awful lot to get that advantage on your opposing team. There could be gradient difference or more obsticles in the way. if you read my original post i dont think i bad mouthed the woods. (if i did i didnt intend too) i was trying to counter other arguments so it didnt become a woodsball or supair bashing thread. i enjoy woodsball an awful lot and as i have NPF Bassets Pole just up the road then i shouldnt hate woods as this is one of the best sites in the uk.

this is all i have to say now. paintball is a great game and people are to quick to jump and argue over petty things, it gets to a point where it gets annoying and threads like this should be deleted because nothing has come out of it.

:D

mophead

dont really care
Apr 15, 2007
Newcastle
Hmm... maybe we will come up t'noth lad and show you a thing or two with our new 5 man squad.. what team were you at Holmbush?? not team5 who won the day i hope.. :rolleyes:.. not much playing on or wiping going on with them me thinks..

they would have been madmonks

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Box! You and Martin are certainly old school and I fully understand why you like/prefer woods ball.
But times have changed and progression has taken place and I think overall for the greater good.
Don't get me wrong my favourite type of paintball is and has always been woodsball and the recent resurgence of that format is nice to see and I have a game now and again myself.

But I am afraid you are wrong about the skill set the old school guys had/have.
Of course if we take on the Sup-air guys in a woodland game I would suspect for a while we would have the upper hand but not for long, I still do OK in the woods but it is getting harder every game and the divide that used to be quite large is now just a matter of time......

I run a sup air tournament series and a couple of years ago Marcus wanted to come back into the game and try his hand, out of respect for his previous position in the game and the abilities I remembered he had I agreed to put him in division one because he had played a few tourneys down south and as he put it "won comfortably" He had with him a few old school players and a few new ones.

In four events his team came last or second to last every time, he was still the same guy (even if he was a little bigger) and his determination to win was still as great as ever but he and the rest of the team did not have the skill set required in the modern game, he may have acquired it given time but the transition is not as simple as you want to believe it is, and I think you and Martin and a few others among us old school players look at previous achievements through rose tinted specs.

Visually the modern game is a lot better and it is the only format that the public will see on TV and they have done quite a few times, including Sky Sports for a season a couple of years ago.

Do the modern guns make a difference! of course they do but did gun cheats that some used give us a similar advantage a few years ago? the thing is modern guns are controlled, technology is used to make sure nobody has an unfair advantage over others so in the main the deciding factor should always be the skills the team has.
Refs are far better and there is nowhere the amount of cheating that there used to be in the game.
The better teams are organised like we never were and physical fitness is a primary requirement for those players, in short it is a whole new world and as the great man Bob Long told me at the end of last year "we are just too old for it"

Russ

Leezo

Official Planet Eclipse Tech
Aug 21, 2007
Leadgate
I would like to say that I was all for supair and didnt want to play woodsball until the IONMAN series started. I was a bit shell shocked on my first event, but really enjoyed my second and found that I really liked it, the good thing is that the next event is Sup Air which I love.
I think this is a brilliant competition to give both type's of player a chance to try the other format and might actually be surprised that they like it.
At the end of the day, like I have always said
' I just want to play Paintball' :)

shadowblade

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2007
surrey
This made for a great read everyone i enjoyed that perhaps i should get a life lol
shadlad you have played box in the woods as they were team blow at holmbush in November not sure who won???
As you no i love the woods and i am doing my best down south to get things going in 5 man woodsball next event is fully booked a month early so its looking good for us.But on the other hand sup-air is struggling as the nspl has low turnout d7 is good but only 2/3 events to be held down here rest are Manchester apart from that not a lot happening i dont think.i could be wrong ???
It would be great to do ionman type event down here i might try you no sup-air and woodsball together where they belong.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE READ.LMAO

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
But on the other hand sup-air is struggling as the nspl has low turnout d7 is good but only 2/3 events to be held down here rest are Manchester apart from that not a lot happening i dont think.i could be wrong ???
to be fair , you say sup air is struggling because the NSPL are having low turn out, well my first point is the NSPL hasn't even had its first event yet, so maybe a premiture predicition. (not saying that it wont be accurate tho, who knows?)

secondly you have seemed to completely ignore the Freekz series, and the Southern Masters events.

Freekz is an awesome site, with some of the most pristine fields and grass i have seen outside of a bowls pitch. The staff are friendly (a little too friendly at times, i'm looking at you kitch) They happily make the newest of players at home or the most experienced (nexus even train there)

I have only attended one of their touneys but it was full, very competetive and yet almost casual at the same time, really awesome atmosphere

As for the Southern masters, This was very well organised (from what i hear, thats to be expected from Wendy) again very competive while not so casual in atmosphere it was still friendly. fields were good and the marshalling was on the whole very good to as was the turn out.

...so basically what i think i am trying to say (but have rambled on a tangent some what) is that the sup air seen is triving and diversifieing here down south:D

BOX

Oct 3, 2003
Kent
www.babyteeth.freeserve.co.uk
Box! You and Martin are certainly old school and I fully understand why you like/prefer woods ball.
You calling me old Russ!? Finally a more reasoned argument, like I said, Martin didn’t say all Supair players have small cocks.

In four events his team came last or second to last every time, he was still the same guy (even if he was a little bigger) and his determination to win was still as great as ever but he and the rest of the team did not have the skill set required in the modern game, he may have acquired it given time but the transition is not as simple as you want to believe it is, and I think you and Martin and a few others among us old school players look at previous achievements through rose tinted specs.
Personally I wouldn’t expect to go straight in to a 1st Div playing Supair and win against every team but then my ego was never that well developed compared to some. The truth is I guess, that I have no idea at what level the guys that I have played against over the last 2 years are, all I know is that the old guys I have played with have dominated pretty much every time we have played, whether that be woods or supair, only time will tell us what that means. Stands to reason that anyone who plays Supair every week is going to have an advantage over us, my thinking though is not based entirely on those rose tinted days.

Do the modern guns make a difference! of course they do but did gun cheats that some used give us a similar advantage a few years ago? the thing is modern guns are controlled, technology is used to make sure nobody has an unfair advantage over others so in the main the deciding factor should always be the skills the team has.
Refs are far better and there is nowhere the amount of cheating that there used to be in the game.
The better teams are organised like we never were and physical fitness is a primary requirement for those players, in short it is a whole new world and as the great man Bob Long told me at the end of last year "we are just too old for it"
I don’t really agree totally with Martins opinion on markers, and now that we have them I don’t see anyway back. I just feel it’s a shame that so many think that being able to lay a ton of paint is a skill needed over accuracy. As for cheats, well if the rumours are to be believed this still goes on… Bluetooth is a wonderful thing, just look for the laptop near the sidelines… that’s all I’m saying
Box

tiffer

Ha,ha....................
May 31, 2005
Visit site
Can argue about this all day,perhaps longer without using such big words..
Contradictions abound in this thread.
We played Holmbush with the older geezers,don't underestimate them,they are a joy to watch,getting beaten by them with old school markers is no disgrace,some of these were the best in the country @ one time and some of the posters on here weren't even born.
If you're balling we all have something in common madness:rolleyes:,and if you can turn you hand at either discipline you will find it very rewarding and also find more places to play.
I'll play anything and I will laugh hideously when I'm enjoying myself,not sure which I prefer but fate dictates that I play more woods than sup',don't write either off try them both,apart from big games which I think are 5hit:eek:,personal experience being the reason.
Have you got valid reasons for not liking either...can't see it here except the usual skill level deb8...