Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Woodland Tournaments; the great tactical equalizer

samdudin

Oct 16, 2002
London
Visit site
People talk about woodland rec-ball vs. tournament sup'air as if there aren't any woodland fields on the tournament circuit anymore. Not only are they there, but if you're a new tournament team with little sup'air experience, but loads of woodland rec-ball experience under your belt, then I would highly recommend woodland tournament. Basically, its a great tactical equalizer.

Some teams practice on sup'air every weekend, and are competent and confident. But put them on an unfamilar, woodland field, with wider angles, unusual bunkers, and a myriad of unique properties, and they could end up so stunned they that are being beaten that they'll resort to Dead Man Walking to claw back fistful of points, before finally being maxed out (you know who you are). In short, the randomness of the fields makes them great to play on.

Admittedly, problems arise when people use inappropiate tactics in the woods. Occassionally, people who usually slide hard into bunkers on smooth sup'air fields use the same technique in the woodland and shatter their knees. But paintball is often promoted as an extreme sport. Just look at the image that sponsors and top teams are trying to project. And extreme sports are called extreme sports primarily because they are dangerous. So earn your image, and don't worry if the fields aren't always smooth lawns.

samdudin

Oct 16, 2002
London
Visit site
Certainly does

Didn't see it happen, but never hear anyone in so much pain in all my life, although he dealt with it quite well, considering. And on another occassion, a mate of mine broke his leg in a woodland, but that was mainly because his team mates had persuaded to stop wearing his big boots, and wear a more lightweight shoe instead. Moral of the story; where what you like, and that gives you the support you need, because its your leg. Anyway, injuries are one of the reasons why some teams don't do woodland tournaments.

samdudin

Oct 16, 2002
London
Visit site
Originally posted by Sean Diamond
I never new there were woodland tourney's! Are there any in the midlands area?
Have a look on www.series2002.co.uk
They're not doing Kidderminster Paintball Park (which is all woodland) next year, which I think is a shame, as I really enjoyed it, but there might be some woodland play at Skirmish Nottingham

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Originally posted by rancid
Sweet baby Jesus.
Hehehe.

Dragon's Lair in Essex still run woodland tournys.

Eurosplat, Sidcup, APG, Holmbush.....great days. Always preferred woodland myself - Sup Air tends to be mainly volume of paint and fast moves, woodland games can be the same, but generally offer a wider range of tactics in order to win.

Tony - Stupid Troopers

NorTees massive!
Jul 11, 2001
NorTees
Visit site
As far as i'm away series 2003 is going to be all supair, except for the woodland Simply the Best leg at Wakefield.

i agree that woodland paintball can be a great leveller, if only cos it doesn't make a great deal of difference how tight you can play when there's great big holes in your bunker, or how accurate you can shoot when there's a bloody big bush in the way.

Also alot of woodland games end in a stalemate due to the fields not encouraging aggresive play.

if you want to play woodland then thats up to you, but personally i'll stick to Supair.