Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Woods ball or speed ball?

KIA

Dude, to an extent I agree with you. 'Woodsball' is responsible for the creation of the tourny scene, after all, we have only taken 'capture the flag' or 'center flag' out from the forest and into the open where crowds can gather more easily. I have not many problems with woodsball.

Its senario ball that bothers me.

Think about it; A soldier is fatally wounded on a foreign battlefield thousands of miles away from home and he screams desperately for a medic, he then recieves urgent treatment in an attempt to cease the blood from pouring out of his wound. Sadly however, as has happened many times in Iraq, Afganistan, Northern Ireland, the Balkans etc, this soldier dies.

Now imagine a senario game designed to replicate an important battlefield, say (as is common), the beach landings on D-Day, where once shot out of the game you are entitled to call for a 'medic' and become active again. Or when you are shot in the mask and are told jokingly by a team mate that 'if that were real, you would be dead!'. Funny sh*t, that.

I disagree with senario ball as it simply takes the sporting element away from paintball and turns it into something ugly and encourages all that is wrong with society today. I do not wish to associate my beloved sport with the act of war.

Pippi

Jul 24, 2005
MN, USA
Visit site
KIA

I respect your opinion on scenario ball, as I do everyone who was kind enough to post about this subject.

I play all types of paintball and my true love is woodsball and scenario ball. The team I have joined plays all three, though they are on woodsball courses. So of course we all where camoe but we do brighten it up alot with colored bands and material.

KIA brought about a good point about people out there cracking jokes about how 'you'd be dead by now' once hit in a Scenario game. We deal with that alot and do not feel that it is appropiate. Most of my teammates are either in the military or were in the military so at least with us, the respect for our men and women serving is there. That is not the case with all, unfortunately.

One of the reasons I like scenario ball is that it involves and relies on the imagination more so than the others. It also tends to attract people who do time period reinactments and understand that this is not real, but that we have a role to play for the next however many minutes, and since they are used to playing a role, they have the ability to slip easily into it and bring the enjoyment level up while maintaining what the goal of the small or big team is. (not just reinactors have this ability, it is intended as an example)

The toughest part is the people who take it too far and too serious. They tend to put a bad taste in everyone's mouths. But every side of the sport has those people. I really disliked speedball the first few times I played because I was around them. When I finally went back to a course with some of my mates I had the most fun and would encourage anyone to give it a try.

I believe it is the people who make this sport.

Anyone in this sport should atleast give all aspects a try, as those who have posted here have done. At the very least, they should try both speedball and woodsball, seeing that scenario ball is not too far off from woodsball the two can be incorperated on a smaller scale.

Thank you for your insight and opinions. I just joined this forum and wasn't sure if I should post on the subject but I'm glad I did.

KIA

Thank you Pippi for your opinions on the matter also.

You have said in greater detail what I have been attempting to say.

I have much respect for your argument and hope that with more people like you involved, senario ball we be taken in the right direction.

mutley

scaba frashin mnnnn
Oct 29, 2003
lurking around surrey
Visit site
kia i think perhaps your getting senaro confused with milsim take a look at the war of the roses senario couldnt be further from the army type stuff at all.
milsim is somthing differant altogether not my cup of tea but hey differant stokes and all

KIA

Yes milsim is considered as a standalone version of paintball that is used by the military for training purposes as well as by military freaks etc...

However this is a different argument regarding the classification of the various elements of paintball. I still hold my opinions, however, on senario as well as milsim. As said before; I agree with Pippi's views and hope that with enough people sharing the correct attitude to this particular past-time, there will be less crimes involving the use of paintball equipment and degradation of the feats achieved by actual soldiers during actual war and combat.