woodsball manifesto. Tyger ....Comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I can't let this thread die without spoon-feeding this prik phillips and so here goes:- Whenever I try to explain things, I won't deal in bullsh1t or trivial speculation etc.
I try to approach things as scientifically as I can , it maybe sounds a tad pretentious but in this way, I leave myself less open to the bullsh1tters and people who just 'like' to argue (Brocktwit and co) and it also disarms any real critics who try to challenge it.

Anyways, we can look at woodsball only by acknowledging the following, when we define woodsball, we really mean 'as it is played' i.e. by the players.

And so, when we compare woodsball to tourney, what we are really comparing is not the definitive but the practical i.e. the teams and players who actually participate.
To address this comparison any other way is nonsensical.
Ok so far, and what's good for woodsball in terms of practical definitions we can also apply to tourney in that when we look at tourney play, we really mean, we are really looking at its exponents, the players and teams.
And so to address the problem of comparing respective levels of skill in each discipline, we are really looking at its respective player base and the demands placed upon people who play in each environment.

And so, if we look at the average tourney baller, we don’t even have to take a look at the pros here because a middle order amateur team will suffice for the purposes of this comparison.
These teams will train, they will drill, have an ethos of improvement that runs parallel to other serious sporting philosophies.
The main goal for a tourney baller is an improvement of play, to try and secure better results and to this end, a tourney baller will endeavor to find out the best training regimes etc and apply themselves to the task in hand.
Tourney guys will look upon training as an intrinsic and wholly necessary component to how they play paintball.
This is an important point here because training is all about reductionism and application, a basic training tenet which is recognized in every other serious sport.

Now, lets take a look toward woodsball, their whole ethos is different, it’s not based on results, its based around enjoyment (and good luck to them) and being competitive is secondary to these guys, sure they like to win but if they were that serious about winning then wouldn’t we be seeing reams of woodsballers going through drills, warm up routines, reductionist philosophies of training etc etc etc.
And they do not !!!!
The distinction is now being clearly drawn here because each discipline (tourney and woods) is defined by its player base and as we have seen the player bases are vastly different in mindset and commitment, and especially how they prepare.

And so, if we acknowledge this distinction between players (and their respective approaches) then it’s a simple matter of concluding tourney ball must be on a higher technical plane because tourney ball is an emergent property (as it is played) of guys training many hours with core disciplines of drills and practice, as against the woodsballers almost non existent training regimes.

This ain’t rocket science here, all it takes is a little thought and people like tyger (miaow) and phillips will still remain unconvinced because they are either too stupid or too bigoted, in tyger’s case he probably qualifies for both as does phillips but hey, it takes all sorts and I am glad woodsball (or ‘woosbal’ as Phillips more appropriately calls it) plays host to these two guys and tourney ball isn’t inflicted with their presence.

WKD

Apr 7, 2002
East yorkshire
Visit site
Ya ok what ever you say.:eek: Here let me help you it wasnt to hard. BTDT= Been There Done That

Go get yourself on TV and have fun. How come Dodge Ball has a real governing body and after 20 years paintball doesnt. Ya its a real sport all right
I knew exactley what it meant the smilie does actually represent being sacastic as i put at the end anyway heres one for you T O O T A ;) .

Anyway i have fun playing sup air but i also take it alot more seriously now than i ever did playing woodsball at tourney level as i stated before woodsball isnt going to set the world of media alight though neither is sup air but it is more commercially viable and spectator friendly. So thats probably the main reason apart from the skill level needed as already outlined by Robbo and others that woodsball wont get the same recognition as sup air tourney ball.
But that it still not to say that it doesnt have a place in our sport to help introduce the future ballers of tomorrow.

As for a governing body to be honest i dont know may be because at the moment there are far to many fingers in the pie all trying to get a slice of it. Though i also think probably there is far too much politics in the sport with people trying to make as much money out of it in the process, but then again Rome wasnt built in a day :cool:

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Well, that was fun and decrypting Phillips wasn't too time consuming.
What I fail to understand (and the hidden clue Phillips failed to recognize) is why does/did Tyger feel compelled to write his manifesto in the first place if he's perfectly content to anonymously run around in the woods all day? The only ones fueling the woods vs. tourney debate anymore are the woodsballers. And why is that?

More pressing is the question--Will Nick be back as Frodo next time? Hmm, no. Would have to be Aragorn or that King of the Elves fella wouldn't it? ;)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
More pressing is the question--Will Nick be back as Frodo next time? Hmm, no. Would have to be Aragorn or that King of the Elves fella wouldn't it? ;)

..to make a comeback.....doesn't it imply you have to have been somebody in the first place? ... and thus nick falls at the first hurdle.
Poor nick, he always wanted to be somebody but never had the playing and / or intellectual credentials to achieve his ambition.
All he had was an almost pathological arrogance in believing he deserved such acclaim, sad really :rolleyes:

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
guys what is all the fuss about where all ballers ,but we can do without the likes of phillips and tyger.they are just trying to drive a wedge between tournie and woodsballers, at the end of the day we need each other tournie to drive the development of the sport forward in format and the technolage of equipment,and woodsball to provide a platform for rental players to progress through on their way to tournie ball or not . if not then providing an alternative for the ppl that want to play it as a hobby, but at the end of the day we are all paintballers and we should respect each other but especially the guys that have been in paintball since year dot and have a wealth of knowledge i.e robbo respect to all ballers from a woodsballer

Lemon

Baller without a willy ;)
Feb 17, 2006
Bradford
www.get-cash-back.co.uk
Well, only having benn playing (tourney that is) for about a year and a half my opinion probably doesn't carry much weight. But I would like to add my 2 p!

I don't think the two can even be compared as one is a 'game' and the other a 'sport'. I didn't even know sup air existed (as I feel neither does the public) until I met Lump. When he told me he played paintball I was quite disappointed as I would never be interested in running round the woods in cammo pretending to be in the army! On the contrary, on seeing my first sup air tournament my adrenaline came up just watching! I couldn't wait to try it!!

I feel the difference between woods and sup air is like Archers competing in a tournament or men dressing up like Robin Hood and his men, climbing trees and shooting in the woods! I can only say I would prefer to be competing in the sport, not playing the game.

As for being happy staying annonymous (sp?) why is he therefore complaining about not getting media coverage :confused: it doesn't make sense! And with all the cammo gear on, how could they expect people to even see what they're doing, let alone want to... even if it could be filmed as easily as sup air?

Anyway, long live sup air, it's the BEST!!! :D

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
guys what is all the fuss about where all ballers ,but we can do without the likes of phillips and tyger.they are just trying to drive a wedge between tournie and woodsballers, at the end of the day we need each other tournie to drive the development of the sport forward in format and the technolage of equipment,and woodsball to provide a platform for rental players to progress through on their way to tournie ball or not . if not then providing an alternative for the ppl that want to play it as a hobby, but at the end of the day we are all paintballers and we should respect each other but especially the guys that have been in paintball since year dot and have a wealth of knowledge i.e robbo respect to all ballers from a woodsballer

Biscuit, I do respect woodsballers, I was one once a long time ago and I also respect the fact those guys play for fun and all power to them is what I say.

However, I do not respect guys like tyger who is almost pathological in his hatred of tourney play and this is based purely on his bigotry and jealousy.

If any of you ever are unfortunate enough to meet him (I have actually suffered that misfortune) then it will only take a minute or so to mark his card accordingly.
Believe it or not, I have a pretty high tolerance level of anybody who comes up to me (as long as they aren't rude or disrespectful) and will talk to anybody and generally I enjoy all that stuff but when I talked to tyger, it was immediately obvious to me he wanted to be one of the 'in' people.

The biggest tragedy is not so much tyger thinks he's important but that some woodsballers actually listen to him because they have no other real point of reference.
In real terms, within the industry, tyger is viewed as a joke, a prime example of an eccentric personality craving attention and achieving it but at the expense of being regarded by most as a clown.
I echo your sentiments, respect to all ballers, whether woods or tourney ... excepting tyger and phillips.

Oh and one last question for phillips to ponder - did you notice any feline haemorrhoids while you were there?

Status
Not open for further replies.