woodsball manifesto. Tyger ....Comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tw!sted

M0.oL FuGgeR
Oct 25, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Why does/did Tyger feel compelled to write his manifesto in the first place if he's perfectly content to anonymously run around in the woods all day?
Is there an echo in here..here..here..here? :D

EDIT ADDED: If you said something similar your post must be one of the ones I skipped over.:p Perhaps I'll have to re-think that. :) Naw. TFP:cool:

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Well, only having benn playing (tourney that is) for about a year and a half my opinion probably doesn't carry much weight. But I would like to add my 2 p!

I don't think the two can even be compared as one is a 'game' and the other a 'sport'. I didn't even know sup air existed (as I feel neither does the public) until I met Lump. When he told me he played paintball I was quite disappointed as I would never be interested in running round the woods in cammo pretending to be in the army! On the contrary, on seeing my first sup air tournament my adrenaline came up just watching! I couldn't wait to try it!!

I feel the difference between woods and sup air is like Archers competing in a tournament or men dressing up like Robin Hood and his men, climbing trees and shooting in the woods! I can only say I would prefer to be competing in the sport, not playing the game.

As for being happy staying annonymous (sp?) why is he therefore complaining about not getting media coverage :confused: it doesn't make sense! And with all the cammo gear on, how could they expect people to even see what they're doing, let alone want to... even if it could be filmed as easily as sup air?

Anyway, long live sup air, it's the BEST!!! :D

You say your opinion might not carry much weight Lemonade but actually it does, because it's a reasonable and thought out one, some people spout opinions like they were going out of fashion and when challenged, regress into an ever decreasing spiral of absurdity as they struggle to appear clever or informed (ex : phillips).

Yours makes sense and is validated by your experience.

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
'Jumpers for goal posts' and 'Champions League Football' covers the spectrum in footballing terms
Exactly...

When I started (only 5 ish yrs ago) in the woods & I'd played for a year in the woods, Parksy from Warped gave me 3 back issues of pgi & said it would be good to get myself in the loop (shiny markers bright shirts, guys hiding behind blowups was pretty new :)); had played first game of supair within the next few months and after that only played woods once after.

Comparing them; there were never the opportunities, that I could see, for a team to improve and get better, in the same way that sup'air teams for eg in the masters can progress up through the divisions; there is no measured upwards progression; no divisions, you either turn up & get trounced, or turn up & dominate the field.
I played in a 3-man tourney in the woods once but in the uk the game seems to have stagnated or even gone downhill as there aren't the high profile games or even players that there used to be, like nwk etc
http://webdog.specialopspaintball.com/video/oldschool/ halfway down under 'tournaments' the 1995 Ironmen v AA game; I've never ever seen anything like that. Unless it's in the US; there is simply nothing that big anymore in the woods (this Genesis tourney is looking good though?).

having played both I'm not 'dissing' woodsball, if they want to play for fun then that's fine; I probably will never play it again because I prefer supair and it's competetiveness and speed; how you can dissect the game & practise each part as an individual...I can see 10 man/X-ball/7man etc, as a sport, but not woodsball.

Woodsball is the feeder pop'n for supair; there's no suggestion that we should get rid of it & Robbo said that we should have more wood sites, to increase the player pool, which is right ;).

MissyQ

Jan 9, 2006
Harlem, NY
Visit site
Hey Gandalf - go xxxx yourself.

"And Gandalf your a idiot and im sure your just someone who is way too scared to come on here and post under their real name and are just out to goad people into arguements and slang matches BTDT "

Someone sussed you out on your 2nd post huh?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
...... it & Robbo said that we should have more wood sites, to increase the player pool, which is right ;).

It's not so much more sites, I think we got enough sites, over 300 I think, it's just that we need the sites that are out there to realign their thinking so they expand the product base they are offering to their customers to include Sup Air and walk ons.

Anyway, I am glad you think I am right, you'll find as you go thru your paintball life Rosie, this will become increasingly more apparent :)

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
It's not so much more sites, I think we got enough sites, over 300 I think, it's just that we need the sites that are out there to realign their thinking so they expand the product base they are offering to their customers to include Sup Air and walk ons.

Anyway, I am glad you think I am right, you'll find as you go thru your paintball life Rosie, this will become increasingly more apparent :)
True :), or maybes if they can't expand their own sites they should at least do what Warped did for me & help me along the way with telling them about the next steps- sup air, tourneys. I can't remember, I think someone on the site even told my 1st team about me, cos I never called anyone myself :).

Most don't because they want to keep them 'ignorant' of it & keep them playing wood & paying £100/box for as long as possible...which makes good business sense but in the long run for the sport it's only taking backwards steps...

Elysium

Apr 23, 2007
Bare with me here, it could be a radical thought...

I just wonder if paintball was called paintball for a reason, not sup'air as one sport and woodsball as another, that reason being that they are the same sport, with the same theories behind them, you shoot the other guy/girl before they get you, thats the same accross all paintball, no matter. Also why are we arguing, the sport as a whole requires large amounts of skill, these skills include teamwork, getting on with each other, playing to the best of your ability, and many others, which also are the same accross woodsball and tourney ball, and there is no best one, its all down to preference.

Maybe the people with the most skill are the ones who manage to play both effectively, that in my eyes requires more skill, and neither is better than the other.

If i remember rightly you cannot compare two things which are different, so neither can be better than the other.

Elysium

Status
Not open for further replies.