Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

WORLD CUP news! Avalanche caught cheating!

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Geez, Should'a said my last words for sake of clarity

Originally posted by Robbo
Well, my last word, and I am not presuming that it is anything but mine, if Baca wants to have the last word then fine.

1--Paul (Baca), what you say personally is important to you, is true but we are talking not about the players, we are talking about a sport whose premier tournament in the US can't even be bothered to cater not only for its players but for any outside potential interests.
If some guy from Coke comes down to watch the World Cup, he don't give two ****s about how you or anybody else for that matter, got judged, it's a mere technicality for him but what will make an impact is the provision made for the people who are there.

2--And I'm afraid Paul, not everybody who was there were playing the event and those that were may not be so dismissive as you concerning the facilities for themselves and their families.

Pete
Which would'a been inaccurate too apparently. :)
1--I don't disagree except that we aren't yet dealing with a "sport" but only the idea of a sport and it just seems to me that if one were to list in order of importance what needs to be fixed in order to take the next step the reffing issue is numero uno. Just my sometimes less than humble opinion. ;)
2--Again, I don't disagree but the event wasn't put on--rightly or wrongly--for people not participating. It existed and has always existed as a competition for those who chose to pay for the opportunity to play and as a payee I'm saying I'm alot more concerned about decent reffing than I am lots o' port a johns.

Steve-O
Regarding the big thread(s) on reffing and related ideas, suggestions, comments etc. of recent vintage I probably haven't. I have however read most of them and must'nt have had any huge disagreements otherwise you'd a heard them. :D I do think before you sweat the details that the institutional will and controls must be in place so the first thing I would argue for is an idependent organization and personnel to develop reffing policies within. (Unfortunately only likely as or if X-Ball develops into a real sporting variant of pball)

Manning26

Please forgive my ignorance...

but what's the friggin' difference between NPPL/PSP events and the Millenium events, as in why do U.S. players get shafted? Not counting the strange accusations against Russian Legion (at Toulouse was it?), about the worst thing I heard this season was complaints about the field/vendor layout due to size restrictions. Oh nooooo!!! Uh, that was sarcasm by the way. Anyhow, what's the difference between the promoters over here, and the promoters over there? Why does the country that boasts the most players have the worst tournaments? Why can't we have more port-a-johns AND quality reffing? Why are we still playing in pastures and not in stadiums? This past Millenium series had all of these things, although not perfect, the Millenium events are far and away superior. I'm sorry, but I just want to know why.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I gotta agree with Pete here.
Things like bad reffing only effect us, the players. Bad facilities effect everybody, and are in the long run far more detrimental to the chances of paintball ever being seen as a real sport.
A good example is the fact that every year people seem to bitching and moaning about the World Cup, saying that this was wrong, that was wrong, safety sucked, reffing was crap, blah blah. But what happens? Every year there are more teams that want to play there, and are also willing to fork out more money to do so.
If we as a whole do not ensure good facilities like toilets, bleachers, and what have you, outside people, who are the key to paintball hitting the big time, will not be interested in coming over. We're all raving about how X-ball might just launch paintball into the next level, but if these high profile event will be held in a field of mud, with no bleachers for any spectators, people will not be interested. And if there is no audience at the event itself, television will also never be really interested. Any idea how sad games (from any sport) look when there is no crowd?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Please forgive my ignorance...

Originally posted by Manning26
but what's the friggin' difference between NPPL/PSP events and the Millenium events, as in why do U.S. players get shafted? Not counting the strange accusations against Russian Legion (at Toulouse was it?), about the worst thing I heard this season was complaints about the field/vendor layout due to size restrictions. Oh nooooo!!! Uh, that was sarcasm by the way. Anyhow, what's the difference between the promoters over here, and the promoters over there? Why does the country that boasts the most players have the worst tournaments? Why can't we have more port-a-johns AND quality reffing? Why are we still playing in pastures and not in stadiums? This past Millenium series had all of these things, although not perfect, the Millenium events are far and away superior. I'm sorry, but I just want to know why.

The answer is simple, in Laurent and Niall, we (Europeans) have people who not only have the vision but have the expertise to transform their aspirations for the sport into great tournaments and a great tournament circuit.
As for the PSP and I will use Jerry as an example, they have done a great job in developing the tournament circuit over there that's for sure but when it comes to the quality of promotion, I'm afraid they have little imagination and the emphasis, consistently at the World Cup in my opinion, is on the acquisition of money and saving of expenses, there is no argument to this, no defence and certainly no mitigation.
Time and again, I have said these words, time and again Jerry could have put things right, but he does something right, like the netting and then skimps on the toilets etc.

Basically, they can't do the job as it now needs to be done.
We are not talking about catering for paintballers anymore, who self evidently put up with almost anything as several World Cups have shown.
We are trying to bring new blood, new sponsors, new spectators into our sport and this is what we give them, Stateside that is !!

Nah, Jerry can do all he likes to promote X-Ball, his World Cup and whatever but as long as he keeps f##kin up on the basics, we have little chance.
If we do make it, then it is in spite of what's been going on and certainly not because of it, as the spin man Jerry will try to have us believe.

Robbo

Manning26

Thanks for the explanation, Pete. You mentioned, as have others in this thread, how much paintballers will put up with, and we all know it's due to the monopoly that the PSP/NPPL has on top-end paintball in the 'States. There are obviously other outstanding tournaments being run year-'round over here, but nowhere outside of the former can you play the the best players in the nation. I believe it was Furby who mentioned players getting upset with the poor quality of the events and taking their money elsewhere. My next question is, "Where are we going to go?" My entire team was elated when they heard the NPPL was going 7-man next season, and finishing up at the Orange Bowl. The monopoly was broken, and it was finally going to be time for PSP to show what they could do to match. I just want the Euro's to know their collective groan extended to this side of the pond also.

Common sense can mend what's wrong with Amercan paintball, we just need someone with the dough and fortitiude to step up and take us where we need to go. I was honestly hoping X-Ball would shine through and step it up from the IAO. It was hardly even a side-show to the actual 'Cup. I agree with all of who complaining about how this looks to the outsiders coming by for a peek. It's infuriating how much the players put in for what we get out. This league isn't going through growing pains, it isn't in its awkward stage, what's the excuse!?!

rancid

Mother, is that you?
What's interesting about this thread from the past is...

Originally posted by Robbo
The answer is simple, in Laurent and Niall, we (Europeans) have people who not only have the vision but have the expertise to transform their aspirations for the sport into great tournaments and a great tournament circuit.
Robbo

Urk!

R

raehl

As we americans say...

I think somebody peed in somebody's cheerios since then. ;)

- Chris