Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Worth buying a mask?

LeFrenchToast

Mar 5, 2016
London
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to paintball. I played once for a mate's 18th and that was a long time ago but I loved it.
I want to get into it and start playing a lot and so I'm wondering, is it worth buying a mask?

Looking at the sly profit for example looks good and is a reasonable price for me, and as I'm sure many will say, a mask is the first investment.
I'm just wondering if it's too soon, I know I like the sport but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself?

New to the forum so I also want to say HI! Been reading a few posts and everyone seems so helpful. Can't wait to hear people's opinions :)

shoaibaktar

Jun 14, 2011
Toast ,hi and yes buy a mask ,the for sale section has plenty of good 2nd hand masks .Also buy a marker so you can do walk ons ,(woodsball ) or training days (tournie /sup air).Again 2nd hand is perfectly adequate .By having your own set up it will dramatically cut paint costs that rental days charge.You will obviously need a tank and hopper ,but these can also be picked up resaonably cheaply 2nd hand.Everything else you can just wear rough clothes and boots.If you play a lot gloves and protective gear will follow.But to get going ,to get playing ,meeting other ballers who will help you playing and kit wise just the marker set up and a mask to start.

Reactions: LeFrenchToast

Andrew Anderson

Mar 15, 2016
Aberdeen
YES, if you want to get into paintball then the absolute first thing that you should buy is a mask.
Mostly, the mask you use is down to personal preference. I use an eflex at the moment, never had any problems with it fogging up. JT proflexs, events, vforce grills etc are all also good masks. Just as long as you get a mask with a thermal lens.
I've never worn profits myself, so I can't really say either way about them.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Goggles are worth getting, but don't just rush out. Personal preference and comfort are most important. The most expensive and 'best' goggles could be the worst for you.

If you're free over the weekend then get over to Bricketwood where you will find the Lips shop and some teams out for tournament training.

http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/bricket-wood-weekly-training-diary-mon-14th-to-sun-20th.176578/

Go and have a look at what people have, grab a chat with some of them and look around the shop.
Try some goggles on in the shop and among players

Again take your time with everything else, to ultimately be your own walkon or team player you need goggles, gun, hopper, air, pods, a pod carrying system such as pod belt or vest, a bag to put it all in, clothes, boots / cleats / football boots / trainers, and anciallaries such as microfibres, barrel condom, barrel fluffy, tools, lube and batteries.
It doesn't all have to be paintball specific, and some will come together, but you also don't need to splash out on it all at once.

In the meantime, you can play however you like:
go back to a punter game and you will be paying the higher price for paint, but are still at an amateur level
go to a walkon and you get a cheaper price for paint, you can normally also still rent gear. With this you meet the local regulars and it could suddenly get intense but most people are friendly and you'll be looked after
(I also bet that unless you have a bottomless wallet you will spend the same amount of money paying punter or walkon prices .. the cheaper the paint is the more you shoot)
Alternatives are to try out tournament style and go out for a taster with people at training days, or go for a scenario event etc, if a walkon seems too intense and a punter game too tame then scenario is a great option where you can play the same game in any number of ways as it takes your fancy - go for a full on firefight or go sneaking around.

LeFrenchToast

Mar 5, 2016
London
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice!
I agree that going 2nd hand probably makes sense at the beginning, especially when they are so cheap around. I guess I'll have to get my post numbers up and start shopping on the For Sale section :)

Tom thanks for the heads up I'll try and head down to Bricketwood and have a chat with the peeps out there. Makes sense to try the goggles on before buying.

Super helpful guys thanks!

Toast

Hidden Hippo

Feb 15, 2011
London
The way I was advised to pick up gear was mask first, loader and marker second then bottle. I'm sticking to this plan as I progress and it seems to work well.

The most important bit of your kit is your mask - steamy masks can make your day sick, bad masks can cause injury. In my opinion, a mask (and clothing, but that's personal preference) is the only thing I have to buy new, just because peace of mind that it's been well cared for is very important to me. If I ever went second hand I would still buy a new lens, which would probably defeat the cost saving. The other advantage of buying new is that you know you're the only person to have been breathing in there.

As Tom said, there's no better way to find a nice fitting mask than trying them out. I used to use a proto mask, but found that it rather unfortunately left my ear a touch open (I can still feel it a week on). Picked up a Vforce Grill this week to use tomorrow. Much better wrap around and very comfortable.

LeFrenchToast

Mar 5, 2016
London
Cheers Hippo.
Makes sense, at the end of the day you buy a mask to keep safe so what's the point on skimping on safety. I'll go out and try a few and see what works well, I'm not too fussed on how much they cost, 70-100 is quite reasonable for something that's quite comfortable and breathable.

A little off topic but when you go walk-on with a mask, clothing and a marker/hopper, is it OK to ask to rent a bottle? I'm not sure how fields are with bringing personal kit so I have no idea if they're cool with the idea of renting out a bottle to use with your own marker.
I've also got a friend who's willing to lend me his dye rotor loader. Do you think fields in general would be against me using it with their markers?

Toast

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
yes, buying a mask, I think, will give you that incentive to play more. Not down to cost, I mean the fact that you will be able to see! My first ever game with my own mask was a game changer, no more fogging up, and I could see stuff :) made it 200% more enjoyable. Plus, if you decide paintball isn't for you, you can always sell em.

let's get your post count up, where did you play?

LeFrenchToast

Mar 5, 2016
London
I played in Canterbury down South East, can't remember the field name but it was in Harbledown if anyone's from there. It was only once and so long ago but really loved it. I think now that I'm in a stable job it's time to start again.

Looking for fields in London probably starting with Bricketwood as suggested by Tom above.
Has anyone from London tried Mayhem Paintball near Theydon Bois?

Toast

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
the people that run mayhem and bricketwood are both on these forums. Both well established venues and depending on what you want to do, between them they have everything you could want.

how long ago? Was it, pump action long time ago?