Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Worth upgrading to Planet Eclipse Etha?

shaunyo

Aug 20, 2014
Tamworth
Hi guys. I currently own a Proto Rail 2011 but have recently been offered my mates Etha for £180. The marker has only been used a handful of times so is in very good condition and only had a few cases of paint through it. I was just wondering if this would be a worth while upgrade from my rail? I know the Etha has the on/off asa, two piece 14" barrel and clamping feedneck, all which I don't have with the Rail but would it be an upgrade in terms of performance etc? Cheers :)

shaydap

Sep 5, 2011
It comes down to preference rather than a upgrade, a upgrade from a rail would be more Etek3-4.

Both markers are in the same ball park of performance and are both perfect markers to bring players into Paintball, the Etha has the back up of Eclipse themselves so parts are never too hard "not that you will need any", maintenance on the Etha is a doddle, bolt out back system easy to lube and maintain and the features you said on the Etha make it a very practical marker.

If your looking for a performance upgrade then the Etha wont give you any more performance that the Rail but don't let that put you off the Etha, ask if you can use it for a game i was really impressed by the Etha for what it is and then base your judgment from there.

shaunyo

Aug 20, 2014
Tamworth
Cheers for the reply mate, I will ask if I can use for a few games before deciding if I should go for it. I've also heard that the Etha has a bit of a kick compared to the Rail which is really smooth to shoot, is this something to be put off by? Also would you say £180 is a fair price to pay? Thanks again :)

shaydap

Sep 5, 2011
price is dependent on how well it works,looks if its clean then 180 is fair if not 150ish second hand Etha's are up and down.

It has a slight kick no more than those type of markers, its never going to be a Geo but that's why its priced well. the only mod i would do to a Etha would be get a shaft4 .689 barrel back for it . standard is 0.693

Reactions: patryk92

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
the bore size is slightly larger based on the fact its a budget gun and you may very well be shooting budget paint which on the whole will be a bit thicker. if you plan on shooting good quality paint then barrel back is worth getting.
I'd say the rail is probably a little nicer shooting but to be honest, the problems i've seen people experience with rails in terms of leaks means i would personally choose the etha to save the hassle. factor in the additional features of the asa and feedneck and i think its hands down the better overall gun.
while the etha may very well have been the better first choice, i don't think its worth 'upgrading' to the etha. I'd save your money and go for something a little more upmarket, especially if you plan on selling your rail to raise extra funds.

Reactions: shaydap

shaydap

Sep 5, 2011
689 would be best suited for 3star and over any lower then the 693 will be fine as Liam92 said its all down to what paint you use.

shaunyo

Aug 20, 2014
Tamworth
Cheers for the reply. I only really play walk on at NPF and will eventually start playing Diamond Wars, I think they usually use Empire Formula 13 paint at both. Because I only play woodsball I thought something more upmarket like an Etek might be a bit wasted on me. Also because of the Etha only being £180 and I know the marker is in great condition is what got me thinking about buying the Etha. Cheers guys.

shaunyo

Aug 20, 2014
Tamworth
I am very tempted to buy it, I can't wait to test it out next time we play. I just hope i'll be able to sell my other markers to get some of my money back, i'll have my Proto Rail and my Tippmann A5 to sell