Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

WPBO rules are here!!

Robbo22

Jul 10, 2006
Preston, Lancashire
I've just read them. Is anyone else abit concerned about the rule during a preliminary round, if overtime ends in a stalemate with both teams having a player equal distance down the field then the match is decided by a coin flip???

How is that fair on both teams? A coin flip could potentially see a team not make a knockout stage / Sunday club?

Surely even one 1v1 would be more appropriate / fair / related to the sport?

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Yea the coin flip is pretty lame, thats really the only thing that's meh to me in the whole thing. The rest is basically the Mills rules.

Reactions: Richiemonk

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Just to clarify I read it right there is no coaching at all from either pits or spectator side?
I agree, no coaching:

8.1.2 - no megaphone etc (even rolled up card)
8.1.3 no communicating from the staging area / pit side
12.1.2 spectators cannot communicate (with a proviso that it's up to leagues how they deal with that

For those who say it's not coaching but audience participation - running up and down in front of the spectators making calls is coaching, making calls amongst the spectators is variable depending on the situation - specific calls is spectator coaching, random shouting is audience participation

Reactions: Matt - Team Chimera

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Yea the coin flip is pretty lame, thats really the only thing that's meh to me in the whole thing. The rest is basically the Mills rules.
The coin flip comes after having a draw, going into overtime and still having a draw

You've had your chances to win and neither team has won, you get another chance to win in overtime and neither team has won, you have the chance to be assessed on better play with the most eliminations / remaining players and neither team has performed 'better', then have the chance of being assessed on gaining ground and neither team has gained more ground

There are plenty chances there before it comes to a coin toss, and the incentive to go for winning rather than risking a draw that could ultimately end up in a 50/50 call

What else? Play game after game, (the other overtime methods are continued games, 1v1 etc - but how many times is a chance needed,racially as preliminarys could go on forever ), or hand it to the higher ranked team who failed to beat a lower ranked team?

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
I'd rather it go down to:
OT ends in a draw, most bodies alive wins, same amount of bodies? Furthest down the field wins. That's still a draw? 1v1 sudden death. Normal 1v1 rules apply. That'd add time, but it would be such an incredibly rare circumstance that I don't think it'd be a problem.

Plus if you let the German refs run things like they did in Puget, games were 3 hours ahead of schedule.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
I'd rather it go down to:
OT ends in a draw, most bodies alive wins, same amount of bodies? Furthest down the field wins. That's still a draw? 1v1 sudden death. Normal 1v1 rules apply. That'd add time, but it would be such an incredibly rare circumstance that I don't think it'd be a problem.

Plus if you let the German refs run things like they did in Puget, games were 3 hours ahead of schedule.
In order to keep things running, extra OT points and 1v1s add time to schedules, Ideally, I'd like to see an OT point, if that results in a stalemate, then either 3 or 5 1V1s, like a penalty shoot-out, but that would add even more time! When scheduling you have to allow for stalemates and null points, or schedules will run hideously behind (think original CPPS!).

I feel the coin toss rule is unfair (remember to always call tails ;)) and that in the event of a stalemate after an OT point it should be decided on previous ranking, either that events prelims, and/or on previous event standing, unless no advantage can be discerned, where a coin toss can employed.

The D2 Field, (nee D1) which does have a German ultimate,but a mixed nationality ref crew, will often run ahead as for Race to 2 a lot of buffering is built in tothe schedules for games that go to 3 points and even overtime (the scheduler for MS is also German)!

Or,as they would explain it:

Germans.jpg

Reactions: Spikerz

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
LOL We were playing OD3 in Puget, and it was mostly German. Literally over 2 hours ahead of schedule. They were like...yes yes must keep things moving and efficient! NO BREAKS FOR YOU!

In London we had a mix bag of French and British I think. They were crazy cool. "Hey guys it's stupid hot today, if you need an extra 2 minutes to get water and not die let us know and we'll pause the clock"