Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball Reports

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Whaddup? Inquiring minds need to know. Guess I have to go to bed not knowing if I won my bets or not.

According to www.paintball.com these are the pro teams:

Bad Company
Strange
Ground Zero
Ironmen
Intimidators (Bob Long’s Ironmen)
Aftershock
Dynasty
All Americans

According to a post on Smacktalk, Dynasty has already been knocked out and Strange has won a game against All A's.

Who knows the schedule and how it is going?

I'm betting on Intimidators 1st and Ground Zero 2nd. Dark horses and I could be way off.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Here's what I know at the moment.
First round--Miami Strange defeats Baltimore BC. Los Angeles Ironmen defeat New York GZ. Chicago Shock defeat San Fran Intimidators in sudden death OT. Philly AA's defeat San Diego Dynasty.
Second round was going to match Strange and Ironmen then Shock and AA's so if Strange beat AA's that was the final.

Bobvannes

Sandbagger
Oct 6, 2002
USA
Visit site
Bad picks Wadidiz, they both were knocked first round.

Pro News - Aftershock got bored and sick of all the rule changes so they went home. They just quit. All A's tied Dynasty, but the refs screwed up the score and gave the game to the A's. Later they watched a tape and saw it was a tie and made them play it off. A's said "no way" and threatened to go home until Richmond threatened them and told them they had to play. Then the A's beat Dynasty with 5 guys live.

Am News - Warped Kids got super blanked by the Naughty Dogs. 6-0 and the Mercy rule was called. Trauma got worked ugly by Farside. ND and Farside played tough trading games back and forth but Dogs pulled it out.

College News - I was right and there were no college teams playing on Sunday.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Bobvannes
Bad picks Wadidiz, they both were knocked first round.

Pro News - Aftershock got bored and sick of all the rule changes so they went home. They just quit. All A's tied Dynasty, but the refs screwed up the score and gave the game to the A's. Later they watched a tape and saw it was a tie and made them play it off. A's said "no way" and threatened to go home until Richmond threatened them and told them they had to play. Then the A's beat Dynasty with 5 guys live.

Am News - Warped Kids got super blanked by the Naughty Dogs. 6-0 and the Mercy rule was called. Trauma got worked ugly by Farside. ND and Farside played tough trading games back and forth but Dogs pulled it out.

College News - I was right and there were no college teams playing on Sunday.
I am curious was it the shizit like everyone said it would be, the future of the sport, tadah, tadah, tadah? Or was it a cluster-grope like it kinda sounds?

Bobvannes

Sandbagger
Oct 6, 2002
USA
Visit site
It was cool to play and fun to watch, but I can't imagine it taking over because of the time constraints. They had to change the length of games several times. That was one of the reasons 'Shock left.

I hate to say it, but X-Ball is USPL with a penalty box, better score board and a better field. And it is 5-man instead of 7.

There was a very tense moment when Avalanche showed up thinking they were going to get to play. It was ugly.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Bobvannes
It was cool to play and fun to watch, but I can't imagine it taking over because of the time constraints. They had to change the length of games several times. That was one of the reasons 'Shock left.

I hate to say it, but X-Ball is USPL with a penalty box, better score board and a better field. And it is 5-man instead of 7.

There was a very tense moment when Avalanche showed up thinking they were going to get to play. It was ugly.
It won't work as a replacement for 'tourney' pball as we're all used to it but played to a different model the time isn't a minus, it's a plus.
Things got rearranged Sunday 'cus there was the time change overnight Saturday, things started late anyway, (college team Drexel had a plane to catch) and depending on how many games get played in a period or match the time can vary pretty dramatically with the three minute breaks between games.
The field design they used Sunday didn't play as fast as the one at IAO either as it was largely a traditional sort of layout on a smaller scale.
And perhaps Shock bailed 'cus they weren't as dominating (nor was Dynasty) as one might have expected?
It's gonna be a good game but I too am somewhat torn between the 5 and 7 man format issue.

R

raehl

Whelp...

Every college player I talked to *LOVED* the format. And the penalty box is the only thing (other than game time/repeated games) which make X Ball anything like the USPL format. They're two entirely different animals.

But those who said it won't replace tournament paintball are right - the college teams averaged about 13 cases per match, and those were reduced-time (15 minute halves) matches. For your average paintball team, that's a pretty expensive way to play, although not too bad if you do a "Season" and spread it across a few months. The traditional format is good for lots of short games vs. lots of teams in a short period of time (day or two). X-Ball is a much better format for a league with a small (4-16) number of teams played over a long period of time (weeks or months, or a few days if you're doing elimination). Most TEAM sports are *NOT* played like traditional paintball, they're playing like X Ball - Two teams facing off multiple times over the course of a few hours for points.

I think current centerflag type tournaments will remain the staple of tournament competition, with X Ball leagues cropping up at the higher levels and in a few geographies where there are enough "Serious" players to support them.

As for the college game on Sunday, one of the teams (Drexel) had to make their flight so they and the other team in the finals (Purdue) decided to share the title.

Props out to Draxxus, Zap and Brimstone for sponsoring the college event, National Paintball Supply for the jersies, and Custom Sports Gear for getting the jersies made on very short notice.

And Bob, you really need to find an outlet for all that negative energy before you have yourself a coronary.

- Chris