Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball..........The Future ?

CROOKED-POPO

***ud father
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
If we get a chance to play it, we'll use our wives as pit crews at our cheap level. Cost of paint could be an issue, but we've been working on that anyway.:)

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Take this as what it is, a rec player who's played the style before.

The format is expensive, yes. It WILL need tweaking, but only a few things to make it 'affordable' for the common 'baller.

Now if this takes off, and I'm talking major sponsorship from ouside the industry, players won't be paying for the balls anyhow, so it's a moot point.

Is it the future? Well, hard to say, becasue 2/3 of you guys are not ready to play this format. You'll burn out in the first period.

trust me. I've played it.

-Tyger

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
changes involved are bigger than the format

Originally posted by Baca Loco
And, God help me, I agree, in general, with Tyger.
Nov and Ams ain't gonna be playing X-ball--they're gonna be playing tourneys like they play now except, perhaps, in special events.
See? You shook my hand. It rubs off. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And I shook Robbo's hand too! He'll be saying things like "pump guns really aren't so bad" soon!!!!! It's all a part of my MASTER PLAN!!!!

Ok, back to topic.

X-ball needs some serious tweaking before it could be a usable format. Just pulling a number outta my tail, I can easily guess they threw a skid of paint. Easily. There's other stuff too, but I'm not going there. Nobody listens to the rec-baller, eh?

-Tyger (Who DOES know what the format is like to play, thank you large...)

Calli

Apr 5, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I do think X-ball has a future together with regular tourney paintball.

The cost of x-ball as it is now seems to me totally out of hands for teams that doesn't get the paint for free..
Example, sweden vs france.. 21 games, rough estimate 400 balls/game and player considering some games were really fast.
that's about 21 cases of paint.. for one match!

Suitable for Nations cup as to determine wich team truely is the better one, X-Ball, "luck has nothing to do with it" ;)

From paintball.com:
“This is just a show,” commented Wilfrid Lupano, a member of the French team

Thats how I would like to think about it as well.. how long did it take for the hyperball format to become what it is?
Give it a few more years and I believe things will start to change and get better. Just like evolution, the fittest survive.

It will be interesting to see tough how this will affect paintball in the future and how X-ball will evolve and how it will affect what we consider as regular paintball.

Thoose who live will see

-Karl

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
The major problem for the X-Ball format is the length of time it takes to get one match over and done with and could never be used in a traditional tournament for all of the teams but it is possible to introduce the format for the finals.
I spoke a lot to Jerry Braun and Richmond while I was over there and it seems that Jerry will be holding an X-Ball tournament at this year's World Cup.
I think the initial idea was to have the final four teams play off in the X-Ball format but after a few problems erupted, it was suggested that the World Cup would finish on the Saturday (in traditional format with a winner being declared) and then the top 8 pros would then play again in the X-Ball format.
The reason for this is, in attendance would be some people from the TV networks, so it was felt the new format would be more attractive for them to see.
Also I spoke to Laurent and he too is considering using this format for the finals in Toulouse, he told me he has the time available but just needs to work on a few things to finalise it.
Now I don't know for sure if either of these two plans will actually take place but what is important, is the fact that these two promoters (Jerry and Laurent) are even considering changing.
They both, like everybody else who witnessed it, realise that X-Ball is going to be the future of this game and the quicker it is put into place, the better.
The TV companies are hovering like vultures over paintball at the moment in the US and X-Ball will undoubtedly increase the chances of the vultures swooping in.
And the more these TV guys want the X-Ball package, the more leverage the promoters have in trying to negotiate the best deals.
The better the product, the more they will pay and believe me, X-Ball is one hell of a product for both player and more importantly for the spectator.
In one fell swoop, Richmond nailed the format and got it 95% right, which is remarkable considering the revolutionary nature of this new game.
Robbo

TOPOR

RaceGun Powaaaa!
Apr 11, 2002
Nice
Sometimes, I feel like a miss the good old times... playin' in the woods!

I had the secret hope to play one day along Keith from Belsales, now I really start to doubt it will ever happen when I read what X-ball looks like...

Let's keep the good old 7 men format. Let's change Flags into big red push button or (hand boat horn, I don't know the name in english sorry), and incentive for quick games regarding the clock.

More points if you win fast. That would avoid games to last the all 10 minutes, become boring to watch for spectators, players would also avoid to shoot 12 pots of paintballs....

Otherwise X ball will become a demo format only affordable by Pro teams representing PAINTBALLS trademark. They will play the game like this acrobatic Basket ball team: the Harlem Globe Trotters!

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Mr TOPOR

I dont think you have much to worry about for a while to come. If x-ball is implemented in to millennium or nppl formats, the way things are looking timewise, would mean that only the semis or finals would use the format...but who knows where it will take us?
Whatever happens I believe the x-ball concept can only bring good to our sport, its a great promoter thats for sure.