The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
ya-booooh

Cow, In my haste to respond you are quite correct, I should have said "having an X does not necessarily mean you have an X ball layout".

Also correctly pointed out we have enjoyed NXL layouts. The Forest I refer to are the 5ft 7" Vertical Tubes, possibly 18-24 inches in diameter. Perfect for the vertically challenged. and for reducing some of the cross field shots. Maybe we are spoilt, but those tubes make a huge difference between fields we set up to practice on, and those we actually compete on.

I just don't think by throwing on a X onto a field it becomes X-ball like. Maybe it does by virtue of an X, but when tournament promoters insist on field designs that do not promote movement (nice big safe cans for all the back players), we got serious imagination problems here. Throw in the UK's ability problems, and were looking at the longest points ever played.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
ya-booooh

Originally posted by stongle
1--Also correctly pointed out we have enjoyed NXL layouts. The Forest I refer to are the 5ft 7" Vertical Tubes, possibly 18-24 inches in diameter. Perfect for the vertically challenged. and for reducing some of the cross field shots.

2--Maybe we are spoilt, but those tubes make a huge difference between fields we set up to practice on, and those we actually compete on.

3--I just don't think by throwing on a X onto a field it becomes X-ball like. Maybe it does by virtue of an X, but when tournament promoters insist on field designs that do not promote movement (nice big safe cans for all the back players), we got serious imagination problems here.
1--the current standard then.
2--they certainly do which is part of the reason I've harped incessantly on the necessity of appropriate layouts to encourage real Xball play. Not that anyone listens of course.
Have hopes Chitown was--finally--an improvement. Divisional X design looked good as long as fields were actually to scale (which would be a first this year.)
3--incessant harping, part deux. :) It is difficult for players, even those wanting to play Xball, to come to terms with what the style actually demands--the tendency is play 5-man and bustle occasionally and imagine you're doing it right--and with unimaginative or downright counterproductive field layouts it makes it that much harder to overcome the primarily mental barrier to X most players will have to overcome.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by Mak D - Nexus Eclipse
Ahh but my friend you read not well, as master Ledz stated there is only one full Xball field in the UK :)

Mak dad
:cool:
:confused: yes i read that as well. I was talking about the ratio of teams to fields, rather than the number of fields available and thus how many could attend an event.

Stongle. Point taken, roughly how long are the plays on average?

gaff

www.hired-killaz.com
Mar 12, 2003
'in ya face baby!'
Originally posted by Steve Hancock

roughly how long are the plays on average?
over the numerous games i have played in XBall with tournament and training i would say the average game time is probably 1min30secs, with the odd one being 3mins and the other end of the spectrum 15secs (see our game against Dallasty in Amsterdam! ;)) and you still manage to shoot 2 pots of paint per game each!!