Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Why cant someone arrange an annual national UK championship (over 3 days) to decide who should have the title of best UK team.
Like the PA cup? The debate has been about whether or not the winner would have any worthwhile title or not if the top uk contenders were not competing. And before you suggest that the top teams just turn up and play, they have other commitments and priorities which would prevent them, and also as you may have read don't think it is worth it.

Anyway I'll read through and answer the other posts tomorrow. I'm being kicked off the computer by the wife.:p

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
as far as I remember I asked if the Tigers could attend one of the events, just to give a bit of support to the uk scene, but was told it was an all or nothing. :(

Has this now changed?

Oct 4, 2001
all over
Visit site
steve, other than playing it (i suspect) are you anything to do with the PA cup?? Also do you play for a team which is at the top of div A in the pa cup and could win it????

if not then why the hell do you care, your not gonna be "national champ" anyway so just accept the fact that the PA is nothing more than any other uk tournament series.

You dont see the MM, 2k4 or D7 saying win our series and be the best in the country, and some have been going for years. They just run their events, The PA on the other hand turns up and in its first real year thinks it has some god given right to say it is the national league.

bull sh*t!!!!:mad:

D

duffistuta

Originally posted by Chris - Nexus Eclipse
steve, other than playing it (i suspect) are you anything to do with the PA cup?? Also do you play for a team which is at the top of div A in the pa cup and could win it????

if not then why the hell do you care, your not gonna be "national champ" anyway so just accept the fact that the PA is nothing more than any other uk tournament series.

You dont see the MM, 2k4 or D7 saying win our series and be the best in the country, and some have been going for years. They just run their events, The PA on the other hand turns up and in its first real year thinks it has some god given right to say it is the national league.

In keeping with today's football theme...

"Are you Robbo, are you Robbo, are you Robbo in disguise? Are you Rob-bo in disguise..."

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
steve, other than playing it (i suspect) are you anything to do with the PA cup?? Also do you play for a team which is at the top of div A in the pa cup and could win it????....
Nope, I play for my Uni's team, its our first season and we are playing KotH.

...if not then why the hell do you care, your not gonna be "national champ" anyway so just accept the fact that the PA is nothing more than any other uk tournament series.
Cos its not all about my ego. What, you think i am trying to compete with Robbo over who's team is better. I'm after bragging right or something. Sure, right after i get off the phone with Sven about filling in for Rooney tonight. :rolleyes:

You dont see the MM, 2k4 or D7 saying win our series and be the best in the country...
While there is some discussion about whether the title national champion = best team or not, the impression i have got is the PA feel that that there is a distinction, that their title holder will not be the best team in the country. If you read back in the thread you will find the quote.

...and some have been going for years. They just run their events, The PA on the other hand turns up and in its first real year thinks it has some god given right to say it is the national league.

Regarding the "right" to hold a national league/cup. If no one else (as you pointed out) is contesting them, then why can't they. Sure their are other things that could discredit their claim, such as bias refs, dodgy saftey and security, poor quality venues, not promoting the sport, and not having all the best teams competeting. But currently they only suffer from one of those problems, the last.

I've always taken the term "champion" to mean "winner", rather than "best". (EDIT: and so does the dictionary.) This would fit with their claims as they would be the winner. While it might not be worth as much if they haven't beaten the best teams to achieve the victory that doesn't stop the title being accurate.

I still feel that the title national champion is valid, but agree that not having the best few teams competeting does de-value it slightly. Again i feel it comes down to a subjective valuation of it. Is it worth anything. I would say it contributes to the promotion of UK paintball, and will help the sport be taken seriously if we have a national league and cup. So it is worth having even if it doesn't have 100% credability yet. But it is still not worthwhile to the top teams which is a weakness, but this is only the first year.

The PA is already known in Euroland as a good league, if it keeps growing maybe the titles atractness to the top teams will grow with its wider recognition.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Originally posted by Steve Hancock
Regarding the "right" to hold a national league/cup. If no one else (as you pointed out) is contesting them, then why can't they. Sure their are other things that could discredit their claim, such as bias refs, dodgy saftey and security, poor quality venues, not promoting the sport, and not having all the best teams competeting. But currently they only suffer from one of those problems, the last.
Oh, that was the D7s you were talking about ;)

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I don't know much about the D7's so it would be unfair to critise them, but:

- who marshels for them? Is it teams that play the series?

- Have there been any thefts from the players area at the D7?

- Whats the netting like?

- Have they got major out of industry sponsorship?

- And do they really attract as much publicity?

Genuine questions, although i have guesses for the last 2.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by PEACHIE
If that were entirely true why are nexus and shockwave playing next D7(meaningless tournament). If they can field teams here then why couldn't they field a team for a national championship? I can see that winning a national championship would offer very little to big sponsors but wouldn't the players of the factory sponsored teams like to say that they are at least the best in the UK and be able to prove it.
We are playing the D7 as a knock around, a little light relief, free from pressure where we can have some fun. thats all.

resources wont stretch to playing NPPL, Millennium events, EXl and then UK events.

I am fairly confident that neither us, nexus or tigers care about being the top team in the Uk. the training we are all doing is geared at being the best team in the world. why would anyone want to aim for anything lower?

So peachie, in answer to your last question, no.