Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Younglings, watch and learn.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
95% of the tourney teams would be using a Cocker (Budd Orr) or an Automag (Air Gun Design) - you can hear on that vid how fast (slow) they were when compared to modern day markers.

I played in that tournament with a put together Brit squad and joined the All Americans right after that event.
I still remember when the first 'Mags started coming onto the fields. They may seem slow now, but back then the reaction was "bloody hell, somebody's going full auto!"

Ahh, the good ol' days...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
i remember playing that as well pete,damn that was a long time ago!!! makes me feel really old,

long live Shades Of Grey:D
Jim, I know it seems like we are 'harking back to the good ole times' and all that but we had real fun then I think, it was competitive in those times that's for sure but somehow different then...I can't really put my finger on why it seems different other than to suggest, our sport seems to have become a lot more cynical.
Yeah, we had cheating then, and we even had designer gun cheats that ramped velocity but even after acknowledging those downsides, paintball at that time was genuine fun to play.....

There's no real way to assess the relative merits of both eras because nostalgia may well be playing a part but.....the modern game, as exemplified by our pro base literally disgusts me.

Philip

Whip it out..
Mar 24, 2002
Ellesmere Port
Jim, I know it seems like we are 'harking back to the good ole times' and all that but we had real fun then I think, it was competitive in those times that's for sure but somehow different then...I can't really put my finger on why it seems different other than to suggest, our sport seems to have become a lot more cynical.
Yeah, we had cheating then, and we even had designer gun cheats that ramped velocity but even after acknowledging those downsides, paintball at that time was genuine fun to play.....

There's no real way to assess the relative merits of both eras because nostalgia may well be playing a part but.....the modern game, as exemplified by our pro base literally disgusts me.

Maybe then you were playing for the sport, not the victory or recognition?

Seems like now everyone goes onto the field, looking good, caring more about the way they look, they're going out to impress, and sometimes not by the way they play.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I still remember when the first 'Mags started coming onto the fields. They may seem slow now, but back then the reaction was "bloody hell, somebody's going full auto!"

Ahh, the good ol' days...
Jay, I first saw the Mag when it was launched in Nashville in 1990 at Jim Liveley's tournament we (NWC) went to.
Tom Kaye was touting it about and when I saw it, I thought holy sh!te, that's gonna change our sport if he gets it to work properly.
Swarm won that event and guess what they used?
Yeah, the Mag..and I have said many times before and I think John Sosta would agree, the Automag was by far, the greatest marker ever designed and I suggest this because, it hardly ever went wrong and had the fewest number of moving parts that you could possibly have when designing a semi-automatic marker.
Its design was classically simple and elegant... a true masterpiece of design engineering.
I used that marker for over 7 years and I can honestly say, that in all those events I played, it went wrong on the field of play less than a handful of times.