Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Your sport needs YOU!

LATHAM

FIGHTIN' MACHINE™
Ok, so there has been a lot of talk recently about the state of UK paintball. The one thing no one seems sure on though is how to improve the uptake of paintball as a sport or hobby. I'm really talking about Tournament paintball here as walk-on/rec/scenario is kind of a continuation of the general customer day (as in they buy their own gear then start to play at the sites walk on days where they first found paintball).

How about everyone has a little think and sticks up some ideas of what we could all do, or even what the industry could do, to try and attract new people into the tournament circuit here in the UK.

I like the idea that Al Woods has picked up on, of doing something with the Universities. I mean there are over a hundred in the UK, and I know students are notoriously poor, but it a huge market of young people. Some sort of University league like they do in the states could be a way of at least introducing some new blood?

So come on, throw some ideas out there. I don't care how crazy they sound. People may disagree, but as far as I'm concerned any ideas are better than none.

What can be done to raise the profile of UK paintball?.........

Grunge

Feb 23, 2010
Tiptree, Essex
I like the idea but like you say people only find out about torneys ect once you start doing walk ons. I think you need to hit some secondary schools and try to drive it like local football. I dunno if this would work but Maybe hire a football pitch for the day at a sports centre on a weekend you no is busy. Have like 15 dedicated ballers for constant games all day for publisity and spare guns for people who might pop and have a look so they can jump in. I think the main reason people don't get into it is because of cost. Like me for instance. I'm just getting back into it. Had a bit off, jacked my job in so no money. Bad move but hey nvm. All sorted now. The point I'm tryin to make ois no one wants to spend a few hundred pounds to try out something they might not like. Also I think that the days where you go and rent the gear for the day are a big shock for some people. Some spend £150+ just on one of them days and I think that they think its going to cost that everytime you go.
Well that my two cents. I hope this makes sence I wrote it on my phone so can't see much. Also sorry for the spellings. Were all a bit dribbly in some ways ;)

Dale

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
1. Want to help UK paintball? Join the UKPSF. We need as many members as possible, in order to have paintball recognized as a sport in the UK.

2. Once we are recognized as a sport, Government money becomes available to us.

3. As for Universities, I believe a certain amount of funding is available to paintball societies. For example, the members of the Lancaster Uni paintball society had their guns paid for.

Reactions: Stephen

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
On more general note, support UK dealers. Don't import markers, and don't moan because a box of paint is £5 more than it was 3 years ago. Times are hard, margins are low.

That said, Planet have just reduced the RRP of the Etha to £270.92. Nice.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
something that may help is the soon to be available GOG EnMEY pneumatic marker that works like a spool valve marker in the £100 pound range,so for about £200 you could buy mask,bottle ,hopper and marker.
set up a div for players too just use these and at most you are only going too use a box of paint,at an event,or another way too do it would be to say have for example the CPPS or MASTERS buy so many of said markers and for a small fee let people try it out ,now too make that work we would all have too bring a friend,send invites too unis,schools etc etc

Reactions: Random Invert

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
There is a Student Cup run at CPPS - coming up on its 2-year anniversary! All of the Student population are also fairly vocal - the Student paintballers page on facebook has a large membership as well as some pretty damn interesting discussions. Also, individual society pages are generally well run - older members tell the freshers their experience and basically tell them what to avoid (e.g mini's - we've had more than a few problems with them) and what is a good investment (e.g. an Etek). We've also got a pretty good support system of teching and we have a friendly rivalry with the other Uni's. Yes, it's occasionally hard to find members. It's difficult for people to put £60 aside a month on a student budget - and we have to compete heavily with drinking. A night out for some students costs more than a couple boxes of paint.

Our SU has been fairly OK with us setting up a society, but as far as funding goes, what we get is matched by the Union. For example, this year, Membership was £8 (£3 for insurance, £5 towards a jersey). We've pretty much doubled our member base. Also, we're currently drawing up plans to practice on campus and ways of getting the society funded properly - especially since it is not technically defined as a Sport by the B-something I've forgotten.

As far as publicity is concerned, I'm working my ass off so as to come to as many UK events as I can and take pictures and film (hopefully) HK quality videos. I should also hopefully be filming an ETV-esque documentary on a couple of teams. My idea is that if we can get enough people who want to see what UK paintball has to offer, we can draw more people into the passion and therefore raise the profile of UK paintball as a whole.

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
Good call, Al - I, for one, would like to see KFC involved. Everyone loves chicken.