Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Your views welcomed on DMA incident

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
I'm making a note to be sure that every head referee has a printed copy of the rules available at the field. They usually do; I just want to make sure.

I know it's not easy, and I'm not shifting the blame one iota, but captains should also know the rules and consult them if the need arises BEFORE they sign the scoresheet.

I don't think a head referee would or should refuse a request from a captain to look at a rule that is being enforced.

All referees, and especially the head ref, should know the rules. It ain't easy when there are so many different rules out there, but it is still our responsibility.

Speaking of rules we are working on making the Millennium 7-player rules much more readable and clear. We hope that we can convince NPPL to merge these rules with theirs. Any volunteers to proof-read the rules and give feedback? Would it be thinkable to discuss certain sections of the rules on some thread here?

Steve

Pump'n'Splat

Ambassador of BOING!
Originally posted by Buddha 3
Don't agree with that. How come pretty much every NFL referee knows every single rule? and believe me, the NFL has a rulebook that is a LOT thicker than any paintball rulebook.
Is it too much to ask that at the very least the head judge for every field knows the rules by heart?
And Football "Soccer" referees go through some of the most professional and stringent training schools/regimes out there. Yet look at the amount of very poor calls made by Refs and Linesmen in that game. Fact is, people make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are made by people that have power of your game.

Ronnie's right, it's a harsh call, but it's made by someone under pressure who made a slight error of memory recall in interpreting a rule. You'd soon complain more if there were no officials there to interpret the rules in the first place. So, as in many other professional sports...people make errors and we just have to mumble and complain a bit, then let it slide....no point in getting too worked up over it, especially when you know, inside, that you won the game...right?

P

Paintball Paladin

I'd like to bring your attention to the game of rugby.

It is usually reffed by ex players who know the game inside out. However they do make mistakes. What happens when a ref makes a mistake in rugby?........the players accept it and work under the assumption that the referee is always right, even when he is wrong.

They dont even whinge about it, its simply not the sporting thing to do. In the world cup final decision after decision was given to Australia (the home team) and not one England player moaned to the referee. At all times they treated him with respect, often calling him "sir". If we'd have lost the game the supporters would have whinged, after all everyone is entitled to a little moan but the players would have got over it and concentrated on the next game

If we all take on this attitude a huge amount of pressure is taken off of the shoulders of ref's, judges, linesman, marshalls etc etc and ideally they will make less mistakes.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by Pump'n'Splat
And Football "Soccer" referees go through some of the most professional and stringent training schools/regimes out there. Yet look at the amount of very poor calls made by Refs and Linesmen in that game. Fact is, people make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are made by people that have power of your game.

Ronnie's right, it's a harsh call, but it's made by someone under pressure who made a slight error of memory recall in interpreting a rule. You'd soon complain more if there were no officials there to interpret the rules in the first place. So, as in many other professional sports...people make errors and we just have to mumble and complain a bit, then let it slide....no point in getting too worked up over it, especially when you know, inside, that you won the game...right?
In my opinion, soccer is the one sport we should NEVER use as an example when it comes to reffing. In these modern times, with the amounts of cash at stake, it is a completely obsolete school of thought that says soccer can make do with only one referee... It is bizarre, and crazy. The linesman should be given whistles as well, and they should be give the same rights as a ref. At the very least.

But that's getting a wee off topic.

Sherman

Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
The incident discussed here wasn't an in-game call, where even the players understand that bad calls unfortunately happen sometimes and live with it. If the chrono reads 309, how much does that leave to interpretation? :eek:

P

Paintball Paladin

My point exactly !

most rules are open to interpretation, this is why we have ref's.

there interpretation is always right ! even though it may be wrong. Accept the decision and get on with it

and no I'm not a ref.(Ihave marshalled a few times though). I've played rugby loads and notice the difference in attitudes in various sports

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
Umm there is more to this..

We lost no less than 4 won games on ****ty paint and chrono inconsistencies (entrance chrono vs lil yellow crapsticks) in Paris.

Why oh why there has to be aft game chronoing anyways?

The guy at the entrance shoots usually 30 balls over the chrony looking for bounce and hot gun. If thats not enough to determine if a gun legal or not then nothing is...
There is no worse feeling in this game when you chrony in before the match at 280, you win the game with 4 players left and every single one is getting pulled because the yellow ones measure differently. At least allow that if there are problems at the aft game chronoing then use the red ones at the entrance to determine WTF is up.

There is NO room for error nada nothing NIL!! The proper process should be one clearing shot and then the average of 3 shots. Why you ask? Welp the paint is not really consistant nowadays even with the big brands. We shot Scherer in Paris and the balls from the same box were all over the place in sizes. Of course its needless to say that varying sizes equal varying speeds. Then poof there goes your game...

Something needs to be done as it happened in 'Dam too and it frustrates the players to the n-th degree...

Cheerio

Pump'n'Splat

Ambassador of BOING!
Sherman, it really depends, how long did the marshal have to make the decision? Did he have to make the call before turning around into another game? Jim, what was the score on that?...Do you reckon the marshal had enough time to consult about the ruling...'cos if he did, it does seem overly harsh, yes...

Bearing in mind the 300fps for most fields, it's entirely understandable that sometimes a marshal could get confused and call 309 in the wrong manner. But if he had time to think about the call, or speak to another marshal about it, well i'm in agreement with you if that's the case....

As for the chrono's having different readings, I think we had this discussion at the site recently, and it does suck, the same chrono should be used before and after the game...and correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the "Little yellow crapsticks" the more accurate of the two kinds of chrono?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
F*ck the clearing shot... That should be removed from the rules. It's bovine poopoo, and a safety hazard too. Because if there is any form of delay between the chronoing and the start of the game, that "crept up" shot will be winging it's way towards some poor *******'s goggles....

Make sure you chrono in such a way that even if you do suffer from creep, you don't go hot. During play, use whatever reading is displayed by the equipment used (the handheld chronoes), but if there will be any postgame chronoing done, I also feel it needs to be done on the same one that was used for pregame chronoing.