Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

3-man play?

The Billionare

Aug 15, 2001
denver
Visit site
My wife and I found a little 3-man tourny that is perfect for getting the feet wet. I was only wondering if anyone had any experience in this matter as I hear 3-man is very crazy and the games can get very chaotic. I'm hoping for suggestions on how to go about playing in this thing without getting our behinds handed to us although that wouldn't be too, pathetic seeing how we've never competed before. It's a learning experience for us I hope as we still strugle to build a five man team dedicated enough for bigger more better tournies with larger purses and more better team play. "a chance at the big time" but that's in the future "hopefully", right now I just want to make it through this thing with some idea of what I am getting into. The only thing we've done to prepare is set up a three on three scrimage with some friends not really interested in ever play competition paintball. They will be very little challenge to us, I know and this does not seem very prosperous a practice, but never the less a chance to play chaotic rec players who will prove to be unpredictable at the very least. Thanx for any suggestions you may give me, I appreciate and beg for them openly, please!

Shuck

Snoring Machine.......zzz
Jul 13, 2001
SoTees
Visit site
Wether it being concept or woodland, sweetspotting off the break is vital. Eliminating a player off the break can blow open a whole tape and mean that you can get round. Also 2 on 1's can occur meaning easy eliminations. loading up a tape with 2 players is another tactic. Basically, u need to keep tight and communicate. Doing this should see you play true to form. I hope I have helped and good luck.

The Billionare

Aug 15, 2001
denver
Visit site
Yes that makes sense. Thank you very much. I've been watching the ultimate madness on pigtv day in and day out looking for an answer and the break seems to be the most important part of three man play. The dye girls vs. iron maidens is almost all break-out and ends very quickly. The break seems to be the key, rather than sprint towards a bunker they all just spray. It looks fun, I hope we can compete well and thatnk you very much for the advise, I am greatful!

nick

darm

Coach- Taunton Snatch Uk
Jul 6, 2001
Devon (UK)
www.facebook.com
playing 3 man

We just played a 3man torurny and came second which i guess isn't bad and I've won one as well a few years ago.
Regarding the sweet spotting thing very good idea but in the woods its much more difficult to sweet spot from the break, if you can do it great, but if you cant dont worry to much.
I would say that equally important as much as sweet spotting is to keep your mind focused on the fact that the game isn't over until the everyone is shot out, so if you are left on your own or any of your team members left on their own (even again'st all 3 opposition) stress to them that it is quite attainable to still beat the opposition they just got to keep there cool and perhaps let the other team come and get them so they can pick them off while they attack.
Especially with 3man its quite easy to lose track of players amongst all the commotion so let the last player keep quiet for a while perhaps and just maybe the opposition wont know where he is and as soon as they move he can pick them off and level the score.
If its one on one well they will have to decide wherther to attack or sit tight.
Just make sure you tell them to stay cool at the biginning of the tourny and you should have a great time.
hope this is of some use to you.
regards darm

George

Jul 17, 2001
Ohio, USA
Visit site
I also think that the sweet-spotting is vital. To do this correctly, you must anticipate which bunker the opponent is going to run to, and put a stream of paint just before the bunker so that the other player runs through it. On a wooded field, this can be difficult but not impossible. Look for shooting lanes into the bunker that you think they'll go to. See if you can put a player in a position to shoot into that lane and not take a hit in the process. Reading the field is vital, as it is for every tournament. You must asses the field and find out whether you can push hard off of the break, take the chance of going for midfield off the break (think about the other team sweet-spotting) or set up defensively. Do not just pick a bunker to go to, and wait to see what happens. Be the team that initiates the play and you will have the opposition reacting to your movement instead of carrying out their own plans. If you pick a player off in the break-out, exploit that as fast as possible. I was playing some 3-man this past sunday. On one break-out, I was playing the right tape. The guy in front of me was shot off of the break. I was already at about the 40-yard line and immediately went to the snake in the center. The game was over in under a minute. I was able to crawl the snake and side-shoot the remaining two players. In another game, I was again the right tape, but on a different field. I was able to shoot my opposite guy, their middle guy shot me, and my left-tape guy shot out theit middle, all off of the break. Did we win the game? You bet. With good communication, even a team with some average skills can hold off better players who don't talk to each other. Come up with some basic codes for the zones on the field, when you are moving, when you need to bunker somebody, and for when your gun is down. These are very important things for your team-mates to know. Also, when walking the fields, attach a name to certain bunkers that you feel will be dangerous if the other team occupies them. This way, when the opposition get to that bunker, you can easily tell every person on your team that the bunker is occupied and the player must be eliminated. Also, since 3-man in virtually center flag, and flag points are worth more than elimination points, have a code to determine which team has the flag. If you can't max a game, at least get first grab in a desperate situation. These few points may be enough to get you into the next round, even if you don't survive the game. Good Luck.

The Billionare

Aug 15, 2001
denver
Visit site
I didn't know that about the flag pull, thanx. I was wondering about that actually. We will be playing on a condenced hyperball field on the 16th of september. We practiced yesterday, but that didn't go to well. The field we went to was not a real field and ended up being a thick wooded area, so practice turned into hide and seek. We really didn't have time to build anything, but that's what I get for listening to my nephew. He thoroughly dissapointed me and my team. But we got in some good three on four paintball. It was difficult to make do with what we had, but we managed. We plan to hit the hyperball field twice more before the tourny, and we will be working on that communication and sweet spotting, thanx alot, I really am greatfull for so many great tips.

nick

Manning26

Hey Billionaire, if you're playin' a hyperball, it'll serve you well to have your tape men cover their cross shots. That way no one can bunker one tape out or the opposite tape will hammer him. Your center player can sweet spot off the break, and your tapes should probably not concern themselves with anything but making their bunkers. All of this depends on feild layout, of course, but I'm tellin' ya' Bud, watch the crosses, and take as much of the field as you can. The more of the field you own, the tighter they must play, and remember, rarely is it the fella' directly in front of you that shoots you out. Good luck, Man. :)

The Billionare

Aug 15, 2001
denver
Visit site
Dude I noticed that about the guy in front of you. A few weeks ago I was playing the field that we will be playing on, only it was set up for ten man, they had like 14 on 14 or something, but I got six elims in one game shooting the opposite tape, but at one point it was down to four of us and three of them, but we had two little kids that hid in a bunker and managed to not get tagged. They wouldn't push their side where I shot out like four guys and left it wide open, I ended up getting bunkered from my own 12 o'clock, but the whole game they just pounded my bunker to no prevail, it really turned a light on in the attic, I'll tell ya. Thanx for the good advise, it comferms my newly found belief about that guy to my 12. I don't ignore him, but I don't worry too much about him anymore these days.

Also, can you get penalty points of any kind for bunkering? Will this disqualify the team from the sportsmanship award? When I got bunkered the ref warned the guy about cans of whoop-ass and such. I was wondering if this might apply to tournies as well. I've never been warned or gotten after about bunkering people, this was the first time anyone made it sound like a bad thing.

Manning26

The ref may have gotten onto the fella' 'cause it was just an open day instead of a tourney. Sometimes guys can get carried away, not caring if they're bunkering out some poor ten year old who's playin' for the first time or not. He probably just wanted everyone to stay happy.
As far as tournaments go, you can bunker the hell outta everyone, as long as you don't overshoot. At the captains meeting have your captain ask what the overshooting limit is. At the locals here it's usually five breaks on a player. Hopefully you'll have enough self control not to rip a guy too bad as you burn past. I haven't seen anyone called for it since the year NAAPSA allowed full auto. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck, Bud!:)