Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

airsoft pisses on paintball

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Re: Re: Perception is reality

I agree, this is of no interest to anyone.... although it should be. So I'm off as well (I want to be part of the in-crowd:rolleyes: ).

Personally, I feel the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I still haven't come across a sound economic argument... I've heard ideals and it must-be-so's but nout concrete. If you push the elite side of paintball, you will attract elites and by definition they are few in number. If you push woods and accessibility you attract numbers... and from there you may draw your elite. In the meantime, the bills are paid, the new paint machine is bought, the barrel developed.... it's business. Where's the economic argument against this? Cos no matter what I hear, the big companies are advertisning alongside airsoft in apg, and Jerry Braun hasn't taken his site(s) to supair, nor has Niall Squires, nor Setters, nor any other site owner in the world.

Dead quick..

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Obviously I can speak with the most authority about Florida so that's my frame of reference. So, in order, Florida, A -with their playing dollars,

B)because they want to play the game they read about in the magazines and other players talk about,

C) right and wrong have nothing to do with it,

D)the active, established player base and the young players coming into the game with NO PRECONCEPTIONS.

Baca, perhaps we'll never agree...I guess sometimes your disinterest in proving an argument maybe real, but the answers here are hot air and rhetoric (and I'm an expert on both! :eek:)

a) how? What are they doing boycotting the sites that have paint grenades. Holding the site owner's children in caravans until he decimates his earnings? Take me to their leader!

b) the best-selling magazine in Florida (and it's 8% up yoy) is the rec bible APG. Facefull isn't on the newsstand, PSI lost the plot years ago and pgi is making in-roads. The players are talking - but they are talking to a handful of people, and would be doing that regardless of what was going on in the woods. And indeed they should if we want tourny ball to grow.

c) Of course they have. And this is how it will all be judged: do we attract the public with supair, or do we attract the public with paintball and then look to develop a percent into supair. You can measure that.

d) just a superficiality and naivety unsurprising of someone of their age.

Tyger, glad to see your back firing from the hip me old bum chum. One thing to remember, the geezer thought this of paintball anyway. They always will.

It's a shame that no one else felt they could add their quid's worth.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Oh bloody hell

Originally posted by rancid
I agree, this is of no interest to anyone.... although it should be. So I'm off as well (I want to be part of the in-crowd:rolleyes: ).

Personally, I feel the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

1--I still haven't come across a sound economic argument... I've heard ideals and it must-be-so's but nout concrete. If you push the--
2-- . . . elite side of paintball, you will attract elites and by definition they are few in number.
3-- . . . If you push woods and accessibility you attract numbers... and from there you may draw your elite. In the meantime, the bills are paid, the new paint machine is bought, the barrel developed.... it's business. Where's the economic argument against this? Cos no matter what I hear, the big companies are advertisning alongside airsoft in apg, and Jerry Braun hasn't taken his site(s) to supair, nor has Niall Squires, nor Setters,
4-- . . . nor any other site owner in the world.

Dead quick..

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Obviously I can speak with the most authority about Florida so that's my frame of reference. So, in order, Florida, A -with their playing dollars,

B)because they want to play the game they read about in the magazines and other players talk about,

C) right and wrong have nothing to do with it,

D)the active, established player base and the young players coming into the game with NO PRECONCEPTIONS.

Baca, perhaps we'll never agree...I guess sometimes your disinterest in proving an argument maybe real, but the answers here are hot air and rhetoric (and I'm an expert on both! :eek:)

a) how? What are they doing boycotting the sites that have paint grenades. Holding the site owner's children in caravans until he decimates his earnings? Take me to their leader!

b) the best-selling magazine in Florida (and it's 8% up yoy) is the rec bible APG. Facefull isn't on the newsstand, PSI lost the plot years ago and pgi is making in-roads. The players are talking - but they are talking to a handful of people, and would be doing that regardless of what was going on in the woods. And indeed they should if we want tourny ball to grow.

c) Of course they have. And this is how it will all be judged: do we attract the public with supair, or do we attract the public with paintball and then look to develop a percent into supair. You can measure that.

d) just a superficiality and naivety unsurprising of someone of their age.

Since you've actually gone to some trouble here I'll do the same and try and explain/expand on my p.o.v. (Tho was having more fun with Hotpoint)
Some of the trouble seems to arise (as it did with Hotpoint) in that we're trying to short-hand our answers--at least I've been to avoid writing dissertations.
1--can't speak to that one as I have no problem with you running whatever ads you like, as I've already said.
2--here's where we start to disagree. I am simply of the opinion that whereas tourney play and tourney-style play once reflected an elite fraction of the paintballin' world I am absolutely convinced that that is changing. The progressive forces in paintball are driving it and in Florida it is making a difference.
3--here we disagree. Florida fields are doing better and attracting more players with tourney type layouts and games and the larger percentage of new players coming in are playing tourney-style rec ball and liking it. It seems to me you are simply equating the way things have been with the way things must remain--hence woods draws the player base and tourney players evolve according to their interest. And I'm saying the new generations of young players coming into the game copuld care less for the woods and want to play Air'ball--not as a tourney intense game but as a rec game format.
4--perhaps present volume of business and lack of competition have something to do with the instances you named but down here there are dozens of fields to choose from and if you don't offer what the players want they go someplace else. Within two hours of my house there are at least 18 fields and all of them offer at least speedball and more than a dozen have air and/or hyperball fields.

Not hot air and rhetoric, just the reality of playing ball in Florida. You simply can't or won't accept it. :p
a--when you have as many choices as we have you go where you want to play and play on the fields you like. Dead simple.
b--and how much greater is APG's market penetration over PGI? Sometimes you buy what's available, not what you might otherwise choose.
c--here again is where we keep butting heads cus yours is buried in the past and trapped in the Brit scene and mine is looking to the future. :) My point is that paintball in the future is concept with some percentage always interested in the woods game. (Tyg notwithstanding) My larger point is the perception of the game will also change accordingly so that when people mention paintball they will eventually mean what we call tourney-style formats now.
Perhaps the Brit scene is not substantially different from the PSP control of big tourney ball [until recently] where the status quo and economic prosperity of a few are, in fact, inhibiting the potential growth of paintball and not drawing in the maximum base numbers as you seem to suppose.
d--well, your response seems to confirm my hypothesis (at least as it pertains to your prejudices), doesn't it, you old stick in the mud? :D

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Re: Re: Re: Perception is reality

Originally posted by rancid

I did! :D
Seriously, I can see airsoft ads having immediate financial effects (money good!), however I do agree that the association with airsoft can (so I'm not saying it will) have a negative impact on paintball, and will make it easier for the powers that be, particularly in European countries who are afraid of anything that reeks of guns, to ban paintball. Therefore, your quick gain might turn into serious loss over the longterm.
I'd say it would be more interesting to do demographic research into who actually plays ball, to discover their spending patterns, and adapt your advert policy around that.

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Bacs,

I aint a stick in the mud... honest. If the mag was full of 'soldiers' then I'd have to agree.

If you don't believe in the dream you are labelled as anti and old and an obstruction, and that's an easy slur to make, almost as easy as feigning disinterest when you can't muster hard fact... cos I still see nothing in your argument other than 'I am convinced'. (I will read it again.)

The vast majority of paintball's income is generated by people playing a couple of times a year.... this pays for us to play tourney. I do not think that by tailoring paintball to the 'skate-types' you are ever going to replace this income. And this is where I question the economic argument, not whether we should run ads.

Hobbit? Hobbit?

'Hobbit' as in the saviour of Middle Earth?:)

Few things...

Rancid: "Cos airsoft's ****e."

ROFLMAO

Baca: "That and of course, all of modern history's greatest crimes have been perpetuated by the appartuses of the state."

You obviously ain't seen batman 2...

Both of you: Marketing

Don't look to pball - or most sports, IMHO - marketing/ad campaigns as telling us anything about tha real nature of tha sport. Rancid, your 'market the elite, attract the elite' philosophy doesn't work for me...check out walking magazines: every piece of kit is advertised by an elite mountaineer or adventure racer telling people Jacket X can get em down safely from Everest,. or X-Trainer Y will make them run across tha Sahara. All the readers wanna do is walk up a hill and have a pub lunch.Top end gear attracts people, whether they need tha features or not.

This works to counter Baca's point too though - just cos tha companies are marketing a Paintball in which everyone is inked, pierced and Angel'd up on a Sup'Air field, doesn't mean that's the reality - just that's what they want to become tha reality cos, like Hotpoint, they see the real big Pepsi dollars just waiting round tha corner.

Are they? My heart sez yep, my head sez nope...

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Few things...

Originally posted by TJ Lambini
Rancid: "Cos airsoft's ****e."

ROFLMAO

Don't look to pball - or most sports, IMHO - marketing/ad campaigns as telling us anything about tha real nature of tha sport. Rancid, your 'market the elite, attract the elite' philosophy doesn't work for me...check out walking magazines: every piece of kit is advertised by an elite mountaineer or adventure racer telling people Jacket X can get em down safely from Everest,. or X-Trainer Y will make them run across tha Sahara. All the readers wanna do is walk up a hill and have a pub lunch.Top end gear attracts people, whether they need tha features or not.

No, I agree. You know I do! But mag ads is preaching to the converted. If you've bought the mag, the site has done its job.

Are they? My heart sez yep, my head sez nope...
Absolutely, totally agree. Honest, I ain't always down my hole.

Inferno

Paintball Addict
Funding

Obviously this is one of those topics that everyone dreads because of the "image" of paintball. I know that Rancid is known to start these somewhat controversial topics, and there is no right answer, but let's just do what Buddha3 said. Instead of getting everyone in an uproar, you should still be able to increase the profitability of the magazine by approaching companies from (seemingly unrelated industries). Buddha brought up a few, but here are some more possible ads to inject some extra revenue:

When I get off the field from an intense game of Paintball, I drink Powerade/Gatorade.

Having trouble getting up your Autococker? Take [some supplement] to increase your muscle :)

I can't afford to get lost on the way to the tourny, so I get my directions from LycosMaps.

Does your head get sunburned while you are coaching the English X-ball team? Use SPF 50 sunblock from ______ to prevent those painful burns:)