Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

anti-siphon

Originally posted by PiranahBLVFG3
ok i have three questions. most everyone that uses co2 has a anti siphon, so i want to know more about them.

1. what exactly does a anti siphon do?
2. where can i get one?
3. can i install it myself?

thanx in advance
tim
1; stops you drawing liquid co2 into your gun. the liquid co2 will stay at the bottom of the tank , think of a 1/2 full bottle of drink or summin. the anti syphon is positioned so that when its on the gun, there is a tube drawing the gas from the top of the bottle, because when its on its side the bottle will be kinda pouring the liquid into the bottom line.

you dont want to run liquid through your gun as alot of guns have problems with o-rings sealing and they get frozen, so you get leaks till your gun warms up again.

also, you get consisancy problems

2; i' think from almost any paintball reatailer

3; hmm, i'd say you better get sum1 who knows what they are doing ( as in doen a few before ), else you risk doing it slightly wrong and it actualy drwing liquid into the gun, or even wors not putting the botle back together and risking major injury

hope this helps :)

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
If you run your bottle remotely (so it stands vertically), you won't need an anti-syphon, as the liquid will be kept at the bottom of the bottle by gravity alone. Of course if you're already on air, you don't need one either as it doesn't turn to liquid like CO2 :)

I'd also recommend getting someone who knows what they're doing to fit it, although it's not particuarly difficult. They're basically just a short piece of pipe with a fitting which connects to the bottom of the CO2 valve.

But if you're fairly handy at working with CO2 bottles and do want to fit it yourself:

First screw your bottle to your gun, as you would have it when playing and use a pen to mark a line on the valve showing the uppermost point. Take the bottle off, empty it completely of gas and remove the valve from the bottle.

Attach the anti-syphon to the bottom of the valve and then bend it gently (being careful not to kink it), so that when the valve is refitted, the end of the tube will sit close to the inner wall of the bottle (the angle of the curve will be different depending on the size of bottle - 7/12/20oz) - this will probably take a couple of goes to get just right.

One the curve is sorted, remove the anti-syphon and use either PTFE tape or loctite (242/243 - not 271) on the thread and then refit - tighten it up so that the end (highest point) of the anti-syphon is exactly in line with the mark you placed on your valve earlier. Doing this means that when you reattach your bottle to your gun, the end of the tube will be sitting at the highest point of the inside of the bottle, drawing vapour, with the liquid lying underneath it.

Re-fit the valve to your bottle (again using either PTFE tape or Loctite) and tighten well - best to hold the valve in a vice and use a strap wrench on the bottle to torque it adequately.

Job done. Coupled with a decent expansion chamber, you shouldn't then draw any liquid into your marker.

One thing to note is that because all asa adaptors have slightly different thread lengths, an anti-syphon bottle which works on one marker, might not work on another as the highpoint may be different - in the worst case, the end of the tube might even end up pointing downwards and act as a syphon, drawing only liquid and no vapour!

EDIT - boring fact, but apparently both siphon and syphon are correct spellings, wierd. :D

Neddyboy

where's my precious
Jun 17, 2002
Surrey, UK
www.franceforyou.co.uk
An easy to use instruction to fit anti sypen tube and on/off valve

Fat bobs provided me with this useful info in how to fit the valve, tube and bottle etc. Thank you

1. Screw the anti syphon tube into the valve until it is tight.

2. Screw the valve onto the gun (without the bottle fitted). When the valve is screwed in all the way, hold the gun verticaly upright (as you would fire it) and bend the tube upwards.

3. Take the valve off the gun and screw the valve into the bottle.

4. Now when you screw the bottle on, the tube inside the bottle points out of the liquid within the bottle:)

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Ideally, yes. Vice and strap wrench is the best way to do it - less chance of damaging the bottle or valve. You could probably do it with a mate and a spanner - but I wouldn't recommend it.