Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

AS & A Level Results

dont cut your balls of mate, do a computer science degree as i did games developement for a year and found it to get quite dull far too much maths and physics for my liking. Also job wise there are few and far between, if you get into java, c# then **** loads of jobs and loads of money. That what i did :p

Which uni, hull?
I agree with this guy.

Computer games development is a bit of a 'mickey mouse' course in that you wont be taken as seriously as you would if you had a computer science degree.

If you have CVG then you only have the career path of computer games which isnt as great as you might think. Plus in a couple of years your plans for the future may change considerably.

Trust me on this, Ive been there.

yngndrw

Jul 23, 2006
Southport, UK
Well, I'll have to see what my options are after the first year then. We will be doing a standardised first year right across the Computing department, so I can change to any other Computing course. So I will look into that then, cheers. :)

Ginja

Dyslexic Brians
Feb 12, 2006
Reading
Visit site
I have just finished a degree in computer science, i started in computer system engineering but after a year of soldering and chips i decided i prefered programming. Fortuantly as with you the first years were so simular they let me go straight over the comp science, over the 2nd year i did a bit of games development as with all programmer making games was always a dream, i found after making all these nice little 2D games in c++ and stuff that it wasnt my cup of tea (still got a 1st in it but wasnt as fun as i thought).

I carried on with straight computer science doing all possible routes ie internet, VoIP, database and system analysis. Jus so you know it was a standard 3 year degree and i did it in 3 years was not pissing about.

On the day of my graduation i got offered 3 jobs and took the most interesting and do not regret it, i have a LOT of friends from my uni doing different variations of computing and finding it very hard to get work. One did computer graphics design 2 years ago and is still unemployed!

yngndrw

Jul 23, 2006
Southport, UK
Oh okay, so what kind of job have you been able to get then ?

To be honest, my career path hasn't had an aweful lot of though, I just followed what I was good at.

Ginja

Dyslexic Brians
Feb 12, 2006
Reading
Visit site
currently java and xslt developer

making massive data repositorys and statistical analysis systems for large orginisation

other jobs i went for were java/jsp/asp development roles

I know that question was aimed at Ginj, But Im gonna answer anyway.

I started my own business half way through year 2 (way to make life hard for yourself John).

Now I part own Spitfire paintball and also work for lucky paintball in the US writing firmware for paintball products.
Which means I get to fly around the world watching top level paintball and occasionally writing the odd line of code :cool:

If you had told me I would be doing this 5 years ago I would have thought you were crazy...

So it just goes to show things change more than you expect and you dont have to plan out your entire life just yet. Ride the breeze and try to do what you enjoy as well as what your good at.

weedave

Jan 16, 2002
Belfast
Final A-Level Results

Double Award Manufacturing: BB
Information Communication Technology(ICT): B

So, BBB overall and those results have me moving over to your side of the pond. I'll be attending Manchester Met next year :cool:

See you all in the bar!

Dave