The Home Of European Paintball

Audiences at Tourneys

Village Idiot

Barking Mad Member
Jul 11, 2001
Costa del Eastbourne
Visit site
Dont expect too much from TV

Bravo TV will be at Campaign obviously to film the finals of their series, but I can't imagine that they're gonna hang around filming the whole tournie. If they do then we'll get the usual edited highlights. So it seems if you want your team to be on TV then do something special!!

Niall and his crew are doing a sterling job promoting the sport, he's the only one I can see doing it in the UK at present. I know he's lining his own pockets as well, but then paintball's his livelyhood.

Pave

Jul 11, 2001
Guernsey
www.bouja.com
Its just the climax of the stuff with the teams from Mission Paintball whose games are will be filmed.

I would guess that Niall will try to get some footage of the surrounding tournament to prove what a large scale paintball exists upon....

The Billionare

Aug 15, 2001
denver
Visit site
People watch cricket for crying out loud, no offense, but this is the dumbest game ever. Hockey has fast paced action at least and football has tackling and great passing or the occasional long run that excites people. Baseball, nothing exciting IMO, just a bunch of guys standing around scratching themselves. Boring. Paintball has guns and little paintballs flying everywhere with an occasional bunkering and the one ball right between the eyes to excite people. People will watch anything. You overestimate the human attention span and underestimate paintballs ability to capture an audience. It will. It just needs organization, one series for the year and a big game at the end and people will watch it when it rolls through their town and on tv and will have a favorite team and favorite players. It's hard to keep up with all the different teams and tournaments and series happening all year round. It's too much work for someone who hasn't become a fanatic, golf proves people don't watch just for excitement, they watch the game they like to play or what captures their interests, and paintball has all the ingredients to capture audiences, just too hard to follow it in it's current form. And then there is the most obvious reason it has no large audience, PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE PAINTBALL HAS COME OUT OF THE WOODS! My mom likes watching, my brother watches, they seem to actually get a kick out of my videos. Sorry to rant so long, but the point is, people will watch anything.

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Problem the game has with TV is that it's hard to follow. Want to make it easier? Ok, you need to change a lot of things.

Limit paint, to encourage movement over shooting.
Make it easier to move. More bunkers, or diffrent bunkers.
Limit Tech, make the stuff lighter, or slower to shoot, to encourage movement.

See the pattern yet?

You need to make more movement, not more colors. Camera's can't follow the balls in flight, we know this. So you need to follow people in motion. Imagine a LaSoya run as a playbook highlight? That's what a camera will love. And, the close in bunkering that a camera guy can anticipate and focus in on, that's good TV. So are cheerleaders, but the XFL proved that cheerleaders don't make a good sporting event.

There's more, but that's all I got the energy to type.

-Tyger

markh

Shockwave III
Aug 6, 2001
Bristol
www.katzpaintballteam.co.uk
Most sports involve the viewer following a ball (eg rugby, pool, golf), some centre of action (eg boxing, synchro swimming!, ice skating, freestyle snowboaring) or somebody trying to go faster/higher etc. than the others (racing etc)

In paintball the centre of action is everywhere. Paintbal on tv looks crap (eg the Bravo thing), at least in a stadium you can see the whole field, but you can miss action if you are looking at the wrong area of the field at the wrong time. Fitting cameras to each player and having cameras cover all the field then some serious editing might provide some interesting tv, but I doubt it, with paintball the adrenaline rush is personal, at least with say watching skydiving you can imagine yourself falling and get some adrenanline, but sitting at home watching some guy shoot paint at another may not do it. How about football you say ? Theres a lot more to football than a few guys kicking a ball around, its about belonging to a "tribe" and wanting your tribe to win.

There are currently hundreds of sports and activities, all wanting to be in the mainstream, sports like sky diving are ocassionaly on tv as its seen to be slighly crazy and dangerous, surfing as its a part fashion cool i.e might assocation with it might make you more attractive to women. To most people. paintball is a fun day out and on hearing about tournaments its basically another activity. Its also expensive compared to say mainstream sport (i.e tourney marker + equipment + tourney fees + paint fees). Ok mountain bikes etc. can be expensive, but once you have bought it theres only maintenance costs to worry about.

I dont think paintball will ever become a mass or even minor spectator sport. The excitement is all in the players head.

I love playing paintball. Play it and love it. If you want people to watch you, take up surfing or perhaps acting. Otherwise, put on your goggles and game on!

Justin(Thunder)

Thunder
Jul 7, 2001
UK
Visit site
I don't know if the Bravo thing is a good example of how to film paintball. It was plain to see the production crew where learning as the days went on, I don't think the cameramen had seen a paintball game before they started filming!!!

I'm also not sure if "Mission Paintball" is such good exposure for the sport after all. Most if not all the feedback I've had from my non-player friends just confirmed my fears, we're all "Gun Freaks" or "Wannabe Soldiers". Although they did say it was fun to watch not one of them said they would watch the whole series, each show was "all the same". I doubt many of them are gonna watch it to the end and see the Sup air. Which is abit of a disapontment cause not one non-player I've spoken to has any idea what Sup Air is and I guess never will...

I'm also sure that if production companies continue to film plainball their filming will also improve as they begin to understand the game and work on the shots that portray the action best.

Justin (Thunder)

Village Idiot

Barking Mad Member
Jul 11, 2001
Costa del Eastbourne
Visit site
TV coverage will be limited to 'extreme channels

I have no doubt that tv coverage will be limited to channels like Bravo and others, and I doubt if you will ever see it on BBC or ITV, well maybe Chan 4 late night or early morning but that's about it.
The reason being that concept Paintball obviously by its very nature has an element of violence. Muggings are a great example and players are quite often left writhing in the pain of a close up mugging.
We all love it but will mainstream tv audiences? Debatable.
I know people watch boxing but look at the flack that it gets!!
The question is in this cotton wool society that we live in, what message does it give to kids.
You know and I know its safe, but public ignorance creates public debate.
Some countries ban paintball for chrissake!
I think it will a long time b/4 we see widespread covereage in this country.

Dave S ECI

ECI + HFT
Jul 17, 2001
53rd and 3rd
Visit site
well russell steel from shockwave has his mug plastered across the croydon advertiser, a local paper around crystal palace so it may get some people to go along and check it out, maybe sat and sunday buit do not expect too much on fri.