Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bottom Line Buffoons ....

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
For some time now, there have been whispers coming out of Procaps that have augured badly for its future.

The problem seems to be one of mismanagement or to be more accurate, a guy called rob molyneux who's allegedly in charge over there in Canada.
I have heard a few distasteful things concerning this man molyneux, he is apparently irrational, rude and boorish; not exactly the required qualities you need when looking to turn the fortunes around for a stuggling company in 'struggling' times.

Enter Mr Bottom Line

Bottom line managers are basically individuals who negotiate their way thru the business minefield relying on the facts & figures a balance sheet throws up as any finanical year progresses.

Generally speaking, there are two types of bottom-line merchants who take over companies [in trouble]; there are those who have some affinity to the marketplace they find themselves in and there are others who have no such affinity and look solely to the balance sheet.

It is now fashionable [out of need more than anything] for investment funds to own paintball companies, in fact, a lot of the biggest paintball companies such as Kee, Procaps and Tippman are all owned and controlled by such investment fund management.

And it's all well and good having this type of thinking running these big companies but somewhere along the line, if you are continually looking at the balance sheet, you have to take stock of the actual environment you are in and it is the marriage of these combined data that allows you to best run that company.

Paintball is not a business you can run successfully unless you have some degree of personal approach to both employees and just as importantly to your customers.

Paintball is parochial by nature and responds positively to the personal touch even though the sheer size of business does imply a less personal touch is appropriate.

rob molyneux seems to redefine what blinkered management means, he has recently been responsible for the severance of the services of Opie Thomas and Paul Satler from Procaps, basically he has just sacked them.

OPie's a friend of mine and I know him well enough to know, a harder working [and more loyal] individual you could not find and it's incredulous molyneux has sought to let Opie go.
I do not know Paul anywhere near as well as I know Opie but I hear he's apparently a similar sort of guy.

The point here is, paintball is an industry that thrives on the personal touch, and there is no greater tragic irony in paintball than acknowledging Richmond Italia created and grew Procaps on just such a personal approach.

Richmond got his ass out there in the beginning of Procaps and met people, cultivating relationships and trust ... I think he started with something like 4 machines and rapidly expanded that operation to a point where he had over 20 machines and was able to sell it for an alleged $110 million.

I know for a FACT, there is no way Procaps could have grown that fast without Richmond adopting that personal philosophy in the beginning and also maintaining it thru to its eventual sale.

And now?
The bottom line approach, as best exampled by some ludicrous management decisions this guy molyneux has made is gonna see Procaps struggling to resist the invitation for one last dance of death .... maybe it's time for history to repeat itself before it's too late .... R?

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
I hope this isnt a sign of things to come! I know Smart Parts was a totally different set of circumstances and the press release of a reopening in February looks promising if not questionable but it is beginning to look like a collapse from the top with the big guys falling first.

Hopefully a consortium type take over will aid procaps' fortunes or indeed a re-buy from Ricmond will invigorate the company (what about GI in this situation) and all will be well.

I can only hope these pillars of the industry dont dissapear as that would be a bad sign of things to come.

jumbaleo

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Its a serious question, I just wanted to know why they are in trouble, if there was a specific reason or is it just the general state of the wider economy.

I thought Procaps pretty much had a monopoly on supplying paint?

jumbaleo

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Forgive me for not really understanding what you mean, but are you saying Procaps distributors haven't paid Procaps for the paint Procaps have supplied?

chuckwood

Now back in Australia!
Aug 2, 2008
Adelaide, South Australia
'Terms' refers to terms of sale, meaning that you give a customer say 21 days to pay on invoice of good recieved. If someone can't pay you are then looking at cash flow issues. Nasty.
Buy outs by Investment firms is nothing new, their role is to generally buy a sick company at a knockdown price, fix it up and sell it for a profit. I hate to say it but that is the way it goes, touchy feely doesn't cut it when you have shareholders or investors who want their Profit on Return.