Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bunkerzone 3 Man Tournament

b.johnson

Mar 9, 2009
He didnt get pulled for questioning refs?

In that game on a previous point a player hit the buzzer (ok touched the start gate) i checked him to ensure he was clean and in the space between his pack sleeves there was what a very small amount of paint, to be honest it looked weeks old and i honestly couldnt decide if it was actually a hit or just dirty. I then asked the other refs did they see anything close to a hit on player all of which said no. A thing worth noting here was the paint or scruffy mark on the players pack was a different colour to the paint that was being shot at him. I explained to the player that he was being given the benefit of the dowt and he is to ensure all old paint and muck is to be off for his next game. He excepted this no problem at all. Then came the next guy saying he should be reffed by millennium rules (worth noting this was impossible coz of the way the event was set up and ran). Anyways to cut it short, in a later point the player hit the buzzer and was checked, he had a obvious huge splat in the flap on his pack, very easy and straight forward dirty flag hang and was issued 1 4 1 as per the rules, no point. He then tried to argue his point which i dont have a problem with, his argument was why wasnt he given the benefit of the dowt, fact was paint was still running down his pack it was a clean obvious hit. I tried to explain to the player all of the above however he wouldnt except it and kept talking over the top to me so i just walked away its as easy as that, he continued to argue to which i replied i thought you wanted to be reffed to Mil rules to which he replied that i was inconsistent.

I except this was maybe inconsistent in his eyes but in mine it wasnt. First guy had old paint, he didnt he was shot simple as that really. I have no idea who either of the teams or players are so i cant be accused of victimisation or unjustified calls?

The daft part is the guy is a really good player and in my eyes he tried to exploit the rules, i have no problem with that just dont complain when your caught.

The only other question that could be raised with refs was how anal i was with sock violations (not having them on their person). I have not a problem in the world of eliminating a player for leaving sock coz simply its a safety concern which of coarse was proven on the day. One lad lost his mask and the game was froze then restarted correctly, and the second a ref collapsed and passed out. Point proven really sock on person is a must! For removing socks prior to the call i was relaxed and issued warning as per the rules so that really cant be winged at.

If anyone has a question with the calls then please fire them up and i will answer them no probs all. Infact i welcome it both to improve myself and going of past experience improve the player who has the question or doesnt understand rules correctly.

Anyways hope that answered the question?

The event ran smoothly and without drama which was good, the atmosphere was very relaxed and people enjoyed their day which is always good to see even with the cold weather.

The only fault i could find was the way the semis and finals worked and also how the prize money differed from what was advertised, but i guess that will all be ironed out for the next event.

All in all a good day for the majority which is all that counts coz you cant keep everyone happy all the time :D
I understand that the reffing took the fun of the occasion into account as I actually took my sock off before the call and was given a warning first (which was good) and it didn't happen again. However it did seem in only that game that it may have gone a little petty (I hope I'm wrong and I apologise if I am). My friend actually overheard some marshalls saying that they would be scrutinising that player (which I probably would if I was a marshall but it doesn't make it right) and the 50 50 call that was made against that player I think maybe went that way because he was being scrutised and my friend also heard the other chap who was involved say as he was walking off that he did play on in the heat of the moment.
I don't want to come across as if I didn't think the reffing was good because 99% of the time it was and I enjoyed the day (apart from the weather), I just think that maybe it's easy to get a bee in ones bonnet and it shouldn't come into consideration when making calls (if that's what happened).

chrizwheatley

Northern Baller
Sep 23, 2007
Near Newcastle
Pleased i answered satifactoraly.

To answer your question yes that play suffered more attention in that particular game, not in the games following.

The player is obviously quite experienced and knew how to get around rules, to be fair he was clever and done what most experienced players do and contend points to try and change a call. I never change a call at all. If i make a mistake i hold my hands up and say sorry i cost you a point, game, whatever.

I would guess its more like common sense to say if you catch or suspect someone more then others then you would pay closer attention to that player, its not victimisation or bias its ensuring you do your job correctly and effectively. Like i said previously i have no idea who the guy is or any of his team etc so can only judge on that games play, and in this case it was justified in my opinion. Following that i issued the same player a 1 4 1 for playing on, he was shot clearly on his arm, he checked himself i signalled out from the other side of the field, in fairness he probly couldnt see so i moved over the field to pull him out in which time he played on and moved away to the other side of the bunker away from the ref watching him, calling himself clean; straight forward 1 4 1, after that point i explained to the player why he was given the 1 4 1 and he excepted it was the right call but said he couldnt see the place the paint marked, my answer was; you knew you were hit, if you couldnt see it you ask for a check you dont just play on. Again he accepted this so maybe he came away having learned something.

Petty maybe, the player asked to be judged to a high standard and thats what he received, that wasnt so much petty it was simply what was requested. No other player asked me to be more or less harsh neither did the organisers, infact i received some good feedback likewise did the other refs. I think looking from the refs point above then i made the right call, i was not petty and i did not victimise or bias for or against any team. I done my job correctly and judged players how they needed to be judged using common sense... if a player cheats or trys to exploit rules there is obviously a reason they are doing so and from experience i would say because they have an intent on moving the game in their favour so these players would receive closer attention but in no way victimisation.

I guess to prove the point, in following games when the player had any questions he done the correct thing and asked after the game, hopefully i helped to answer his questions.

I think if he or anyone has any issues with the way i ref then unlucky really, i call a spade a spade regardless who the player or team is, they are judged on skill in that game not any previous carry on etc and i feel that this is the correct way to ref. There should be a mutual respect between players and refs. The player should respect the refs call because they are seeing the whole picture and the ref should except that paintball is a extreme sport where emptions run a little high so a little horse play and boyish attitude isnt so bad.

I honestly cant remember the 50 50 call otherwise i would answer that to but as a dead cert the player wouldnt have received a bad call out of mallace he would have received the only fair call; if a ref can not see who shot who first then they eliminate both players and call it trade. This did happen on a few occasions on that day and only once did i make a call for a player, i saw a player receive a hit on his pack he was running to a bunker and shot back at the player once he was there both of them trading out. I eliminated the player who i seen get shot first and allowed the other player to play on. In that game it was Monks vs Monks so it defiantly wasnt the call you mentioned above but never mind.

Like i said previously if you have any more questions or queries fire away and i will do my best to answer them honestly. If it turns out what i done was wrong via other feedback from better refs then myself then i will happily hold my hands up and say ok fair enough a mistake was made. I think the only thing that is niggling at me that i done wrong was shout TIME instead of FREEZE when a mask came off, i still done all the rest of the drill... guns down blah blah blah and restated the game correctly after eliminating the player, i guess people are just human and you see a guy taking paint in a snake with no mask you flap a little and use any word that comes to mind lol :D

Northy_Delta

stop bitchin start playin
Aug 5, 2002
Harrogate AKA Toytown
Visit site
Well first up, I was the player your referring too in some of your comments above Chriz. I felt we sorted it on the day and I came away with no issues or grips regarding the reffing. After playing for a good few years and being under Jabba's (CPL ultimate) wing for 8 years, I know just how hard it can be to reff any form of event.

I think there is some confusion with your post as I can assure you I was not the guy who was 141'd accross field (when you talk about someone being hit on the arm), but I am certainly the person your referring to about the pack hit.

Too often I think players come on forums such as this and start bringing up reffing issues; trying to drag a resolved problem through the mud as a way of justifiying a loss or poor performance from themselves or associated team. This is not something im interested in doing and think you give a fair account above; in short I asked for you to be strict on the rules and in return you starting being strict on the rules! No complaints there, and as you posted my frustration was understood when we talked on the field.

I would argue that we way in which I brought problems up with you on the field was not out of order and I didnt kick off or become abusive in any form. It seems you understood what I had to say and like I said, we dealt with it on the field without drama. I would also argue at no point did I intentially cheat and frankly, know better (a cheat would of probally either called himself dead and let a team mate buzz or wiped the hit prior to hitting the gate).

With regard to the 50 50 call, there is no point discussing it. These kind of calls happen all day long at every event in the country. Sometimes they go your way, sometimes they dont. This was not even brought up with the reff's and would be pointless baiting to the player in question if discussed on the forum.

Cheers for the days reffing, and apologies this was even raised by a team mate. Was a good days playing and smooth event.

Northy

chrizwheatley

Northern Baller
Sep 23, 2007
Near Newcastle
Pleased its was all sorted, i always try and do better and i think with the questions you asked etc it made me concentrate a little more on what i was doing and less on Moppy putting balls and "hairs" in my pop lol, so in fairness you done me a favour :D

I am also pleased you didnt feel like i single you out or tried to set an example, i try my best to ref everyone as equals the way i think a ref should be.

I just think that explaining to anyone any queries or questions they may have helps them, obviously you have been in the game and understand well, other players or teamates may not see things the same way and by explaining to them why etc they hopefully learn something and get something from it.

Anyways job done and well played :D