Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Cheating in paintball Survey

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
*shrugs*

no high horse involved, I do this for a laugh, winning is not that important to me. not important enough to spoil other peoples day by cheating.

don't you see that cheating puts people off getting into the sport/game/whatever? I brought 10 guys to a site where they didn't police the cheating enough and have found it very difficult to get them to come again.

I've played games against wipers and it screwed the whole point of the day.

Then again, I'm not in the "top divs" (i play scenario) and if i was and had got there like that then what would it mean?
Fair point, scenario is very different, and credit to you for being moral in that instance, it's a different kettle of fish and one that has to police itself. But I feel that (tournament) cheating is just as much a part of the game as anything else. If you were good at cheating, fair do's. Cheating well is a skill.

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
Fair point, scenario is very different, and credit to you for being moral in that instance, it's a different kettle of fish and one that has to police itself. But I feel that (tournament) cheating is just as much a part of the game as anything else. If you were good at cheating, fair do's. Cheating well is a skill.
I appreciate your honesty and must admit that my lack of experience in tournament paintball may colour my view of the matter. We do (most of us) try and keep it honest in scenario. To the point that anyone caught wiping in our team is off the team no questions asked, no second chances.

i think what you guys are talking about is gamesmanship, which is slightly (but not much) different to cheating.

Anders

May 17, 2005
London
Visit site
Is that really for a dissertation??
Yep its really for my dissertation about cheating, I am using paintball as my main focus because of the mixed views on the subject (as your discussion is showing).
I am very greatful to you all for contributing to my research. I never thought I would get this many responses in such a short period of time! :D

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
Coolio mate, whats the degree in?

I agree cheating is a skill, one which im not good at, and dont like but people use it to there advantage. The thing that gets me peolpe dont mind it, but if I use a ramping board in a semi tournamnet, or adjust my ramping to start earlier, shoot a greater bps then people have an issue...

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
So everyone accepts that cheating is an acceptable part of the game huh ? ,even encouraged in some camps ,we then have marshalls who now have to work on the premise that everyone is going to get away with whatever they can...then we all scream and shout like little bitches when we get a bad call against us ..

Yeh, what a great skill :rolleyes:...

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
So everyone accepts that cheating is an acceptable part of the game huh ? ,even encouraged in some camps ,we then have marshalls who now have to work on the premise that everyone is going to get away with whatever they can...then we all scream and shout like little bitches when we get a bad call against us ..

Yeh, what a great skill :rolleyes:...
Thats what I dont get people moan abut bad calls and people cheating yet they all think its ok to do it :confused:

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
If you think that the 'pros' don't cheat - watch the "Life" DVD!

Every sport has a 'cheat' system - why should paintball be different? In fact, everyone cheats in some aspect of their life - even if it's only doing 31mph in a 30 zone.

We've ALL done it at least once (yes you have), so let's get over it and accept the fact it is going to happen (if it isn't - then why have marshalls/referees/umpires/police etc.?).

Screaming "on iz oppa, on iz oppa" is all part of the fun :D.

Oh, and there's no such thing as a "bad call" - just a "mistaken" one ;).

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
We all know everyone cheats, pro's, whoever ...Karkus is idolised for it FFS.

However, this is the first sport I've ever played where cheating is bragged about and it would appear in many cases industry sponsored.

And, at an amateur un-regulated level it is destroying the 'sport'. Now we have 12 year olds with ramping markers shouting and swearing at marshalls thinking they're big men ...all part of the same school of 'it's OK to cheat' ,dark path as far as I'm concerned...

Don't cheat on the field, cheat on the wife ...

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
We all know everyone cheats, pro's, whoever ...Karkus is idolised for it FFS.

However, this is the first sport I've ever played where cheating is bragged about and it would appear in many cases industry sponsored.

And, at an amateur un-regulated level it is destroying the 'sport'. Now we have 12 year olds with ramping markers shouting and swearing at marshalls thinking they're big men ...all part of the same school of 'it's OK to cheat' ,dark path as far as I'm concerned...

Don't cheat on the field, cheat on the wife ...and get your balls cut off :)
Fixed...but agree mate, I see a lot of new guys playing, following the example by a select few who cheat, these guys dont just cheat now and again they go out onto the field with the sole purpose of cheating to win, kids see it and go "hell those guys are good, we can do that, just argue and wipe to victory"

The amount of cheating is disgusting...will it ever be rectified...NO.

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
Kids look up to their peers. These peers are the pro players I'm talking about. The messages these 'top' players are sending is simply "you HAVE to cheat to win". It's rife in all sports - diving in football is the biggest example - and Tranaldo is one of the biggest divers in football today - yet some kids want to be just like him.

Bragging about it is just plain stupid - as it'll only get you watched closer by the officials.

So - do we need better trained/qualified officials to police it (eg. like the 4th official in football or a replay judge in rugby)? Or do we simply accept that it is a part of any sport and go with the flow?