Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Classifieds idea

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
Hi Mods

On seeing some of the changes to the Classifieds rule, I had this idea based on other forum's I've been a member of.

New members:- MUST post in the newbie area, a welcome, bit about themselves and/or what kind of PB they play/want to play.

Only on doing this will they be permitted then to post in other areas.

10-15 posts minimum before being able to view Classifieds
(But only if they request permission to access it)

All posts towards the Classifieds permit must be worthy posts, either querying or in response to others. and not just random one word spamming.
Alternatively the 10-15 posts must be started threads.

I'm sure I had better ideas than this but not so sure now i'm posting.

Blue Beanie

I <3 Summer!!!!!
Dec 27, 2009
Devon
Problem is though, does no one else get bored of the countless threads springing up in the newbies section about: hi, i am basically doing this to get one of my ten posts, i play paintball, what a shocker :eek:

Reactions: H

Tricky Dicky

Turks
May 9, 2008
Inverness
Could get the newbies section a bit cluttered, but on the other hand it's a good idea :).

The 10-15 posts been started threads though could make one hell of a mess I think, imagine 10 people join over a month and all want to use the classifieds?. Then that's potentially 100 new threads popping up for no reason other than to make up numbers.

Think it's probably best to leave it as is for a while and see how it settles :).

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
Rat, how would one make sure that the posts are worthy though? I'm sure that a few of my early posts from not too long ago would be considered as almost spam-like, (I was asking a lot of questions though!)

I'm a member of one forum (same build as this one) that makes sure that members can't "lurk" - i.e. be registered for a certian period of time without posting an introduction thread. The problem is much like what Blue Beanie said - 10-word things saying (actually, here's a quote) "Hi, I'm James and I like carbon fiber - its cool."

I think that requesting access to the classifieds if you're under a certian post count is a very good idea though. If a member really needed access to the classifieds, perhaps there could be a payment option ;) so as to make their plea to have classifieds access looked at first :)

Rob

Barsteward

Oct 25, 2003
Visit site
One of the other forums I frequent demand a 250 post count before allowing trades on the basis that it attracts contributors to the forums but it is also modded to manage spam posts. Its a hard job finding the balance, especially as buying kit is a great way to build the community with members who will stick around.

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
I didn't say the idea wasn't flawed lol, was trying to think up ways of helping the Mods and Members avoid more scamming but at the same time still be "easy" enough to encourage genuine new members.

as to what post is worthy or not.
someone responding to a post the same day as joining with answers like "too expensive" and then on another "yes!" with all 8 of their posts being of similar natures immediately smelt dodgy.

Asking questions is fine. a brief intro on the newbies page is always great as it helps people to help them.

karl saunders

swarve
Jul 14, 2013
im new to here, would getting a platinum membership mean i could buy straight away without getting 10posts?