The Home Of European Paintball

Crossfire on Channel4

JanSolo

I still suck
Jul 7, 2001
Leamington Spa
Visit site
Hi all,

Just watched the first episode of Crossfire on Channel4...

For those of you that dont know, it's a paintball show with specially organised scenarios rather than normal tourney or rec fields.

I have to say I was pleasantly suprised by it. Ok, it was a bit cheesy (The 'House Robots' are supposed to remind us of Gladiators I think.)... but the action sequences were well done.

To people who've not played before, it gives a real representation of what paintball is like. Although it is a bit 'warlike', it doesnt pander to the Camo-wearing-tippman-toters. I predict that it'll encourage lots of newbies into the sport which can only be a good thing for all of us.

The equipment they had was wierd! Some of the wussy 'minions' had F4 Illustrators, but I couldnt recognise any of the other guns they used. They were obviously semis, but covered in a load of 'sci-fi' gubbins.

At least the safety was well presented; everyone wore goggles/full face masks. Also, I didnt check, but it looked like everyone was wearing knee and elbow protection...

To sum up:

Pros:
Good action.
Safety seemed OK.
Realistic. (apart from the silly outfits + kit)

Cons:
Cheesy characters.
Presenter was a tit.

Did anyone else see it?

Jan.

X-fire

Totally agree with what you said Jan.

Theres obviously been a lot of money and time invested in the program so channel 4 must see a future for it.

It will get members of the public out and playing - I should know I've just had a call from a guy wanting to book in my site. He's dug out an old flyer after watching the program. Problem is I shut two years ago.

John

Ps Bully. Thats another one coming your way mate.

Jonneh

Jul 16, 2001
Birmingham, UK
www.notgoatse.cx
I didn't like it and I have absolutly no idea why.

maybe because they didn't make a point to show how important good cover is (almost everyone was in full view of everyone else 90% of the time).

Can't think of much yet, oh, did anyone notice that 'AJ' dude (hah) kept firing his gun upside down?

oh yeah... distinct lack of The Rock

JanSolo

I still suck
Jul 7, 2001
Leamington Spa
Visit site
Originally posted by Jonneh
I didn't like it and I have absolutly no idea why.

maybe because they didn't make a point to show how important good cover is (almost everyone was in full view of everyone else 90% of the time).
Of course!!! It would make MUCH better viewing if you couldnt see anyone!!!

Presenter: "And here, we see... uh... not much really, cause everyones hiding like girls!"

You lose, Jon.

Jan.

Gogger

Crispy Fried
Jul 7, 2001
North Wales
Visit site
Oh well!... Each to their own I supose..... Personaly, I thought it sucked big time. It was so bad it was almost hypnotic, I couldn't take my eyes off it, it was like watching a car crash or something like that. (You know you shouldn't be looking, and you don't really want to see, but you just can't take your eyes off it!!)
I think the most awful thing is that next time I tell someone that is unaware of the sport, that I play paintball, they might think that that is what I do, and that is sad.
I think Mission Paintball was a much better (but not perfect) advert for our sport.
Gogger

Jonneh

Jul 16, 2001
Birmingham, UK
www.notgoatse.cx
Newbie player : Right, I've payed up, i'm kitted out, now wheres my assault cannon? WHAT IN SWEET CRISPY JESUS IS THIS PANSY PILE OF ASS??!?! TIPPMANN??!?? THAT SOUNDS LIKE A COMPANY THAT MAKES SEWING MACHINES!!!@#~~ *

I dont think it represented paintball as a sport, but as a method of putting action into the program.

Hell, i liked mission paintball more as well

I also think The Rock should be one of the el33t forces in the next series

Generic Faceless opponent: We're pulling out (because we are making it too hard
The Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

or something

*AHAHAHAA I MADE A FUNNY!!!

X-Fire (Dam all u guys beet me to posting about it!)

X-Fire... Hmmm

I think that Jan is right, it was both good viewing and that presenter was a tit... it was horrendously cheesey, but great fun, I think I'm addicted already!:D

Though to be fair, that is not what I want people to think I do (like Quasar!). Still the paintball wasn't much cop really, neither was the gear (why weren't the SF people using electros?)

N e way, Its nice to see safe paintball presented in a good light in the public eye, which is what we need, and if there are more people wanting to play paintball because of it then that CAN'T b a bad thing.

So, lots of fun, as long as you don't take it too seriously

Well I liked it,

Richard