Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Daily Mail article yesterday

Walker (Nitro)

Who's Maria?
Jul 8, 2001
SoNotts
Did anybody see the article in yesterdays mail about Ken Costin (may he rest in peace), I thought it was very well written and did not condemn the safety of our sport at all.

Jonny B

I'am the Dawg!
Nov 1, 2001
Nuneaton England
Visit site
Paintballs FIRST FATALITY

Story from DAILY MIRROR

DAD KILLED BY A PAINTBALL Ken, 39, is war game's first victim

By Andy Rudd

TRAGIC father-of-two Ken Costin died after being blasted in the back of the head with a paintball, an inquest heard yesterday.

Ken, hit from around 9ft, is believed to be the popular war game's first fatality. The blow almost certainly led to the stroke that killed him ten days later, the coroner was told. Metalworker Ken, 39, was wearing a protective mask as he and six friends fought another team outdoors in January.

He was crouching by a hay bale near S****horpe, Lincs, when an opponent ran behind and fired from close range.

The ball - they can fly 70ft - hit him on an uncovered part of the neck.

Ken, who had a history of migraines, later complained of dizziness and began slurring his words.

He quit the tournament and returned home to Sandy, Beds.

His wife Christina said: "He went to work the next day, but came home saying he didn't feel well.

"On Thursday he said he felt like his head was exploding."

Christina said he later collapsed. Ken was taken to hospital, where he died three days later.

Team-mate Mark Berry told the Bedford inquest: "The paintball broke on impact and Ken made no obvious response other than swearing and walking away because he had been eliminated.

"Later he began to slur his words, so we stopped him from playing."

Neurologist John Xeureb said there was insufficient evidence to show that the paintball had damaged the blood vessels to Ken's brain.

But it had probably triggered the chain reaction that caused the stroke.

(As far as I'm aware this is the first paintball related death.!!)