Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Designer Cheating !!!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I had a conversation recently with a highly respected and influential person in paintball, his identity matters not, only his credentials.
He told me something that shocked me, now maybe I was being naive but I think if what we discussed turns out to be true ( and I believe it is after my talk with him) then perhaps my naivety would be better described as idealism.
He told me that certain teams and at the moment it serves no purpose to reveal their names (though I do know them), have a policy of designer cheating when it comes to setting up their markers.
This cheat comes in two forms; firstly, it allows those predisposed to have their guns fire virtually full auto.
Secondly and in my opinion, much more serious, is the ability to fire above the tournament limit of 300 fps and in some cases, well above.
Now come the time the judge gets his hands on the gun or the player is asked to chronograph, the marker is now not in the same mode, so it is not detected.
I think we all have known that players push boundaries (a euphemism for cheating in my book) in this area but to have teams institutionalise this, is quite another thing.
I know I have been on a field and had paint whizzing in at me like a frikkin steam train from their back guys whereas mine is falling short but I don't think I put this down to (at the time) any thing more serious than a one-off.
Apparently the situation is far more serious than I had thought and one I know that not only Magued (as promoter of a Millennium tournament) is aware of.
I was told by my initial enlightener that steps were going to be taken but to tell the truth, I heard that last year and the resolve of the Millennium to do on-field chronographing was little more than a standing joke.
It seems ironic to me that they make a massive hoo-ha about the no-look rule (since removed) and whack it in the rule-book, enforcing it without delay and yet their stated policy of trying to catch and prevent hot guns is laughable.
If you are gonna try and catch these people or dissuade them from doing this sh#t then have the balls to chronograph them on field when the game is going on as many times as it takes.
No sensible minded paintballer is gonna have a problem with that, in fact, the only players or teams who might have a problem are the very ones who are cheating the **** outa the rest of us !
Over to you Mag :)
Pete

jeevusmaximus

Jan 12, 2002
Although I have never played a tourny, I hate cheaters because it really does spoil it for the others playing especially on the opposing team. As I havent been to a tourny, I dont know if this would work but, would it be possible to do a random gun test, much like a drug test in athletics or other sports. For instance, a marshal with each team takes a random marker to test it. I dont fully understand how the players/cheaters can change the modes so quickly (do they have electros with different modes they can configure to near or full auto spec?).

Robbo, please enlighten me.

Magued

Jul 10, 2001
Visit site
News to me!

As I have heard this stuff for years now and havent actuelly seen this EVER.

But If it is true then we will come down hard on this.
I can understand if people dont want to go out public in a forum and accuse teams for manipulating there guns, but how about email us and give us a hint of witch teams that may do this. In that way we can focus our attention.

I would love to catch thoose *******!!

my email is

Idris@chello.se

Magued

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by jeevusmaximus
Although I have never played a tourny, I hate cheaters because it really does spoil it for the others playing especially on the opposing team. As I havent been to a tourny, I dont know if this would work but, would it be possible to do a random gun test, much like a drug test in athletics or other sports. For instance, a marshal with each team takes a random marker to test it. I dont fully understand how the players/cheaters can change the modes so quickly (do they have electros with different modes they can configure to near or full auto spec?).
Robbo, please enlighten me.
OK, this is not solely one gun and perhaps the old saying. 'Necessity is the mother of invention' may well go to explain the nature of these cheats.
They basically re-program or reconfigure their marker in such a way that a coded series of inputs via the trigger or some other subtle method is designed into the gun.
The judge has no knowledge of this coded input and even if he did have an idea, the actual specifics of the input would be a matter of trial and error till he eventually discovered it.
The manufacturers maybe able to help but at the moment, like in most areas of life, the cheats have the leading edge.
Now I know there are plans to seize guns and have them thoroughly checked but I am dubious about this as there are so many intermediate stages from collection to penalty award.
Too much opportunity to my liking for 'people' to become involved if you get what I mean.
No, the answer is a resolute policy of on field chronographing and this time, instead of talking about it, do it.
And when they are caught, then look at their guns and if a designer cheat is found then ban them from the entire tournament and if two guns are found on the same team then ban the whole team and if they repeat offend then ban them from the series for that year and so on...
Just my opinion u understand
Robbo ( A sub 300 player and proud of it :) )

darm

Coach- Taunton Snatch Uk
Jul 6, 2001
Devon (UK)
www.facebook.com
UMMM...
Got to agree with Pete here, there are times when peoples guns do go over the 300 fps mark i.e. broken paint in the barrel, spikes in air pressure, etc. But to deliberately play with your gun so it does shoot over is outrageous, just suppose you bunker someone with your gun really hot after just turning it up look at the consequences-smashed goggles, maybe loss of sight, serious paint lacerations from impact etc etc.

Come on you idiots that do this sort of thing what do you get from this maybe so you can tell people you hurt someone at the weekend, blinded someone the weekend blah blah blah.

Random on field checking may not resolve the problem immediately, but I'm sure it would make people think twice about doing it especially if it could be prooven that they had been fiddling.

ANYONE CAUGHT DOING THIS ACT SHOULD BE NAMED AND SHAMED.

Darm

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Pete, aint this the same kinda scuttle-butt that suggested the Russian Legion were receiving info from outta space? These kind of accusations have been levelled at teams for donkey's years. Isn't it just summat that is invented to explain inadequacies?

It must have been 8 years ago when I first heard this, on field chronoing was introduced and what did they find.... nout.

Sure you're not being dragged into a conspiracy theory here?