Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Do people here care less about the major leagues these days?

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
All of that I pretty much agree with, the younger generation won't have had the pleasure of playing against and being absolutely destroyed by the Pro teams though!!
For me there a few reasons why I lost interest, a big one was sideline coaching, I know it's integral to xball but it just took a lot of the flair out of it.
I also agree with @Dusty that there doesn't seem to be the characters about that make you watch, the arrogance of Martinez, Lasoya, Lundqvist and many others on the field, great guys off it but they just had an air about them that they knew they could do whatever it took to beat you.
Another big one for me was losing the mixed division games at the millenium, having only got to SPL level I used to love playing the one or two games at each leg against the pro teams, it made me take more of an interest, it would attract me back now as an old fart if I knew that by going to a millenium I'd get to play a couple of pro teams.
totally agree with both posts,think of the hype before events if the elite league was not locked .allowing the likes of RL, DYNASTY,HOUSTON HEAT etc etc to come and play one event at a mills ,can remember crystal palace when the russians and dynasty where playing and the atmosphere around that game was awesome

Ash - GI Sportz

GI Sportz
Jun 14, 2006
GI Towers
totally agree with both posts,think of the hype before events if the elite league was not locked .allowing the likes of RL, DYNASTY,HOUSTON HEAT etc etc to come and play one event at a mills ,can remember crystal palace when the russians and dynasty where playing and the atmosphere around that game was awesome
Having an open pro division means that the quality/standard will change from event to event, which is not good in my opinion. However this years CPL division had a great mix of teams, easily the best quality line up since 2008, so while there was no Dynasty or RL, the quality was right up there, and alot of the Dynasty and RL players were actually on other teams anyway.

Biscuit, the reason that Campaign Cup you mention had such a good atmosphere was because there were 200 odd teams there, who were all actively interested in those teams above and cared about what was going on. There have been equally gripping games this year at the Millenniums, but fewer people seem to notice or care. Which is where my question comes in again - what is different now to then?

I definitely don't like locked divisions outside of Pro, I can see a potential need for a smaller, locked, SPL division to give a clear path to pro, much like the Champions/Challengers in the PSP, but beyond that I feel its needless. It forces teams to either be in the Millennium or out, and there are good teams who are out of the Millennium purely for this reason.

But focussing a bit more on the UK aspect, is the lack of desire to play the Millenniums the underlying cause of the lack of attention UK players are paying to it? Consequently is that why the Elite UK teams don't have the same level of following that similarly placed teams in France or Germany do?

What does the Millennium need to do to be appealing again? Do the UK teams and leagues need to actively do something that the French and German teams perhaps are doing already?

Reactions: frobinson

Jan 31, 2005
unknown//dover
Visit site
I absolutely agree, the paintball we knew as a game of years gone by has transformed completely. The run throughs are all but gone because play has become so technical, as in technique based.

There are of course great players out there, and with the greatest respect we as spectators and supporters don't want to see Clint shoot his target off the break 75% of the time, we want to see Clint storm down the tape and mug that guy while taking out the snake player who is shooting infield and the centre guy who never saw it coming ;)

I never liked sideline coaching, team coaching is a different thing and you're dead right, the coaches don't get the credit they need.
im to old for that now hahaha

PBWill

Mar 18, 2013
England
Thats alot of talk i dont quite understand, so here's my veiw for you all

I really like the PSP pro division alot more than the UK pro division, becuase its covered alot more, i mean i've never seen pro's playing in the UK and watched it intently other than reffing them :/ the amazing coverage that PBA do for the PSP events, that makes me want to watch it. its alot more accsessable and just plain easier to follow than uk paintball, as its one hell of alot bigger over there. Its alot more flaired than uk paintball aswell, were all used to crappy weather, pouring it down with rain, putting your visibility down, however in PSP, its barley ever like that, you can see everything thats going on and you dont even have to be there.

Here's why i think though that alot of people are lacking sh1ts to give with over sea's paintball, becuase its kind of unrealistic. I mean you support teams that you will probably never meet, places you will never visit, layouts you will never play, whats the point? bother with something thats closer to home that you can do, instead of wishing you could do something else thats pretty damn impossable in this day and age.

May 25, 2005
Norfolk
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk

I really like the PSP pro division alot more than the UK pro division, becuase its covered alot more, i mean i've never seen pro's playing in the UK and watched it intently other than reffing them :/ the amazing coverage that PBA do for the PSP events, that makes me want to watch it. its alot more accsessable and just plain easier to follow than uk paintball, as its one hell of alot bigger over there. Its alot more flaired than uk paintball aswell, were all used to crappy weather, pouring it down with rain, putting your visibility down, however in PSP, its barley ever like that, you can see everything thats going on and you dont even have to be there.

Here's why i think though that alot of people are lacking sh1ts to give with over sea's paintball, becuase its kind of unrealistic. I mean you support teams that you will probably never meet, places you will never visit, layouts you will never play, whats the point? bother with something thats closer to home that you can do, instead of wishing you could do something else thats pretty damn impossable in this day and age.
I'll never play for liverpool but I still follow them and take an interest in their matches.

PBWill

Mar 18, 2013
England
But thats in this country, you can go to liverpool and watch a match, its close to home, and PSP really isnt if you get my meaning, its something too impossable

Ash - GI Sportz

GI Sportz
Jun 14, 2006
GI Towers

You have contradicted yourself a little there Will by saying that you are a big fan of the PSP and not the UK scene (although they are not directly comparable anyway) but then saying that people dont care about overseas and they should bother with something closer to home...

I'm not saying we all should consume every minute of live coverage that is available from those pro leagues just because. But I'm wondering why there is less general interest in that aspect within this country than in say, France or Germany?

Kevin makes a good point also:

The Millenium Series plays in the UK, and the layouts are used at all the UK tournaments. There is a UK leg, and the others are all in the EU, I don't see unfamiliarity as a problem?

The livecast is good too:

http://new.livestream.com/millenniumseries/events/1784646