Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Enforcing the rules and unsportsmanlike conduct

Myself, I've been playing for 15 years and reffing for 13. I was simply jesting with the shield bit, old dog new tricks?
The real point I was trying to make and perhaps you would be so kind as to respond is, do you think that being a player, and better yet playing in the upper end of the sport makes you a better reff?

R

raehl

Not that I'm a player at the upper end of the sport....

But I'd have to say no - at least, not in principle. Obviously being a player is better than nothing, but given the choice between someone who has been a player for a long time, and someone who has been trained to ref, I'll take the trained ref. It should be pretty obvious that training someone in the skills you're after will yield better results than just trying to use someone who has some siimilar skills.

There's all sorts of stuff you see reffing that relates to reffing that you're just not aware of as a player since there's no real reason to be aware of it.

- Chris

Not that I'm a player at the upper end of the sport....

Originally posted by raehl
But I'd have to say no - at least, not in principle. Obviously being a player is better than nothing, but given the choice between someone who has been a player for a long time, and someone who has been trained to ref, I'll take the trained ref. It should be pretty obvious that training someone in the skills you're after will yield better results than just trying to use someone who has some siimilar skills.

There's all sorts of stuff you see reffing that relates to reffing that you're just not aware of as a player since there's no real reason to be aware of it.

- Chris
If you mean some one who has played but never reffed
then I would agree, but for myself I have reffed almost as long as I have played, I play AM. I'm pretty sure there is not much I havn't seen on the field. If your assertion remains the same I
would have to say your suffering from a serious case of cranial/
rectal insertion:rolleyes:

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Yes and no

Originally posted by paintyerass
Myself, I've been playing for 15 years and reffing for 13. I was simply jesting with the shield bit, old dog new tricks?
The real point I was trying to make and perhaps you would be so kind as to respond is, do you think that being a player, and better yet playing in the upper end of the sport makes you a better reff?
First, to qualify my level. My only claim to fame is that I was a second-string player on a champion NPPL amateur team. I have reffed a lot, including several NPPLs and a couple of Millenniums.

To the point:

I do think my experience is a major contributing factor to the quality of my reffing and my competence.

But to raehl's point, the question here is, are the skills and benefits of experience transferable? And I do believe so. It is just a question of pedagogics and pooling the best from all of our experiences.

While we're at it, have a look at PROs Web site, if you haven't already.

http://www.paintballrefs.com/index.html

Cheers,

Steve

R

raehl

I cry foul!

Originally posted by Wadidiz

It is just a question of pedagogics and pooling the best from all of our experiences.

He used a word I don't know the meaning of!

Seriously though....

I think people who ref all year are going to be be better refs than people who play all year and do some reffing. It's obvious that if you put a guy who has never played paintball and a guy who has played paintball on the field, the guy who has played is going to be better, but if you put the same two guys through a good training program, the guy who hadn't played before will be every bit as good of a ref, if not better.

Conversely, I've seen people with lots of playing experience who make crappy refs. Playing experience is just one factor, and I'd argue a small one.

- Chris

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
I cry foul!

He used a word I don't know the meaning of!

Conversely, I've seen people with lots of playing experience who make crappy refs. Playing experience is just one factor, and I'd argue a small one.

- Chris
Pedagogics - (certainly not to be confused with pedophilia!) the science or art of teaching or education

I think I agree with you. I would much rather have a well-trained (by a good pedagogue like myself) non-experienced ref than a very experienced ref who thinks she/he knows the rules and hasn't been properly trained. There are other factors, however. In other words individual dynamics should be considered like in every job.

Steve

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
What's the concensus so far?

Should Millennium and/or NPPL go with the 3-strikes-you're-out rule or go with Goose's suggestion about making playing on an instant penalty during the games a lá 3-4-1?

Assuming, like I do, that something needs to be done.

If we go for harsher penalties for playing on then somehow the continue-to-shoot-during-a- significant-advance must be separated from getting caught with a hit on your back while sitting in your bunker. How is this going to work out in reality?

Of course, the same thing is true for my suggestion. 3 playing on penalties of any kind would result in getting pulled from the tourney. Do we need to institute different levels of playing on?

Steve

I cry foul!

I think people who ref all year are going to be be better refs than people who play all year and do some reffing. It's obvious that if you put a guy who has never played paintball and a guy who has played paintball on the field, the guy who has played is going to be better, but if you put the same two guys through a good training program, the guy who hadn't played before will be every bit as good of a ref, if not better.

- Chris
Perhaps I was being obtuse, The difference as I see it would be
the person who has never played may know the rules verbatim
but be reluctant to jump into a firefight. If the player he is checking has not been called neutral that player is fair game,
say this player is the last on his team and is out numbered,
th e other team is going to try and tag him as hard as they can.
Now does our PRO reff eyeball him from the sidelines and avoid getting lit up as well, does he jump in call neutral and cover the player with his shield or does he cover his own ass with said shield and try to make the best call he can.:confused: