Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Freak kit worth the expense?

NoobCannon

Aug 19, 2014
Hi all,

As above really is a freak kit worth the expense for an occasional (once per month) player?

Just looking and seems to be around the £150 mark.

Marker is a mini gs

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Sorry rushed my last post, the main reason to get a freak kit is to prevent balls rolling out of the barrel on closed bolt markers, this isn't a problem on open bolt markers like the mini since the detents hold the ball until you fire.

There are two other reasons that people buy freaks, the first is to increase accuracy, which is debatable since there's not any real quantative proof that they do significantly. The other is for an increase in efficiency which you do get but not enough to justify the expense.

Saving the money to spend on the best paint you can buy is a much better way to increase accuracy.

Reactions: NoobCannon

NoobCannon

Aug 19, 2014
Sorry rushed my last post, the main reason to get a freak kit is to prevent balls rolling out of the barrel on closed bolt markers, this isn't a problem on open bolt markers like the mini since the detents hold the ball until you fire.

There are two other reasons that people buy freaks, the first is to increase accuracy, which is debatable since there's not any real quantative proof that they do significantly. The other is for an increase in efficiency which you do get but not enough to justify the expense.

Saving the money to spend on the best paint you can buy is a much better way to increase accuracy.
Fantastic detailed answer. Thank you very much

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Same here - the stock barrel on a mini is actually pretty good, kits are not worth the effort IMHO

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Stick to what you have and play
If you feel you have a problem with a setup, adjust and consider changing that element

I like the freak system, and it also allows you to change to guns with different threads easily later
But it would turn you into an obsessive about the right barrel bore / paint match
There are positive things to be said for all of a close match, over bore or under bore

Just play, and as long as you can shoot the paint you carry at the targets that come your way then all is good

Save barrels and barrel kits for a later date in this obsessive hobby

Saffa_style

Mar 30, 2012
The best thing to do is spend all your cash on DYE UL backs, then use the same one every time and leave the others in your bag - just in case the paint suddenly changed size mid game

It makes me sad to think I could have bought three dockside whores and a midget for what I spent on those backs ,but hey those dye ul's sure look good in my marker case

But hookers and midgets aside for now, having used a freak kit and the dye UL "kits" id say the freak is ok but I personally prefer the dye UL barrels for quality accuracy and sound level.

if your heart is still set on getting some kind of barrel kit that you do the whole paint/bore match thing then go for dye and only get 1 or 2 backs to start with because having to fork out the cash for a full 8 inserts kit is slightly pointless unless you're using radically different sized paints frequently enough to justify the expenditure

Personally I've only ever used paint that at most is one up or down from average and then only rarely.

The good thing about the dye kit is that you can start small but if you choose to do what I did, you can easily go full retard and spend all your cash building up a magnificent multi back barrel kit.

The downside of buying dye as new is that for £150 ish you would only get two back and a front whereas with the freak you could get the whole deal with the full range of inserts

It's your money at the end of the day and if you want to be a kit pest then go for it, if you're looking for significant and noticeable performance improvements then you're probably best off keeping your money

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Its not worth buying a barrel kit for the purpose of being able to put it on a different gun, and certainly not worth buying barrels to change sound signatures.
The real reason for buying a barrel kit for the purpose of improving consistency which in turn does in fact increase accuracy. Choosing a barrel that is slightly larger or smaller than the actual paintball bore will give a smaller range of FPS, which over distance will help improve the accuracy of your shots.

Is it worth buying? Well on the tournament field where you'll be pretty much shooting a stream of balls rather than 1 ball at a time, and over a relatively short distance then you're rarely going to get the benefits you're looking for. Maybe out in the woods when you are trying to line up a shot, if you fire 1 ball to judge the distance, if you adjust and the velocity is consistent you should be dead on, whereas if the velocity was way off from the 1st shot, it would be much more difficult to line up a 2nd.