The Home Of European Paintball

Has the Cocker now been eclipsed..?

Chuck

Northern by a mile
Aug 4, 2003
Essex
www.paintballextreme.co.uk
Originally posted by Tom Allen
I was chatting with a few walk-on players last Sunday, and one topic of conversation was cockers.

I'm not a big fan of the cocker, but it's stood the test of time as a high level marker.

As a new marker would anyone consider purchasing a cocker, or do you feel it's had it's day and should be consigned to the paintball hall of fame..?

Have paintball markers evolved to a level that the cocker can no longer compete at the high level it's used too..?
Your original question.

Your own answer to that Question!
"The basic cocker design has survived for many years, and has developed over the last few years to be a marker to be reckoned with. But be honest with yourselves, the front mounted internals, the ram transfering it's motion to the bolt at the rear, it can be made better."

Yes there is still room for the Cocker to evolve (as with all markers), said in your own words Tom. So what was your reason for asking the question in the 1st place?

Just because the Cocker wears its parts on the outside, don't say its a bad design or unatractive. An example of this is a Lady boy, parts on the outside but still fully functional and to some, quite desirable.

Chuck

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
So Chuck "lady boys" are your thing, quite desireable you say...;)

My question was, has the cocker seen better days, and can it be updated to keep up with current top level markers, and most of all, is it worth it.

Chuck

Northern by a mile
Aug 4, 2003
Essex
www.paintballextreme.co.uk
Originally posted by Tom Allen
So Chuck "lady boys" are your thing, quite desireable you say...;)

My question was, has the cocker seen better days, and can it be updated to keep up with current top level markers, and most of all, is it worth it.
I wouldn't say no, but like my choice of Cocker it would have to be a "high

end" one, not just some ropey tranny;)

Update a classic, always worth it. I think I'm changing my BMW M3 analogy to that of GT40.

Chuck

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Style wise, the cocker has a lot going for it with all that crap on the outside. From street rods to choppers, lots of vehicles profit from visible external mechanical processes. In fact, if you were to get to what people like aesthetically about cockers, I bet that smacking back block would be high on the list. All the crazy looking tobes and bits up front wouldn't be far behind.

Sure, it is impractical to clean (even harder to clean while a game is going on around you;)). Still, I think especially to transitional players (that is players just getting into competition after having been committed rec players), cockers have plenty of relevancy. These are the same players who see wiping as a moral issue primarily, who are open minded generally about what equipment is competitive, and who are skeptical about the fashion that sweeps through paintball any given year. For many of them, the long term popularity of cockers is reassuring, the enormous field of aftermarket options is a plus, the obvious working system is reassuring, and the cost (especially used) of most cockers is helpful.

I don't find it surprising that no pros team will shoot cockers next year, but I don't expect them to go away, either.