Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Has XSV changed the face of tournament Paintball forever?

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
Mario said:
(i actually love F1. im a geek.)
Never has a truer word been said in jest.

Mario's points are very valid tho. Red bull has been expanding it's brand image/core buying group for a while now. I just wonder where they will go from F1?

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Maybe we understand the word "cool" differently.... but a team named after you brand, and a car painted with your logo, going 200 mph IS cool in most places.

The F1 crowd is most definitely NOT cool - but that is actually exactly my point... Red Bull is not in F1 to sell to the F1 crown - they are in F1 because they get a hell of a lot of brand recognition, world wide, with something that is potent/fast/strong/whatever.

Untapped market? - I have to disagree - but ok - as none of us work in the Red Bull marketing department, neither can prove his point.

Anyway - that is all besides the point of this debate, because F1 is a wastly different animal to paintball - and the topic was why paintball manufacturers should - or should not - own teams :)

Nick

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
Nick Brockdorff said:
Maybe we understand the word "cool" differently.... but a team named after you brand, and a car painted with your logo, going 200 mph IS cool in most places.
There's a valid point. The vast majority of F1 fans (not saying your one of them) are 30+ males. That's their definition of cool. Not a 15/20 year old's version. Real extreme sports start their marketing early. My dad get's his mates round to watch F1 and he has done for years. In all that time ive never seen him drink a redbull. I believe Redbull bought the jaguar spot. In the past year ive started to see him drink redbull's. Because of the way it's been marketed to me and himself, he likes to think he's hip and cool. He's not, but i humour him.

Nick Brockdorff said:
The F1 crown is most definitely NOT cool - but that is actually exactly my point... Red Bull is not in F1 to sell to the F1 crown - they are in F1 because they get a hell of a lot of brand recognition, world wide, with something that is potent/fast/strong/whatever.

Untapped market? - I have to disagree - but ok - as none of us work in the Red Bull marketing department, neither can prove his point.
I agree with your first point, the brand recognition bit, but do believe it is an untapped market. Most men who are 30+ drink beer, have a gut and aren't as active as they should be. Just having a drink of redbull makes them feel healthier and more active because of the brand association. Hardcore guys jump out of planes, skate etc and they drink this stuff. So it must be making them more active mustn't it? :rolleyes: And now that they're in F1 they feel more comfortable drinking it.

Nick Brockdorff said:
Anyway - that is all besides the point of this debate, because F1 is a wastly different animal to paintball - and the topic was why paintball manufacturers should - or should not - own teams :)

Nick
Paintball is still nowhere near big enough for anyone to care about who owns teams. At the moment there are more pressing things such as unification, gun cheats etc to attend to.

I believe it should be their right to own a team when the time comes as a side note because of the amounts of money they pour into these teams which in reality they dont recoup.

p.s. im in marketing and design nick :)

D

duffistuta

Nick Brockdorff said:
And no then - a company like Red Bull, being involved with paintball, would not be about selling more to the paintball community - same goes for Bawls, Coca-Cola - or whatever.

It is pure branding - and as such does not pertain to the whole "manufacturers should not own teams thing".

Red Bull does not own two Formula 1 teams, because they hope to sell more to people driving cars - it's about being associated with something considered cool, and thereby lending "cool factor" to your brand.

For a paintball manufacturer, the case is entirely different. - By far most of your marketing activities relate directely to your sales in the sport - and for that reason, owning a team includes too great a risk, and the upside is very little..... much better to disassociate yourself with descisions made by teams, that can potentially harm your brand, by "just" being a sponsor.

If a player on a team owned by Smart Parts is caught using a gun cheat (for instance), the fallout and decline in sales will be much more severe, than if the team was merely sponsored.

Nick
As someone who has worked on a major project with Red Bull involved in them opening up a new market, I can tell you that it is not all about branding for them. Yes, they are incredibly brand concious and very, very smart at how they manipulate their brand in various markets, but the F1 deal will absolutely have factored into it sales to car drivers, as that is one of Red Bull's major markets - tired drivers purchasing at service stations. The F1 decision will have been a joint brand awareness/direct-sales-to-a-target-market decision.

Also, I disagee with your last point - I think the average 14-year old baller doesn't know Dye owns the Ironmen or Smart Parts owns Philly, and furthermore doesn't care, and furthermore would not give a **** if a player was caught with a gun cheat, and even if they did they would not make a mental link back to the owner because of an individual infraction.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
duffistuta said:
Also, I disagee with your last point - I think the average 14-year old baller doesn't know Dye owns the Ironmen or Smart Parts owns Philly, and furthermore doesn't care, and furthermore would not give a **** if a player was caught with a gun cheat, and even if they did they would not make a mental link back to the owner because of an individual infraction.
But I think would very much make a link to the gun sponsor, whether they own the team or not.

JAYDB

www.northernquarterpb.com
Dec 9, 2005
manchester,
Two NPPLs and an NXL win for the team that defines chequebook Paintball...can anyone compete with Mr Franchise? Has Telford redefined what it takes to build a winning team? Are the days of organic teams like tha Ironkids coming together over? Now XSV is paying players, giving signing on fees and winning, why would anyone play for anyone else? And, rather than criticizing him, shouldn't players be falling on their knees and thanking him for running a team like it should be run? Or not.
yeh who would want to leave xsv??? :confused: