Help from french people needed...

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maestro, welcome back

Originally posted by Hotpoint
Assumed you were following Wadditz line and meant American hyphen English not American comma English but if I was wrong then I've got to say you'd be showing more respect not calling what you speak English :D

And for the record I'd rather be annoying the French :D
You send the kids to school and whadda they do? They eat the books. After all that proof I gave you, you still insist on hanging up on the English-sminglish thing. When someone on the streets of Stockholm asks me, "Do you speak English?", what am I gonna answer him, "No, actually I speak a southern dialect of what some people may refer to as American English, although some very sensitive and picky types of Great Britain are offended at the calling of my native language "English", therefore I would have to, in the interest of linguistic purity and deference to those who want to hold to some nostalgic semblence of imperialism, say no."
I think you see the illogic of that. Or you probably don't based on your past record shown here.

Hyphens: if I used any hyphens myself I would have to attribute that to a much too long period of detoxicity. (That reminds me of another ridiculous Britishism: "...alchohol and other stimulants..". Since when has cannabis, barbituates, morphine, heroine, alchohol, etc. been stimulants? They're downers dude. Intoxicants. Saw that somewhere else on these boards.) Anyway, It is not American-English when referred to in linguistic contexts, it's American English. Similar to the common mistake you Brits make calling African Americans Afro-Americans. Afro-Americans is so 20th century, from ca 1967.

So, get over it Hotpoint. We speak English, dude. Just like the Canadians, Australians, some South Africans, New Zealanders and Irish. Then there is "Majority English", the new English spoken by the 100s of millions of people around the world who use English as an official language or just to do business. Those users outnumber all the native-speakers of English combined.

There, told you!:D

Now, let's hear some Frenchies cry about how theirs used to be a world language and get somewhat back on topic.:p

Fab81

Aug 5, 2001
Antibes, France
Visit site
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maestro, welcome back

Originally posted by Wadidiz

Now, let's hear some Frenchies cry about how theirs used to be a world language and get somewhat back on topic.:p

Yes, French is not talked as much as english nowadays, but its still talked in canada, in switzerland, in many parts of africa, in many isles...And French is still the official language of the olympics games :p.
And English is not the most talked language too, soon we will have to talk chinese :).

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maestro, welcome back

Originally posted by Fab81
Yes, French is not talked as much as english nowadays, but its still talked in canada, in switzerland, in many parts of africa, in many isles...And French is still the official language of the olympics games :p.
And English is not the most talked language too, soon we will have to talk chinese :).
Good to get some French discussion going again.:) Actually a very good point about Chinese. Demographers also say that Spanish will become the most widely spoken language in the United States by 2025. Some day English will have to join the club with French, Greek, Latin, Persian among others as past "world languages".

Steve

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maestro, welcome back

Originally posted by Wadidiz
Good to get some French discussion going again.:) Actually a very good point about Chinese. Demographers also say that Spanish will become the most widely spoken language in the United States by 2025. Some day English will have to join the club with French, Greek, Latin, Persian among others as past "world languages".
Given that on current trends the Chinese population is due, by the mid to late 21st Century, to be eclipsed by that of India (where English is very widely spoken thanks to the legacy of a certain colonial power) predictions of the demise of the language may be exaggerated ;)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maestro, welcome back

Given that on current trends the Chinese population is due, by the mid to late 21st Century, to be eclipsed by that of India (where English is very widely spoken thanks to the legacy of a certain colonial power) predictions of the demise of the language may be exaggerated ;)

That's always been my problem, Chinese or Indian ?

Tikka massala or ribs ?
One of life's true conundrums !!!!
Robbo

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Maestro, welcome back

1 - I blame the author :p

2 - I'm not claiming we're clean just that you're not either ;)

3 - Assumed you were following Wadditz line and meant American hyphen English not American comma English but if I was wrong then I've got to say you'd be showing more respect not calling what you speak English :D

(4) And for the record I'd rather be annoying the French :D
1--no doubt you also chuck the bicycle every time you fall off. (or toss the marker when you're eliminated)
2--nothing to do with the original point of what constitutes "civilization" and how, to the modern sensibility at least, Pax Britainia, is hypocrisy of the highest order. American foibles are already routinely excoriated. just ask Teej.
3--there you go again. :p
4--Who wouldn't? :D