Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How important is communication during a game

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
You are missing the point by quite some mark.

Consider the extremes.

If you can pick 7 players that can only do one thing on the field what would it be:

Shoot
Stay tight
Move
Communicate

What would you pick?

Would 7 shooters win, yes, they are the only ones who can actually get the other guys out.

Maybe the moving team could move so well as to avoid paint but realistically they couldn't survive a game

And staying tight is good as you'd last longer, but you'll never win as (in this scenario) you have no way of getting the other guys out.

So would you pick 7 guys who just shout at each other? nope you wouldn't, how would they win or even acheive anything? they would get shot out of their bunkers, they couldn't even move to gain field position

Right, now run the same scenario and every player can do 2 things (and they all have to do the same 2 things).

The strongest teams would be Shooting and moving or shooting and staying tight depending on whether you are playing aggressive or defensive.

Shooting and shouting might work but to what end??? if you aren't moving (to win the game) or you don't stay tight (to not lose the game) what are you actually achieving? Then if you just communicate and either move or stay tight then how are you going to win the game.

So you've just proved that communication isn't AS important as the other things.

I completely agree communication is important when you have players who can do 3 or more things at once (and the top teams do exactly that), but if they aren't any good at shooting, moving and staying tight then what is it actually giving your game?

And most importantly they have to be good at doing everything at once, and not stopping shooting to shout at their front guy or stopping looking for the move when they get a bit of heat.

A good paintball team is made up of various players that can perform a number of tasks well, not a bunch of muppets who can shout.

Meyer

Most people here aren't questioning that shooting, moving, playing tight are important, much like form, speed, and strength are important in other professional sports, but you get to a level at which most players on any given team are at about the same skill level, where players need to be able to communicate to tip the scales in their favor. If 2 teams of 5 equivalant players faced off, the wins would be split fairly evenly, but once one team starts communicating, one team has 5 decent players that are able to draw on a little support when they need it to avoid being eliminated.

Of course, its really not fair to limit the scenario to players that are incapable of communicating at all, or of moving, shooting, etc. The truth is that all players have at least some ability in each of these areas, some are better shooters, and some are better talkers, and when the players that talk well are able to raise their other skills to a decent level, they will decimate players that focus on individual skills.

Deep down, humans are social animals, we like to communicate, and as a result, we develop group skills that enhance our individual skills, thats all communication in paintball is, an enhancment of the players individual skills by the player borrowing the abilities of another (others) for a few moments.

SCRUB

Dec 15, 2002
southern california
Visit site
The way that i see it is that communication is another skill that can help your team get people out or make better moves. Its not the all important skill in paintballing but its one more thing that you can use to help you win. So why not just bring one more skill to the field that you can use to win.

If two teams went against eachother and were both completly equal in skills wouldnt the team with better communication win?

The best part is you dont have to drop loads of cash to work on your communicating skills. although im sure if you wanted to you could.
:D :D :D

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Originally posted by SCRUB

If two teams went against eachother and were both completly equal in skills wouldnt the team with better communication win?
Indeed, but as Communication is a skill, then by definition they aren't completely equal :)

I agree communication has it's place, I'm just trying to show why I think it isnt AS important as the other things.

Simon Malone

Nov 30, 2001
Hook, Hants
www.nspl.co.uk
Originally posted by Beaker
Indeed, but as Communication is a skill, then by definition they aren't completely equal :)

I agree communication has it's place, I'm just trying to show why I think it isnt AS important as the other things.
Well said Beaker, smarter than the average bear;)