The Home Of European Paintball

Illegal or not

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
smudge1989 said:
  • We have established that full auto is illegal, and a marker is classed as a firearm (not definate but lets jus say it is)
  • We need to establish the rules on ramping and 3-shot burst
Where have we established that? No disrespect to TheOzMeister but it was his opinion again (or as he says, some judges opinions). Im sure he really does know what he's talking about, but how on earth can you make a claim like that? Lets see it in writing, something from the firearms act and then someone who knows how to interpret it rather than Joe Bloggs interpreting it anywhich way.
Doesnt that make sense?

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
John C said:
Yes there have been many threads on this which have only served to prove that there is a massive grey area in UK firearms law, that we are right in the middle of.
Is John C perhaps correct in stating that we are in the middle of a grey area, and that indeed there are no laws specific to paintball, or even close to paintball. And that in this manner we could say any firing mode is legal, but could so very easily be illegal and lead to a lawsuit or something similar.

smudge1989

Smudge - Destiny
Apr 1, 2006
Winterton
pbdealers.tripod.com
The Firearms Act places paintball markers in the Air Weapons section. Air weapons do not need a licence if they fall within the following criteria, outside this criteria a licence is required. (This is a brief summary of the main points)
For a paintball marker to be classed as an "Air Weapon" and therefore not require a licence it must not be fired above 12 ft/lbs for a “rifle” type and 6 ft/lbs for a “pistol” type. Nearly all paintball markers come under the “rifle” type, only markers like the “splatmaster” come into the “pistol” category. If a marker fires above these limits they will then come under the Firearms Act and require a licence or be classed as a prohibited weapon. The recent amendment included carbon dioxide as an approved propellant previously only compressed air was allowed. Paintball markers must also only fire approved paintballs. Paintball markers must not be fully automatic i.e. when pulling the trigger once, two or more paintballs must not be discharged.
To stay within the law a paintball marker must not be fired above 330fps when using an average weight paintball, this equates to 12 ft/lbs. All tournament markers are restricted to a maximum velocity of 300fps, which equates to 9.9ft/lbs and site markers should be used at between 250-280fps to be safe for customers. This equates to 7ft/lbs-8.7ft/lbs.
To check your marker velocities use a chronograph.

The Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 has made a number of changes that affect firearms legislation. There are three main areas which are mended:
(1) Possession of firearms in a public place
(2) Air weapons age limits
(3) Prohibition of certain air weapons
(1) Possession of firearms in a public place
The Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 Sec 37 amends Section 19 of The Firearms Act 1968, which deals with possessing certain firearms in a public place. This section now reads as follows….
A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
(1) a loaded shotgun
(b) an air weapon (whether loaded or not)
(c) any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or
(d) an imitation firearm.
The above is effective from 20 th January 2004.

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
Nice one man. I presume that bit is copied word-for-word yeah?

Good find!!!

Now its down to how people interpret that "Paintball markers must not be fully automatic i.e. when pulling the trigger once, two or more paintballs must not be discharged. "....

Interpret or ignore I mean... Strictly speaking I guess we're lucky there hasnt been an incident yet.

smudge1989

Smudge - Destiny
Apr 1, 2006
Winterton
pbdealers.tripod.com
Yeah word for word, well ramping kinda falls into that bracket but to be honest i reckon we shud jus class fully auto and 3 shot burst as illegal and leave ramping as it is, its a good feature n i dont wanna be the person to highlight the fact that it might be illegal.

TheGurkha

WeSellCookers
Mar 15, 2006
BIRMINGSPAM
www.facebook.com
I went to the Star wars big game two years ago, and i was chatting to a few guys from Armoteck (now Ariacon, or something like that), and they said they had opened a site, somewher up north, where they rent fully auto, and 3 shot burst markers out, as upgrade site guns, at the time, i was under the impression that fully auto etc was illigal, so i quizzed him, he told me the 'fact' that to insure a site with fully auto markers is almost Quadruple the price as to insure it for single shot. I dont know if he was shi**in me, but it seemed gunuine... my question is; why are fully auto sernario markers, that can probably do a max of 14 bps, any worse than a tournie, or electro marker that can ramp out 15bps?

-Gurkha-