Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Impressions of Dartford

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
First up, i want to say good job to Kirean for running this event, and to Dave for setting up this site in the first place.
The Dartford 7s fill a gap left by the M25 league, and the old Temple site, i really want to say well done guys. You diserve top marks for simply going out there and running a much needed event.

I'd like to start a thread to offer constructive critisim, things that would help you improve on your event even more!

First things first, there were some really nice touches that i'd like to point out.

Staging: Superb job of setting up the staging, nice and close to the fields, and lots of space for kit. Only having to go a few yards to get to the field was really good.

Dead Boxes, Really nice touch too, good work.
Chrono Stations, again well set up, and nice to have a chrono range that can accomodate more than 5 people.

Parking, nice and close to the staging area, room for everyone!
Food, nice to see an alternative to burgers, and fresh fruit... wow!

High Netting; we were still getting balls bouncing into the staging area, but the netting seemed to be secure, and very high, so i'm not sure if they were bouncing over or comming thru a gap, but the netting looked very good, properly pegged down, and fairly safe.

Check in, went very smooth, no problems there. Nice to have Liz in the admin tent, she does a great job!

Hpac, quality, not much else to say!

So what can be improved on?
Field Layout: i'm not sure what the field dimentions are, but they looked a bit square to me. Millennium Series (and NPPL) fields are strictly 30 meters by 55 meters as of 2004.
Ok, so the perminant netting means that you can't change this, so you need to be very careful about how you set up the field.

Please, Please, Please, put a snake on the field. There isn't a single field in the Millennium Series that dosn't have one. There were clearly enough bunkers for a snake on all three fields, please use them to build a snake, instead of some useless bunker complex that no one bothers to play.

If you need some ideas i have a complete listing of all the Millennium field from this year, and i've also put some fields on my web page
mojo paintball nppl fields page

The severe field, what a piece of junk. Some of the bunkers were deflating between games. I've got a field you can use Jiggy, you have my number...

I'd also consider the judging to be a serious problem. Here's why:
This season in the Millennium series the judging has taken a big step up. I fear for british teams who come to Campaign Cup or travel to Toullouse and think they are going to get away with some of the stuff they got away with this weekend.
But that aside, the judging was adiquite at best, and appaling on the Draxxus field. I understand from talking to Ralph that a game even had to be replayed on that field due to Judging errors!
I think this has been suggested before, pay for some proper judges. I'd gladly give up any prizes to use that to bribe proper judges. I'd even pay more money if i knew it ment i was getting proper judges.
Having said that, there's no way i'd judge a tournament for £50 a day. The going rate for Millennium series is £100. You're never going to get proper judges if you pay them peanuts.
Judging is a serious issue, it needs to be delt with.

But then maybe we're just upset because we had to work very hard to learn to play to millennium series rules this season, and we've been penalised for it... now we come play our first event in england, and it's not much better than a game of rec-ball for judging during some games.

To be fair, there were some good judges on some of the fields, and they diserve to be credited with trying their hardest.

Playing Surface, it looks like the grass is pretty worn out in some places, i don't know if there's much you can do about it. Eventually all the grass will be gone, and i assume you'll have to shift the fields or something.

Anyhow, thanks for putting on the event, we look forward to playing the next one.

I'd encourage anyone else who has any positive feedback or constructive critisim to post it on this thread, hopefully a few changes can be made and Dartford 7s can establish it's self as the premiere 7 man league in the UK.

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
we enjoyed playing this event, we were pleased with it.

I do not think they offer a series prize, it's really hard to get sponsors to donate prizes for these events.

Tom Tom

Damn you ALL
Jul 27, 2001
Waterlooville
www.thinkingfortuesday.com
On the Marshalling side of things,

I will apologise for all my mistakes of the day.
It was my first tournament that I marshalled (as was for Joe with me on field 2 (severe) and the other guys had a few tourneys under there belt)

I know people will say it was your first tourney, It showed. I am sure it did but it opened my eyes to the other side of things. How many players have hand on there hearts marshalled a tourney?
I had a few years of site marshalling (not the same by a long shot i know).

When you have no marshalls for the tourney as was the case up till the day. Its people like myself who dont mind stepping and just doing it otherwise the teams would not get to play.

I know the argument I will be slated for here, Yea but if you aint good enough dont bother doing it.

How am I meant to gain experience with out just getting in there.

With our field (severe) it was a tough job because we had to try to keep up with the other fields but as Colin said we had to blow up half the bunkers after every game.

You would do one bunker and then the other 3 or 4 bunkers people asked you to do, you think you are done and the team would be like,

Marshall I asked you to do that one.....

I did. Its just gone down again,

This meant we did not get to wipe half the bunkers down as well as you as a player would like which then make it hard for you to try to tell a guy its not a hit, its from the bunker. I had a guy from WolfPac covered in orange paint because he played tight and just got orange on his left side. I watched closely and when he got hit he weant but it was hard to tell the other team he was clean really.

I believe each team who plays a tourney regularly should miss one leg to marshall and then people like myself who turn up to help with numbers just strengthen a field with a team already on it. So you start with 7 and just get 4/5 others making it a better run field.

I am truly sorry for any mistakes I made be it bad calls or just too indisisive (sp?) when I should be stronger. This is experience. When you play you arent a pro the first time you do, but you get that by training and getting tourney experience.

I feel its the same with marshalling.

I would like to Thank all the teams for there patience and thanks to Colin for cathcing the guy with goggles.

Its tough work and I appreciate more now what Cr@p marshalls put up with.

My girlfriend asked me when I got in, what other sport do the judges take more punishment than the players?

I have bruises on bruises which is fine, it goes with the job but I have ones that I never have when I play.

I am glad people did have a good time and for the final time I am sorry for those who feel like they were cheated on field 2 for whatever reason.

But until we can get more people to marshall than play every event you wont get teams marshalling you will get the odd guy who needs the cash, team cant play that event or a friend of the organisor.

Please constructive critism is good, I want to learn to be better, but dont just say ohh yea you were *&^% because you called me out when that was no way a hit, (I know thats not what Colin is saying so this is not a direct reply to him but just in general)

These things happen but without experience I wont know what to change.

D7's

Home to Notorious Kids
Aug 15, 2002
www.d7s.co.uk
Thank you for your constructive criticism although I don't think the grass length comes under this catagory. We, of course are aware of the problems with marshals some worst than others we are working on ways to over come this but it is never going to be perfect. The size of the fields are in line with PA Rule Book. The Severe field was sponsored and had we had known before hand that it was going to keep deflating, would not have accepted it. The netting was supplied by Campaign and is used to its full length. This is not a Millenium event, this is the first Dartford 7's tournament run by Dave with Keiron and Liz doing a brilliant job with the divisions and registration area, things can only improve.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Here's some constructive criticism:

Keep up the good work!!!

The Southern tournament scene needs some stability, hopefully the D7s is the start of this. From this stability hopefully a cadre of experienced marshals will emerge. Props to the marshals who were out there on Sunday, OK so there was some inexperience and in fairness in some instances it did show, however the Marshalling was impartial and whilst people may sometimes feel robbed it's a two way street (sometimes you gain from this other times you don't). As Tom Tom says all Marshals have to start somewhere and "if" there were a couple who may have needed a kick up the backside, by far the majority tried hard, were courteous (believe me it's a two way street), and responded to player requests (esp those on Field 2 with the "ummm more air in that one, that one, that one, and that one").

At a guess the D7s is the hardest UK series to marshal. It probably has proportionally the highest skill base / concentration of Millennium or genuine AmB and above players in it. These players know the rules better, certainly play more aggressively (it was by far the most aggressive UK tournament I've seem to date), and from what I witnessed yesterday allot were pushing the rules as hard as possible. I wouldn't have marshalled it, and I thank those that did do deserve a bit of appreciation. I'd love to have Millennium Quality Marshalling in the UK, and I think given time the D7s may well produce some if it's giving a chance to build on it's firm base.

I agree with the sentiments thus far, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and the players weren't promised it either. I can only add that after Sundays positive experience, a few more players are certainly looking to get some Domestic game in.......

;)

Broken Arrow

LONDON IMPACT
Jan 4, 2004
KENT
****ing hell moan moan moan if u havent got the d7s what else have we got down in the south . i will tell u what we got **** all stop your moaning just deal with it we do

Tom Tom

Damn you ALL
Jul 27, 2001
Waterlooville
www.thinkingfortuesday.com
Stongle thank you for you kind words.

I thought once I started marshalling maybe I should not use my goggles with my name on but this is too late.

Field 2 was fun......:rolleyes:

Thanks to all the teams and it really is the 2 way street issue. One minute its a good call the next .........

LJ is right no one has moaned but on the day you feel like you are about to be hung, drawn and quarterd.