Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is .68 cal on the way out?

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
I think the test would not to be a bit less subjective and more scientific than that. I mean, you could just give the .50 cal to Ironmen and the .68 to Portsmouth Uni or someone.

.50 cal will eventually dominate. It's got a cooler name, well until they come up with a paint called "20 mike mike".

burnzy1989

its time to make a solid stream line of paint
Jul 7, 2008
Shropshire
Wouldnt you have less accuracy with a .50 paintball in slightly windy conditions and it would hurt alot more i would of thought it bei8ng smaller ?

ses_paintball

Jan 13, 2009
Basildon Essex
I think that .50 cal will be the choice for new sites; if the set up i available. Why wouldn't they pick it? They will get superior efficiecy, paint is supposedly marginaly cheaper. Along with the whole range and accuracy deal. About hurting people at world cup we invited to use the .50 markers and theyve said they hurt less than a .68 and break just as easy.

Big companies are obviously looking into .50 cal

Smart Parts Impulse has a.50 version
Gi milslim have a range of markers
Spyder have a new .50 range
Ego release a conversion kit
Dye supposedly have a rotor coversion kit in the pipe line

I feel big companies are doing there best to do whats good for paintball which potentialy could be .50 cal but also covering their arses by bringing out conversion kits rather than new markers straight away.

Personaly im all for the idea of .50 cal and the benifits seem to be very appetising to me.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com

Vegard

Dec 5, 2002
Norway
Visit site
One minor problem I see is that it is allready hard enough to justify spending $800+ on a marker. And now there might be a shift towards a smaller caliber.

In a worst case scenario, companies will take a hit in their sales because they've sent a portion of their consumers to sit on the fence and wait out to see which caliber will reign supreme. The caliber that wins out will make all other markers close to worthless in the used market as demand dwindles down. (the latter is obviously not something most companies care about)

I'll never buy anything .50 unless it's a Desert Eagle.

I'm perfectly happy with my sport as it is.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Pump to semi, same old arguments.
Semi to electro, same old arguments.
Electro semi to ramp, same old arguments.

Paintballers don't like change, simple. No wonder the sport is in the state it is in.

Primadonna pro's and lack of foreward thinking on the part of the player.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Primadonna pro's and lack of foreward thinking on the part of the player.
Pro player??????
I defy anyone to name a professional UK paintballer ..... there ain't one, not even close.

The mantle of 'professional' is self-administered to give some degree of detachment from the masses ... after all, wouldn't wanna be associated with them semi-pro or guys who just like to compete now would we???

I mean, professional, it certainly sounds fantastic, it also sounds grandiose and important ......but the truth of the matter?
Lololololololololol ...........................

When I played, we had 20 or so called pro teams, the difference being, we knew in our hearts it was a glaring misnomer with the reality so detached from the designation, it was laughable ....

The irony is, it's all so serious now which makes the delusion even more absurd.

Maybe the reduction in pro teams we have over here is nature's way of thinning out the herd, or in this case, thinning out the deluded.

Dusty

May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
I normally put the word "pro" like so, on this occasion I did forget, however the primadonna precursor should make my opinion of them fairly clear.

Way I see it, when these guys hit 35 years of age, they'll realise they were never more than heavily subsidised hobbyists.

Sad thing is, these are the very same people who will probably determine the use of .50 cal, also known as the most significant step in paintball technology for years, in tournament paintball. If these "pros" take it up, everyone will be asking in 2 years time why it was never done before, if they don't the same people will be gloating about how they knew all along it would be a disaster.

Judging these players by their behaviour on the field would you really want them determining the future of our sport? Or the guys who play for fun and because they enjoy it on the scenario scene, or division 4 of their local tourney series. Let the common man make his own choice I say.....

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Nexus are without doubt, our dominant team, and rightly so, they have some of our best players with the likes of Tommy P, Jason Wheeler, Dunny and Leigh; And I think within that group of 4, they are not the archetypal pro player in that they have lost sight of who they actually are, and are not extremely grateful for any support they might get.

I don't know Jason well but I know the other 3 extremely well and those guys were always humble and prepared to help other players and as such, I would certainly hold these guys up for our younger players to aspire to ... I have the utmost respect for what they could do on the field, and as importantly, off.
The irony is, they are all, model pro players.

And from what little I know of Jason Wheeler, I would with no hesitation, put him in with this other three ... he is of the same ilk of person / player.

When I look across the UK scene at the moment, I can only see one deserving pro team, and that is Nexus.
Dave Younbgblood has invested much into this team and it's a shrewd and also, justified investment because Nexus are without doubt, one of the best teams in Europe, and Europe is a huge market now in relation to the Stateside market.

Years ago, European sales were but a fraction of the US's, but now ... things have drastically changed, tilting the balance of dollar-power significantly toward us Euros.

I'd love to see some of the Nexus players go real pro ... because?
well, I think true talent and loyalty deserve reward .. and those guys already mentioned are thoroughly deserving, that's for sure.

Clint Moore once told me on the phone, he was captain of the best team the UK has ever had which kinda made me wince a little because I had always believed that it wasn't what anybody on the team thought that defined a team, it was the teams they played against that defined them.

In other words, the competitive environment, each and every team finds themselves in, and of course, the subsequent results in that environment, are the defining qualities one looks for when assessing relative values.
A little research may well be appropriate sometimes.

I wish we did have real pro players over here, the US has them, but even then, only a handful, and I mean a handful.

The recent financial downturn in the paintball economy and the overall economy, has massively cut the support the pro teams were getting and therefore cut down the possibilities for players to achieve pro status.

But what really bashed the cr@p out of it all was the failure to get paintball on TV, this had everybody regretting the somewhat untimely investments they made into pro teams and players.
I say 'untimely' because most of the industry had gambled on the fact TV was inevitable and therefore felt honour-bound to jump on the TV bandwagon ... it would have been 'rude not to' was their philosophy it seems.

Ridiculous amounts of dosh were being bandied around at one stage.
I can remember being offered well over $100 grand just to leave Dye at the end of our first season (2003) - it was an insane amount of money and an insane time to be around pro paintball I can tell ya, truly insane.

I subsequently declined the offer by the way but can remember a certain player in my team at the time advising me to 'take the offer' and leave Dye ... it tunned out, the notion of loyalty was only ever adhered to in this guy's family when it revolved around the acquisition of money .... disloyalty and dishonesty, seemingly inextricably linked around the Kingston friary.

Sh!t, I have wandered slightly ... Dusty, apologies mate, I get carried away sometimes ... please don't delete it mate:)

Dusty

May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Sh!t, I have wandered slightly ... Dusty, apologies mate, I get carried away sometimes ... please don't delete it mate:)
I keep telling you, it's your house :cool:

Plus we all know everytime one of your posts gets deleted a puppy dies, and I like puppies too much ;)