Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is there still an ignorant bias that Paintball is dangerous?

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
Near my 12th birthday a long time ago, I was invited to one of my old friends paintball birthday party. My other friend (who was my best friend) said that he wasn't going because his mom told him that you could get killed (by getting shot in the temple from 1 foot away?) or lose your eyesight. Learning this and being the stupid little 12 year old I was, I told my other friend this and he didn't go either. After that, I didn't end up playing paintball again until I was 15, and loved it.

Where on earth did these people ever get the idea that you could get killed? :mad: Or lose your eyesight? Is this not one of the most ignorant thoughts ever?

Nobody plays paintball without a mask. Some people might take it off during a game but I seriously doubt that anybody plays without masks...

I'm assuming that my friends mom heard these "facts" from the media...does anybody ever remember reading an article or seeing something telling the world how dangerous paintball is?

In england we had some real bad press as the knock on effect from a Tv program BIker grove. Their story line ended up with a kid lifting his goggles being shot in his eyes plural and left tottally blind. (remember ant and dec)

It's just another uban mith.

Paintball not played safely has the possiblty of getting you seriously hurt that why you go to an estabished site who know how to keep it safe and fun.

DAM said I was getting off my soap box.:(

Quick some one burn it for me before it get's stuck to my feet.:eek:

confuzzed2

Scrub
Jul 10, 2001
Bossier City, Louisiana
It sounds like your friends mom had some bad facts that propably did come from the media (seeing as how they are very mis-informed about our sport). She propably had the best intentions for her child, but nobody to give her the proper information about the safety aspect of paintball. I have never seen an article stating anything along the lines of deaths, but other media venues (prime time tv) have portayed us in a rather unsafe manner. It is our job to educate everyone on the safety of paintball, because the media isnt doing it for us.

my .02

bm8282

Lite em' uper
Nov 19, 2001
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Well, if you got shot in the temple from one foot away it could do some major damage, why someone would shoot you in the temple from one foot away without a mask on i dont know! and even if ur mask is off, you most likely wont go blind, BUT ALWAYS KEEP THE DAMN THINGS ON!

Good luck, Stay Alive:D

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
I think a lot of the rumors stem from the dark past of paintball. When I first played, the only protection you got was a pair of industrial goggles. Not the best protection ever. I saw one of my mates earlobe been torn from the side of his face when shot at point blank with a "hot" phantom. There was no such thing as walk on days as we have now. If you had your own gun you were more than welcome to use it against punters with site guns.
Also safety was not as strictly adhered to. Many a time I saw people take off their masks to clean them (head shots didnt count). I am not saying that people were being blinded every weekend but I can see where some people might have been concerned about the dangers in the early days of paintball

bm8282

Lite em' uper
Nov 19, 2001
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Well there is dangers in every sport, football, people get parilized and some die, hockey people break legs, get stitched up, on rare occasions need medical help (throat hits), baseball i guess they could get hit with a ball or run into eachother, and golf has no injuries GO GOLF!! hehe:D

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
The reason why paintball is scrutinized so much is because it involved/involves people running around in army gear, shooting each other. Not very PC. Thats why paintball is trying to walk away from that image ( jerseys instead of cammo, markers instead of guns) The press have a field with a sport like paintball and its an easy target. Would the majority care if it was banned? I dont think so. Airsoft is getting a worse reputation ( The age group is younger, real looking guns, military tactics) and there has been a few times when its history looked really rocky.

tb-303

Shootin’ fools shootin’ fools
Oct 8, 2001
wolverhampton, UK
Guess you've never seen me play golf!! LOL,
actually being hit by a golf ball can really hurt and cause injury.my friend saw a guy get hit and if i'm not mistaken the guy died in hospital.the difference between golf and paintball is the fact golf is huge.and accidents can be brushed under the carpet pretty easily to protect the sport(look who plays actors, buisness guys, lawers, presidents!) that aint a sport which can be stopped it's too high profile. paintball i'm sorry to say ain't so. in the UK the media just say it's wanna be soldiers running round woods shooting each other(note this IS NOT my view)which we know is wrong.someone gets injured playing ball the papers will let us know about it.It happened not too long ago in the UK and paintball had about as much to do with the events as the brand of trainers the person was wearing at the time.but to the press paintball caused it all(no doubt you guys know about the incident in question,i'm not gonna go on about it)but the sad thing is this dead golf guy probually never made it to the papers.
paintball is a great sport and when played safely is great fun too.actually i think bm8282 started a thread about his goggles coming off.and it was interesting the number of people who flamed him for that.which is reasuring to know that we care about the sport and know the importance of playing safe.
tb-303

here's your soap box back sparklie! it's got that "well used" feel about it!

bm8282

Lite em' uper
Nov 19, 2001
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Yea tb i did get flamed for starting a thread about that, and it was nice to know that a lot of people care about safety, by the way thats terrible that some one died by a golf ball, i have to feel bad for that guy, I do remember i hit a guy in the back with a golf ball and the guy wanted to kick my ass..hehe...but i agree that if there is an injury they will try to cover it up to keep the sport active, when most people just think of paintball as encouraging violence, which is completely inaccurate!:D

yes just like a fav pair or shoes....

Did you try them on too?

Did get rather stuck on there the other day (my soap box)

I only managed to get off by sliping my feet out leaving the shoes;)

Hey wander what big Jakies up to these days now theres a none pc man eating feminst if ever there was one

How did it go come here young man I want to have my wicked way with you and then verbally catrate you:eek:

watched whole room of men spell bound and wicing :(