The Home Of European Paintball

Large Barrel/Short Barrel

Albercent

Alb 2k3
Oct 19, 2002
Devon
Visit site
:)

Cool, So Are Long Barrels Actually More Accurate?

I Know That In The Case OF Airpistols A Barrel Extesion Of 2" Will Make The Pellet Go Another 50/70 fps, but then u dont crono them :)

MrPink

Banned
Aug 15, 2002
Cook$ mom's house
www.ltpaintball.com
Long barrels are no more accurate than short barrels (unless you're talking 6" or less) the most important thing is
- and join in everyone -
Paint to Barrel match. I play with 12" (ooer) and find this length good for me (I play Front or Stupidly far to quote my back line!) Some of my Back and Mid boyz like 14" but that's more to sight down than actual accuracy.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Originally posted by MrPink
Long barrels are no more accurate than short barrels (unless you're talking 6" or less) the most important thing is
- and join in everyone -
Paint to Barrel match. I play with 12" (ooer) and find this length good for me (I play Front or Stupidly far to quote my back line!) Some of my Back and Mid boyz like 14" but that's more to sight down than actual accuracy.
yip exactly. I use 14" cos I find it easier to sight down!

Paul.

(

PB007

Jul 4, 2002
Washington, USA
Here we go again...

Actually there are many articles out there that say just the opposite. First thing Boomies have porting along the hole tip of the barrel. So barrels with holes in them do not affect the range of the paintball. Tom Kaye (owner of Airgun Designs) hired the people from Kodak to come out to his factory and shoot some high speed film of paintball guns firing to see what happens when the ball comes out of the barrel, etc. Thier tests disprove manufacturer claims that the holes in their barrels reduce air pressure in front of the ball, therefore not improving accuracy, what makes the most difference is paint to barrel match and good paint. A paintball does not care what barrel it came from or how slippery the inside of the barrel was after it has left the gun. Accuracy is affected mainly by what happens to the ball AFTER IT HAS LEFT THE GUN. If the ball has paint on it or is dirty, the paint will alter the flight of the ball due to irregularities in the flow of air over the surface of the ball. If wind pushes on the ball, it forces it off course and it will not go where you thought it would. If the seam is not formed well, or the ball is out of round, the air will not flow evenly over the ball and it will go off course.

Micah

Here we go again...

Originally posted by PB007
what makes the most difference is paint to barrel match and good paint.
Yet no one can quite seem to agree on exactly what makes a "perfect" match or how best to match paint to barrel.

Another thing that has a big affect on accuracy (and I can believe you guys didnt mention this) is The moon phase as related to how shiney your gun is.

it's all about perseption. If you feel like you're never going to hit anything with a 6inch barrel than you wont. I bearly notice a difference playing with anythign form 6-14inches. why? BEcause I don't care and I don't let it bother me. But hey, there's got to be a reason I'm not playing in the NXL next year.

-Micah

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
There is no such thing as accuracy

As anyone who has ever seen me play can attest. Long rant ahead.

Actually, it isn't accuracy. We are shooting poorly made water balloons if you think about it - what person in their right mind would snipe with a spitball with the aerodynamic qualities of a Volkswagen? Other than Salm?

What we seek is consistency, not accuracy. We want to create conditions that cause our paintballs to all hit at the same distance as close together (grouping) as possible. Those conditions depend on the paintballs being identical (spherically and in blemishes), the paintballs fitting the barrel in the same way and the air that reaches that paintball hitting it with the same force in the same place each time.

After it leaves the marker, we have humidity, temperature, wind and (for uphill shots) gravity to contend with. Stability of shooting platform and speed of compensation of aim of the followup shot are the only thing we can affect once we're on the field.

Each paintball leaves the muzzle at + / - 10 fps of the previous one everything else being equal. Doesn't matter if it's coming from a tube the short length of my Johnson or an eighteen inch sword, it still is adjusted such that it leaves the muzzle at 295 (or whatever) fps. It's going roughly the same distance every time.

How much it's exit characteristics (spin, yaw, turbulence, shape) match it's predecessor's out the muzzle, and how much the conditions it meets (wind etc) stayed the same determine how closely it'll hit to its predecessor.

The proof is simple to provide - accuracy by volume is the standard. One shot one kill is for whenever I'm supposed to avoid shooting a team mate crossing my shooting lane.

Exhaling,
Larry Janecka

Smitty

Scenerio-DoItInTheWoods
Aug 29, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Visit site
I must agree with most of what you said.

There are two factors in hitting the target without spray/pray technique: The 1st (and most important) is the consistancy. If you have one paintball leaving the gun at 300 fps, then the next leaving at 290, then 310, ect you do not have consistancy and it is more difficult to place paintballs in a small area.

The 2nd is acuracy. There is such a thing of accuracy in paintball, but it is the player that produces it. The more you move the gun the more off your accuracy will be. When the gun shoots and re-cocks it will move, the more it moves the more difficult it is to hit the same spot. When the player pulls the trigger he/she may move the marker as well. These items effect the accuracy.

If you have a gun that is 100% consistant (VERY hard to do, best may be +-1 fps) and has a hard mount so that it does not move at all then you would have the best chance of hitting the same spot each time. Of course you won't because of the errors in the shells, etc, but it will be close.

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
i figure that as someone said above that as we all shoot at the same velocity then we are all gonna be shooting the same distance...only things that would change this would be wind, shape of paint, weight of paint....so as long as the paint wasnt pinched by the barrel or slopping about in it then it should be going in a straight line......so surely bore size has more to do with it?

personally i use and have for ages a 14inch jacko infinity barrel
if i find anything that works better id change but i never have!