The Home Of European Paintball

Length: 10,12,14,16,18?

Bob

www.inlinewalking.com
Oct 12, 2005
Aberdeen
www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk
I've hear alot of stuff about different barrel lengths:

the shorter the less accurate, longer more accurate.

the longer the more gas is used, but quieter. etc
True or myth?

Anyone explain accuracy/noise/consistancy changes that might be caused by barrel length (not bore).

I currently use a 14 inch barrel but also use 10 inch for re-balling. I'm going to change the lengh tip on my UL to a 12'.

+ whats peoples personal preference?

I searched to see if this had already been done, i guess so but couldn't find it. Anyways i'm sure alot of people don't have much else to do right now, or like me am avoiding doing it!:)

boddy

Aug 29, 2005
Birmingham
having a longer barrel does improve accuracy slightly, but nothing major IMO.I prefer to use a 14 inch as its in the middle of what you can get thus making it a gd all rounder, accurate enough to shoot peeps, but short enough to not get shot by peeps. :D

Shylad

Checkout the pussy
Sep 23, 2004
Sunny Brum
IMO the best barrel out there at the mo is the Redz Pepperstick.
Be it the one-piece or the multi-bore kit.
New users should see an increase in accuracy and air efficiency. This is because they have the
longest backs in the industry at 8", this is the main bit of the barrel so weather you have a 10"
or a 16", the only part that makes contact with the paintball is the back.
Think i'm right but no doube someone will correct me if i'm wrong:p

My 2p;)

Simon.

Skeet

Platinum Member
I would agree with Shylad, I have a full Pepper Stick kit on my XSV (See gorgeous guns!!).

They have 8 inch "Control Backs"...the best length is 6-8 inches to do the job properly, and teh same applies to barrels:D

6-8 inches is teh required amount to fully accelerate a ball...teh front then, allows for a quieter shot, if its ported...but a long front can affect efficiency, as all teh porting, if your using shorter backs, means gas can escape, which would otherwise propel teh ball, so you use more of it for a desired velocity.

I have been using a 16 inch barrel all day to day, shoots straight, efficient enough, so its all good.

14 is fine, as you quite rightly say, because it is a hppy medium...teh longer barrel can be used to push into a bunker, so you can shoot, but remain tight.

Dominus-UK

I'm a noob at IRL..
Nov 24, 2003
West Sussex
Visit site
Has there been any tests on things such as air flow affecting the ball? By that I mean air flow around the ball, for instance freak barrels which after the insert go to a much higher bore, and so the air flowing around the ball would probably affect it..

Skeet

Platinum Member
To be honest...I use a "Free Air" extension on my match rifle...teh idea of this, is taht it much wider than teh bore, and so teh bullet, or in our case, ball...would exit into "Still Air", which is proven to aid accuracy in rifles.

So a wider bore front, is a good thing.
Not that I think Freaks are good, coz I dont...they were good, but they arent now...better kits out there.

bulldog2k

Nothing over 10" affects accuracy, but people may have other reasons for preferring a longer barrel. Barrels TOO long are inaccurate because any small movements are amplified at the barrel tip.

Many users find 14" a sensible compromise