Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium entry fee up xx%

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
WDP now have the money to put on a European tournament and battle it out with the Millennium series for as long as it takes, but why should they.

Why not just walk into the Millennium offices and say

"Here is some money, now take a hike"

Guaranteed to be cheaper in the longer term

go-one

Guaranteed to be cheaper in the longer term
Not sure it would be as all the promoters in the MS would want some money. WDP would be stuck (certainly for 07) with deals set up by the MS that they would claim to be able to do better / cheaper themselves. And that's assuming they want to use the MS venues etc etc which they probably don't if you take the PP methodology ! Which of course would likely be 7 man and the MS is already geared / contracted at the top to do CPL / SPL etc :cool:

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Two leagues is not feasible. All that gets you is two businesses losing money instead of one business maybe making a little profit.

Nick has hit the nail on the head - there is no reason to spend massive money to compete with Millenium when the prize is replacing Millenium. That's a pretty crappy prize, financially.

PSPGeoff

Eezo 4 Ultimate!!!
Apr 7, 2006
NoR-CaN
www.pspevents.com
I believe one of the reasons PP couldn't make the NPPL pay was because a large proportion on their staff came from over here, I ain't saying the reduction in travel costs will offset this problem but it would help.
We tried having an american staff and it took twice as many of them twice as long... Having a 75% English staff ( and 15% canadian ) actually saved us money... Don't get me wrong we prob. just had the wrong yanks... but the english did the job very well...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Not sure it would be as all the promoters in the MS would want some money. WDP would be stuck (certainly for 07) with deals set up by the MS that they would claim to be able to do better / cheaper themselves. And that's assuming they want to use the MS venues etc etc which they probably don't if you take the PP methodology ! Which of course would likely be 7 man and the MS is already geared / contracted at the top to do CPL / SPL etc :cool:

Go-One, I think maybes that if they did decide to hit Europe, the format would be viewed as a mere detail that needed to be tweaked ... and trust me, it would be tweaked in a heartbeat !!!

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Cheaper in the long term for WDP. MS are up and set to run this year, so coming and setting up a competitive series at this time may not be financially profitable. Whereas a one fee buy out means no competition to eat into your profit margin.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Cheaper in the long term for WDP. MS are up and set to run this year, so coming and setting up a competitive series at this time may not be financially profitable. Whereas a one fee buy out means no competition to eat into your profit margin.

DW, I don't think WDP will buy out the Millennium at all for several reasons not least of which the Millennium Board would want far too much for it, well certainly too much for WDP's liking and circumstance.

As for competition in that first year?
WDP wouldn't necessarily come in with a 5 tourney series in direct competition, their strategy would be a lot more subtle and sophisticated than that.

In my opinion, they would start off with a bang with one tourney, big prize money probably and give everybody a taste of what they're about.
Once that's done there would be a gradual progression with each tourney costed and promoted within very defined lines of financial operation.

WDP will be able to dictate their own rate of control of the European tourney market by controlling the number of events they promote.
They would choose locations and timing extremely carefully to have the maximum amount of pain levied against the Millennium coupled with the maximum amount of 'Bang for your Buck' for the teams and vendors.

But let's face it, we could all be getting way ahead of ourselves here, WDP might well be licking thier wounds for some time to come, or maybe not ....

MissyQ

Jan 9, 2006
Harlem, NY
Visit site
But let's face it, we could all be getting way ahead of ourselves here, WDP might well be licking thier wounds for some time to come, or maybe not ....
I have heard of a certain figure (it could be way out) that was allegedly paid for PP / NPPL and if this is the case it certainly allows WDP to get behind their new marker in terms of promotion and marketing but would also free them up to attack 'other' markets ..........
Are they licking wounds or counting money?
Can it really be both?
;)
an unusual amount of 'hedging' going on here:D

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
We tried having an american staff and it took twice as many of them twice as long... Having a 75% English staff ( and 15% canadian ) actually saved us money... Don't get me wrong we prob. just had the wrong yanks... but the english did the job very well...
Staff you know is always better than staff you don't.

I've been staffing events for three years now. It is damned near impossible to keep qualified people when you're employing them for 5 weeks a year. So I don't doubt for a second that WDP using people they employed the other 47 weeks a year that they knew were good people worked out better for them than trying to hire new people every year for 5 weeks and having no clue how capable they were.

But, those other people were still in Britain, and flying them over was still expensive. Nringing known people from Europe, even if it's less expensive than hiring unknown people in the states, is still more expensive than having known people in the states.