Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium Malaga SPL and Div 1 CANCELLED!

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
My first post on my own thread after cooling down a little from the weekend:

The big downside new netting system that I see is that it severely restricts the view for spectators, especially where these is a field entrance on the spectator side. The velcro edging of the netting itself failed in a couple of places and needed patching, so that could be improved. As for wind resistance, there is little that I can think of that can be done to improve its performance, because there is not much to prevent it collapsing downwards when pushed over by the wind. At least permanent damage is relative unlikely to result.

As for the traditional netting systems: the hardware in use was in a poor state of repair before the event started, with serious rust and visibly bent poles. More importantly, it was inadequately secured, with no 45-degree guy lines to take wind loads, so all the force was transmitted to the relatively small footprint of the bases via the ratchet straps. There was, as far as I am aware, a single pole failure when the wind got up, which is about standard for any Millennium, and the rest of the field only failed while they were trying to lower the netting, causing uneven loads on the whole structure.

The copy of PGi I chucked in the top of my kitbag for the benefit of curious security staff happened to contain the review of last year's Malaga event, with a double-page photo of the fields. It could be seen that the netting poles in that setup had 45-degree guylines, which don't amplify wind forces as the small-angle straps do. If the same system in use this year had been properly tethered from the outset, I don't believe it would have failed.

Luke W

The Firm
Oct 7, 2006
Salford
If the same system in use this year had been properly tethered from the outset, I don't believe it would have failed.
I disagree. :)

Along with the rest of the Division 1, SPL and CPL players, I'm devastated that we only got to play two games. However, the netting wasn't the only problem caused by the wind. Many of the tents for the pits were blown over and I know several tents in the trade stand area had to be taken down because of the wind. Maybe a better angle for the ratchet straps would have helped, but with winds at the speed it was at, I don't think it would have been the soloution. I'm suprised more netting didn't just tear away from the poles before it could be let down.

However, a couple of the problems I saw was the lack of turf. There was no turf outside of the fields for the pits or for walking round to the pits, meaning if you put anything down in the pits, it got sandy, and you had to drag kit and paint through the sand. Also, the fields were really bumpy making it far too easy to trip over.

As it has been mentioned above, the doors or the netting on the spectator side got in the way of watching games and made it far too easy to just walk on the field.

I was also expecting more security with who was allowed to be where, eg. having to have a wristband to go into the pits/ID cards being checked before playing etc.

Overall, I enjoyed it whilst it lasted and look forward to playing Germany as, at the end of the day nothing much could have been done to stop the wind.

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
As it has been mentioned above, the doors or the netting on the spectator side got in the way of watching games
Which is funny as the event was cancelled :D

As for getting sand in your kit bag.................... You are on a beach what did you expect?

The Millennium are going to spray the sand next year with a silcon solution, they use this at the Bahrain Grand Prix so the sand does not blow around. The cost of this is about 5,000,000 million euro's, but seeing as they have the entrance fees from malaga there is the down payment! So this should keep everyone happy :D

Luke if I was you I would contact the Millennium and send them a email about the sand as I have a feeling they did not know sand get's into things, just a thought you may want to try it. I think part of the issue with them not knowing is they were blinded by the wind kicking up some stuff at the weekend.

Edit........ Just spoken to the Millennium and they stated they are sorry it was the wrong kind of sand! It was Spannish sand and not the English sand they ordered

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
PP alwaaays got the right sand, and you even got fruit. Those guys were amazing. But hey it's not a competition.....

I'm sure Germany will be great and everyone will forget about Malaga (which, so it seems, had it not been for the wind would also have been fine - bar incorrect sand)...

ToxicPaintballz

The Real NK #41
Apr 5, 2004
Visit site
Why should everyone forget malaga? It was a trainwreck of an event and the teams deserve compensation for wasting our weekends. Why can't they hold events in underground lairs with no wind? Who cares about the location its all about the games, and any dumbass knows that its bound to get windy on the beach. Besides laying astroturf on sand was another stupid idea, cant slide properly on that stuff!

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
If they do hold them underground then the players would moan that the lighting was better at one end of the field!

Mind you I could do a side line in night vision goggles so maybe not a bad idea!

I personally think the teams should cough up some money to help the Millennium out as they would have lost a load of cash this weekend and all the teams had to pay for was some flights, they would have stayed in cheap hotels and they only had to buy a couple of boxes of paint so they have spare cash. So come on let's have a whip around and help them out.

:D

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Why should everyone forget malaga? It was a trainwreck of an event and the teams deserve compensation for wasting our weekends. Why can't they hold events in underground lairs with no wind? Who cares about the location its all about the games, and any dumbass knows that its bound to get windy on the beach. Besides laying astroturf on sand was another stupid idea, cant slide properly on that stuff!
I'm not saying people should forget, I said everyone will forget.....paintballers are mostly a fickle bunch. The biggest threads on here are about how shiny guns are....the MS have been doing this for years, forget player unity and player rights, if you want amazing events they need competition - not that such a thing could ever happen in this climate (or at all arguably).

The real Notorious Kidz huh? Hope you were winning your games!...

Chris Bell

Oct 16, 2004
www.mercurypaintball.com
Fuengirola Beach Cup

Guys,

I realise you players must feel frustrated about not being able to play, but remember so was everyone else as well. The decision to suspend wasn't taken lightly, it was taken for safety reasons, that is, your safety and every other person on the site. The wind has been confirmed at gusting to 100km/hr. How can you possibly play in a wind that strong? The Council said the flag on the castle tower has never blown down in the 15 years its been there, Saturday afternoon it did! . None of you have lost points or positions, you'll have to play later on, not ideal but that's how it is. Lighten up guys, s*** happens, and God ain't a baller!

Chris Bell

Oct 16, 2004
www.mercurypaintball.com
If they do hold them underground then the players would moan that the lighting was better at one end of the field!

Mind you I could do a side line in night vision goggles so maybe not a bad idea!

I personally think the teams should cough up some money to help the Millennium out as they would have lost a load of cash this weekend and all the teams had to pay for was some flights, they would have stayed in cheap hotels and they only had to buy a couple of boxes of paint so they have spare cash. So come on let's have a whip around and help them out.

:D
Yeah cool idea, you get the goggles and I'll do flourescent paint